How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2013
fashion elite

wow. i hope this is a sign of things to come from her. it's a really unexpected and fresh choice.

04-01-2013
scenester

I actually really like that dress on her! I don't know why, but it just works on her...because its really about 1 bad accessory away from looking like Chiquita Banana lol. Dyyying to see what she does for Golden Globes/Oscars....I'd love to see her in something from Dior's Spring 13 RTW or Couture collections

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

Kerry Washington - attends the 'Django Unchained' photocall at the Hassler Hotel in Rome - Jan. 4, 2013 - tlfan.to

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

'Django Unchained' Rome Premiere

getty

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

getty

05-01-2013
tfs star

Januray 4th - 'Django Unchained' premiere at Cinema Adriano

kerry-washington.us

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

Wow, one of her best looks in a looong time. And for the first time in ages, I like her hair.

05-01-2013
tfs star

Agreed. Her hair is looking fabulous. Although, I really liked her natural look in Django Unchained, too. Anyway, great make-up, love the bracelet and the shoes. The dress is really sleek and elegant on her.

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

I wish most black actresses would keep their natural hair or at least have it more often. Like Thandie Newton, who also looks great with her natural hair. Viola Davis, too. But at the moment, Kerry's hair has been looking much better than it has been the past two years.

And she's not black, but Julianna Margulies uses a wig for The Good Wife because she didn't want to straighten her curly locks every day for work. How refreshing.

05-01-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
I wish most black actresses would keep their natural hair or at least have it more often. Like Thandie Newton, who also looks great with her natural hair. Viola Davis, too. But at the moment, Kerry's hair has been looking much better than it has been the past two years.

And she's not black, but Julianna Margulies uses a wig for The Good Wife because she didn't want to straighten her curly locks every day for work. How refreshing.
Brace yourself, more race discussion from me. I feel like I've been bringing this up a lot lately, and I hope people aren't rolling their eyes by now; at any rate, hair is a big deal in the black community. As a black woman myself, I've had my hair relaxed since I was thirteen years old (I'm now 22). I might have had it done younger except my mom is awesome and she refused to put me through that until I was old enough to rationally choose for myself. But a lot of it is societal pressure. I remember being surprised at how supportive people were of Viola Davis when she wore her hair naturally throughout most of awards season, because growing up you get all sorts of horrible, disparaging comments from children and adults alike, not just from people of other races but primarily from other blacks as well.

Moreover, given Kerry's and Viola's job as actresses, they're under even more pressure to look "nonthreatening." They have to conform to a Eurocentric standard of beauty. Nothing but natural hair could've worked for Django Unchained, but I wonder if the producers or powers that be of Scandal would let her walk onto set without her hair straightened. And yes, I know the creator Shonda Grimes is black. That said, Kerry seems to have had her hair natural a lot more often than most black actresses, particularly early in her career. Save the Last Dance, The United States of Leland, The Last King of Scotland, and now Django.

Last edited by chickadee; 05-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.

05-01-2013
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Moreover, given Kerry's and Viola's job as actresses, they're under even more pressure to look "nonthreatening." They have to conform to a Eurocentric standard of beauty.
Sad truth.

For that reason, I hope she doesn't wear her hair like this all the time, even though it's lovely. I think her hair always/has always looked great. I actually may prefer it natural.

I actually hate this dress, love the idea of it, and she looks smoking hot, but I'm not crazy about the circle shape at front or ballooning at the leg -- reminds me of the '80s too much.

05-01-2013
V.I.P.

Unfortunately chickadee, you're right. I know a young mixed girl with beautiful hair similar to Quvezhane Wallis but wants it super straight because all of her friends have straight hair. So sad.

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

Kerry Washington, sporting an Obama/Biden iPhone cover, is seen leaving Pierluigi in Rome after having lunch with her 'Django Unchained' director Quentin Tarantino

zimbio

07-01-2013
V.I.P.

'Django Unchained' Paris Premiere - Red Carpet Arrival

getty

07-01-2013
V.I.P.

Ok, did she hire a new stylist? Suddenly, I'm liking her style a whole lot more.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kerry, washington