How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

She is fabulous on Ellen! Just gorgeous and sweet and intelligent.

And while we're all mentioning how wonderful her event style and risk taking is, may I also opine that her candid or street style is also one of the very best of a celeb, which makes her doubly wonderful!!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

Kirsten Dunst's beauty line?

Kirsten Dunst would be interested in launching a line of 'inexpensive' beauty products. During an interview with USA Today published Monday, the 29-year-old actress explained that her partner of choice could be US department store Target, whose website crashed earlier this year when the limited edition Missoni for Target line went on sale.

"I see all these people making so much money off the weirdest things! I just feel like [branded products are] a smart way to make money for doing independent films. I am someone who really cares about the products I put out.

" Even if it was inexpensive, I'd want it to be really well done. I feel like Target does a really good job with that. I do love nice-smelling things. We'll see what happens," she told the publication.

Thoughts?

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
On Conan O'Brien (10th November 2011).

kirstenimages

Wow, she's really promoting this film.

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

no wonder considering how much damage Cannes incident did to her comeback and possible Oscar nom. she has to double her promotion to the one other possible runnerups are doing atm. i am not sure she will succeed in it, i'm afraid.

11-11-2011
fashion elite

She looks great at Conan (from what I can see), must watch the episode.

@dajrekshn I really hope she can overcome the damage LArs' outburst made, I really hope you are wrong, I am surprised she did not take part in the Hollywood Reporter roundtable along the likes of Carey and Charlize

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

Carey's a great example to what i was referring to when it comes to doubling your promotion - she did just few appearances over the last couple of months and there was absolutely not much talk about the supporting actress nom and look at her now doing all the roundtables. those roundtables are basically bigger "filter" of what we can expect in the finish line when it comes to award season and Kiki, as far as i know, hasn't been to any of these. as you said, i really hope i'm wrong, but unless Melancholia doesn't open big in the US to boost Kiki bit more into the spotlight, i really doubt it. it's a shame actually, i thought she and Charlotte did magnificant job on it.

oh well, if anything, the good thing about all of this for us is that we're getting tons of pics and that, when it comes to fashion, Kiki has definitely come back.

11-11-2011
V.I.P.

I'd like to see those strappy shoes and a full shot of the Conan outfit, but her hair looks pretty much perfecto!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

11-11-2011
trendsetter

What happened in Cannes had no effect on her winning there but the Oscar voters are a funny bunch. The Best actress category is going to be an odd one this year, the only lock right now looks like Viola Davis with a good five or six possibles, Kiki included, though I do think she's towards the bottom of the pile. It's certainly not like what happened with Natalie, a big buzz in Venice then a steam roll to the finish line and she's by no means guaranteed a nomination. We'll see what happens when the Critics awards start she's likely to pick up a few there, possibly a GG nomination. I'd like to see her have a good red carpet season though she always makes interesting choices.

11-11-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

I guess she broke up with her boyfriend if she's living in LA but not with him. Sad!

12-11-2011
V.I.P.

Kirsten Dunst talks "Melancholia," Lars Von Trier and the "Spider-man" reboot

Kirsten Dunst, though still only 29, has been around for quite some time. Put it this way: remember 'Bonfire of the Vanities,' the critical and box-office train wreck from 1990 with Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis? Kirsten Dunst is in that movie. Since, 1989 Kirsten Dunst has been in a lot of movies, but 'Melancholia' may be her best performance yet.

In Lars von Trier's new film, Dunst plays Justine, a newlywed whose wedding could not have gone more wrong and whose planet, Earth, will soon be destroyed by a collision with a rogue planet called Melancholia. (Yeah, this is not a feel good movie.) Moviefone sat down for a long chat with Dunst, discussing her feelings toward director Lars von Trier after his ill-fated "Hitler" remarks at Cannes, her thoughts about a new Spider-Man franchise being launched so soon (and don't you dare get confused and call it 'Superman' by mistake, which happens to Dunst regularly), and her memories of being a child actor on the sets of 'Bonfire of the Vanities,' 'Star Trek: The Next Generation,' and, of course, 'Interview with the Vampire.'

I find this movie hard to talk about.
Well, it's hard to explain to people. Especially when you're doing the quick kind of questions. Like, "So, what's this movie about?" It's not really a movie that you can sum up. And everyone has such a different experience watching this film -- which is pretty incredible. It's not manipulative in anyway; that it tells you how to feel afterwards. Some of my friends were smiling afterwards. Some were shaken to the core.

Smiling?
My one friend is like beaming afterwards!

Maybe she was just happy for you? With your performance.
No, no ... she found a lot of hope in the film.

Here's what scared me when I was doing research for this: There are twice as many rogue planets in our galaxy then there are stars.
Really?

This could actually happen.
Really? I didn't know that. But they're staying in their zone? But, then again, they are rogue, so... Well, I don't know, if it happens, at least we're all here for it. That's pretty crazy.

Is this your best role? What you're most proud of?
I'm proud of so many movies. I've always done things that ... I was proud of 'Virgin Suicides.' I'm proud of a lot of things in my career. 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,' I was very proud to be in that movie.

I am very fond of that movie.
It's beautiful. When you reach an audience of people enjoying films that you do, it's so satisfying as an actor. Because you want to be part of storytelling -- and to affect people is what your job is. And that is the best when it works and people really celebrate the movie and they come up to you and are emotionally moved by it. I mean, that's your job. So, when that happens, and all of it falls into place, and it's a good film, it's great to be a part of that.

But with 'Melancholia,' you have to know that a good many people aren't going to get it.
Yeah, it's a Lars von Trier movie. You know, it's not for everybody. I think of all his films, this is probably the most accessible one -- in a way, I think.

I don't disagree with that.
And there are a lot of cast members in the beginning. It's kind of funny in the beginning. And the idea of a planet hitting you, just brings up all your feelings of death and being human and what that means. Like, we have one life to live and all of those things. Our mortality, all of it. So I think that all of the themes are very relatable -- that's what I mean as accessible.

I'm under the assumption that this isn't supposed to matter, so this may be a stupid question, but your character doesn't have a British accent, but the rest of your character's family does...
I know, I asked Lars that, too. It doesn't matter. I was like, "OK, maybe I went to boarding school somewhere?" I'm supposed to have a different dad. That's not supposed to be Charlotte's dad, that's my father. But I asked Lars about that, too, because I started watching interviews with Charlotte -- both Charlottes [Gainsbourg and Rampling] -- and Charlotte Gainsbourg doesn't really have a British accent, it just sounds very proper to me... But, yeah, Lars couldn't care less.

Your character almost becomes supernatural. How do you interpret that?
For me, I thought, well, maybe I'm from this planet? It's like my mother Earth coming. So that was one of the things I used as what that planet meant to me. The familiarity, of some sorts.

I have a stupid question.
[Laughs] You've said that before, they're not stupid. What is it?

I know this isn't the point of the movie...
See, ask fun ones...

While we watch what's going on in front of us on-screen, do you think there's a mission of some sorts to stop the planet from hitting Earth?
I never thought about that. I know exactly what you mean. I never thought about that once...

I'm sorry.
No! If I had seen the movie, I'd maybe think about that, too – because I experienced it and I can't watch it with fresh eyes. I don't have those kind of things floating around in my head. But I did always think that Charlotte's line, "I'm going to the village"... The village? You know [laughs], what? It's like old-timey talk there. But I think it's cool that it's periodless-ish.

There is an Internet.
Yeah, there is an Internet. And there are cars. But even the Internet, the images kind of feel not so modern.

And once the Internet goes out, maybe there is a rescue mission. You wouldn't know.
I like the way your mind goes. You're really seeing the big picture [laughs].

Does it make you angry that you have to answer question after question about Lars' Hitler comments at Cannes, as opposed to a role that you put a lot of effort into?
I didn't think that way while that was happening. I was like, "Oh my God, my friend is spiraling out of control with this. This isn't going to go over well." I was shocked that he kept going. And I was so embarrassed, too, for him. I thought about him first and what was happening in the moment. And I didn't know the repercussions, but I also knew that the film stood on its own and it wasn't going to affect the film.

So you weren't angry?
I wasn't angry with him. I was angry with what he was saying, while he was saying it. I know Lars, too. I was angry that I kept having to talk about it, but I wasn't ever feeling like, "Oh, this is going to overshadow what I did in the film." I never thought that.

What are your feelings about the Spider-Man movies being rebooted so soon? Does it feel at all like what you guys did is being erased in the sense of almost, "Look at the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone now, forget about what Tobey and Kirsten had."
Right. I don't feel that way. I feel what we did was special and I don't think that goes away. I don't think so.

Do you think there's a push to forget your movies and just pay attention to the new series?
I don't think they will. I don't feel that way. Also there's a new generation of kids that will watch these and this will be theirs. These are the people they'll identify with as Spider-Man. But I think what we did was special enough that it won't... I don't feel that way. And I do like those two, I do think they're going to be good together.

When looking at your filmography, there's a lot of stuff that I completely forgot that you're in. Like 'Bonfire of the Vanities.'
Oh, yeah! When I was really little.

What were your memories of 'Bonfire of the Vanities'?
I remember sitting in the backseat of a car and there was a dachshund sitting in the car with me. And I remember feeling so nauseous because we were driving. And in the scene, we just kept having to turn around and do it again. The dachshund threw up on me, or something. I remember that. And they dyed my hair brown for that. I remember that was vegetable dye – I thought that was weird. But Tom Hanks was so nice to me. And so was Kim Cattrall. Tom, he's like a dad to me; he's just the kindest dude.

Then, long before you hosted, you were on 'Saturday Night Live' as a child.
That's fun, because the one time I hosted, they put on the clips of the things that I had done. I was a child actress then, I did commercials and modeling and, like, it was the same thing. I auditioned for a Victoria Jackson [parody] commercial and they picked some cute kids and I was one of them. It's awesome. In the hallway when you first walk into 'SNL,' I'm sitting there as a young child with curly blond hair sitting next to Dana Carvey. Awesome.

That's an intimidating place.
I was so little. When you're little, you're not intimidated. You're just a kid having fun. Now, though, when I go back, it's so impressive what they do every week in that space.

And then you did 'Star Trek: The Next Generation.'
Oh, yeah. That's funny, because I went to audition for that the day that I got 'Interview with the Vampire.' And it was like a buzz of, whatever. It's like, "Oh, they cast the girl." I went to audition for 'Star Wars' and I got it and they were all so nice to me. They were like, "Oh, congratulations, we heard you got this role." So I'm sure I got the role just because I landed that part.

To save you from rabid fans, I must point out you said 'Star Wars' instead of 'Star Trek'.
Oh! 'Star Trek'! Sorry. I'm tired. I mean, people call 'Spider-Man,' to me, 'Superman.'

Really?
Yes! So they can't do that to me.

Who gets those two confused? They seem very different.
All the time! People will ask me a question and I have to say, "No, it's 'Spider-Man.'"

So you don't let that go.
Well, if we were talking, I'd be like, "'Spider-Man'!" But a person on the street, I'm like, "Whatever. They thought they said 'Spider-Man.' It's fine."

You mentioned 'Interview with the Vampire." It's been 17 years since that came out. How do you look back on that now?
I mean... really fond memories. I was treated so lovely on that set. And, still to this day, in terms of where we shot and costumes and sets and everything – I mean, they burned down an entire fake village. Things that I still haven't seen to this day, done on that film – in terms of the money spent and the quality of what was there. It was really unbelievable.

blog.moviefone.com

12-11-2011
V.I.P.

that's a great interview, thanks LB!

12-11-2011
.my prison is your brain.

this, super adorable and candid interview with Peter Travers from Rolling Stone:

12-11-2011
tfs star

Thanks HeatherAnne She really was cute in that video especially when she started to do the cheer

12-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
unless Melancholia doesn't open big in the US to boost Kiki bit more into the spotlight, i really doubt it. it's a shame actually, i thought she and Charlotte did magnificant job on it.
When will it open in North America? It is already available to order and watch on on demand!

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill

12-11-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

^ It opened yesterday in New York.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, december, dunst, june, kirsten