How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-11-2005
trendsetter

26 November 2005 - the 15th annual Haute Couture Ball du Crillon, Paris
The new debutantes were as follows: (so far, these are the only known debs)

Rainsford Qualley, daughter of Andie McDowell (she wore Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture)

Sofia Barclay, wearing Elie Saab dress (granddaughter of British press magnate Sir David Barclay)

Yasmin Kerr, daughter of Simple Minds singer Jim Kerr and Pretenders frontwoman Chrissie Hynde

Nadine Ghosn, daughter of Renault boss Carlos Ghosn

Ashley Bush (in Ralph Lauren)

Molly Flattery, granddaughter of Steve McQueen, in Christian Dior

30-11-2005
windowshopping

Here's a couple of pics of Rainsford's dress -- I'm not too keen on it, although she is a very lovely girl. Credit JJB.

30-11-2005
trendsetter

Andie MacDowell's daughter, Rainsford, was a debutante this year. Here are some pics of them together from Abaca Press. In the first pic, Andie is taking a picture of Rainsford sitting with another debutante, Sofia Barclay, whose sister Jenna was a debutante last year.

Last edited by CTstyle; 30-11-2005 at 03:27 AM.
30-11-2005
trendsetter

Marie de Villepin was a debutante this year. Here are four pics, from olycom:

30-11-2005
scenester

so i know this is stupid but um what exactly is going on here?

04-12-2005
backstage pass

Can someone please explain to me more about this ball? What exactly is it? How are the debutantes chosen? Do you have to be well known and what age are these debutantes? Thanks!

09-12-2005
front row

They are talking about a debutante ball that occurs every year in Paris at the Crillon hotel to usher young women into society.

Quote:
The Debutante Ball is held every year at the pucker Hotel Crillon, overlooking the Place de la Concorde. It is a strange throwback to the days when prince so-and-so of Russia would meet princess so-and-so of France and live, in true fairy tale style, happily ever after.
The annual ball, sponsored by the ultra-chic Crillon hotel and by Mikimoto pearls of Japan as a benefit for the Pierre and Marie Curie Foundation, has been taking place for a decade. Money raised goes to Aids and Cancer charities. Admission is strictly by invitation only - but it helps if you have blue blood in your veins.

These days the ball brings together the great fashion houses, from Vivienne Westwood to Christian Lacroix, and the budding roses of the international social scene - nowadays more used to wearing jeans and trainers than the sweeping gowns of Haute Couture. Each of the 24 invited débutantes represents a leading international fashion house, so you can just imagine the excitement of these teenage girls, given the chance in a lifetime to dress up, get snapped in Tatler and Harpers & Queen...and then return to the real world.

The guest list, although dominated by the international aristocracy, also includes celebrities from the world of art and sport - an attempt, perhaps, to bring the ball into the 21st century. Debutantes are introduced, accompanied by their brothers, boyfriends and emotional mothers (who remember the romance of their own deb balls) before sitting down for a meal, then being swept off their feet on the dance floor.

09-12-2005
front row

Photo from the year the Traina sisters and the Hearst sisters were presented.

There are regional debutante balls around the world, but the most exclusive and well-known of them all is at the Crillon in Paris.

For more pix:
http://lebalhc.free.fr/en/introdeben.html

09-12-2005
backstage pass

The Parisian Debutante Balls may be exclusive (what ever passes for exclusivity these days) but it's not the most fabulous. That title goes to The Viennese Debutante Balls. The Vienna Opera and Vienna Imperial Ball are highlight of the Vienna social season as well as for Debutantes. This time of the year is when media from all over the world spotlights these visually stunning events. Unfortunately, they are sticklers for traditions so the Debs can only wear white couture gowns. It's still visually stunning...everyone waltzing. PBS always puts on a program around this time of the year about them. I hope to witness it one year in person. those who don't know what a Debutante is...do a search.

tour-v01-operaball2.jpg

Last edited by sandra; 09-12-2005 at 03:33 PM.
09-12-2005
fashion elite

President Bush's niece Ashley Bush was a debutante this year..if you look at the pict/list on the site listed in #23! How I wish I was a wealthy debutante!

09-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra
The Parisian Debutante Balls may be exclusive (what ever passes for exclusivity these days) but it's not the most fabulous. That title goes to The Viennese Debutante Balls. The Vienna Opera and Vienna Imperial Ball are highlight of the Vienna social season as well as for Debutantes. This time of the year is when media from all over the world spotlights these visually stunning events. Unfortunately, they are sticklers for traditions so the Debs can only wear white couture gowns. It's still visually stunning...everyone waltzing. PBS always puts on a program around this time of the year about them. I hope to witness it one year in person. those who don't know what a Debutante is...do a search.
www.societyballs.com

Just found that site and they have links to some pix of these Vienna balls you mentioned. I live and die for fashion so they don't seem as fun in that sense to me, but they are amazing to look at and I'm sure a very interesting event in which to take part.

09-12-2005
V.I.P.

I wish I was a deb...

09-12-2005
front row

who was the "best dressed" debutante in this year's ball?

13-12-2005
backstage pass

The Viennese Balls take place in Vienna, Austria. Everyone worldwide tries to attend these balls that take place from the end of Devember to early January. Only the Debs wear white but everyone else attending can wear color. But it's very strict..it's gotta be a glam ball gown. There are so many sites about this social season here's one.

http://www.vienneseball.org

28-12-2005
front row

any other pics from this ball?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bal, debutantes, des, le