How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-11-2012
trendsetter

Is it because English isn't her first language?

20-11-2012
backstage pass

Yeah it's definitely the english tripping her up. if you watch interviews with her speaking french she is much more articulate and comfortable with her words. It's prob really hard for her to keep the flow of conversation going when she's struggling to find the right words. Especially in a round table discussion with a bunch of native english speakers. But I think Marion's english is really good considering she is relatively new at it (I think?)

20-11-2012
V.I.P.

Actually, I love her interviews! I think it is definitely due to English being her second language, but that's part of what makes her so endearing to me? This interview (2008) is by far my favorite of hers. So sweet.

20-11-2012
fashion insider

I found her the most quiet of the bunch and laughed whenever the interviewer would say, Marion! What do you think? to pull her into the conversation, and while she stammered over her words some as a native French speaker, it was endearing. Weisz, too, stumbled over her words some.

21-11-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
Yeah it's definitely the english tripping her up. if you watch interviews with her speaking french she is much more articulate and comfortable with her words. It's prob really hard for her to keep the flow of conversation going when she's struggling to find the right words. Especially in a round table discussion with a bunch of native english speakers. But I think Marion's english is really good considering she is relatively new at it (I think?)
I disagree. She also lacks eloquence in her French interviews. Even in French, she has torubles finding the right words and she often -I know this is harsh- looks a bit dumb.

21-11-2012
backstage pass

i think she is beautiful...i will see any movie she is in! she can't be that dumb when she is such an incredible actress in her 2nd language. i'm sorry but her movie roles are always high brow. if she was dumb she'd be playing one dimensional characters....she certainly has not got where she is by being anything other than intelligent. can i remind you that there are millions of pretty women in the world that try to get into films/acting

Last edited by australian_girl; 21-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.

21-11-2012
scenester

Maybe we're getting a bit off topic here, but having good instincts for acting doesn't automatically translate into meaning someone is intelligent, just like being intelligent doesn't automatically translate into someone being a good actor. It's a very specific skillset.
In her case, I have no idea what she's like in person or what goes on in her mind, but yeah, interviews (in english or french) are definitely not her best spotlight, and those old comments about 9/11 and the moon landing were... odd, at best.

Anyway, speaking of interviews - here she is, looking lovely on Craig Ferguson:

Last edited by Scrantonicity; 21-11-2012 at 08:40 AM.

21-11-2012
V.I.P.

Hmm, I personally disagree that she is an incredible actress in her second language. I think she should stick to French films.

21-11-2012
V.I.P.

I thought she was better towards the end of the "Actress Round Table" but she definitely had some problems answering questions at first - couldn't stay focused on the question asked and couldn't seem to pin down what she wanted to say. But in her last two responses - the bad director experience, and who/what she'd like to play - she seemed much more confident and spoke more effectively. In fact her answer about wanting to play a monster was one of the best to that question, and her story about working with a bad director was interesting. Personally I find her to be a good actress, but one who was even transcendent in La Vie En Rose - she was simply stunning in that role! Fully deserving of her Oscar and all the other accolades.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

21-11-2012
fashion insider

That Craig Ferguson interview above is a little off in terms of comedic timing but if ANYONE can make a non-English native speaker feel comfortable and kill the awkward kinks, it's Craig Ferguson, as evidenced by him keeping on with her!

21-11-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by australian_girl View Post
i think she is beautiful...i will see any movie she is in! she can't be that dumb when she is such an incredible actress in her 2nd language. i'm sorry but her movie roles are always high brow. if she was dumb she'd be playing one dimensional characters....she certainly has not got where she is by being anything other than intelligent. can i remind you that there are millions of pretty women in the world that try to get into films/acting
Just answering very quickly and then stop being off topic.
1. I said she often looks dumb, I never said she actually is dumb ; i don't know her.
2. Like Scrantonicity said, you don't need to be clever to be a good actor. I guess you need to be instinctive, or know about human nature, or God knows what. But you don't need to be smart or educated to be a good actor.
3. She's far from being good in her English-speaking movies. She was terrible in Inception and The Dark Knight Rises, and despite the fact that she was radiant in Midnight in Paris, she was still terrible. She can also be terrible in French-speaking movies and then be astonishing in La Vie en Rose or Rust and Bones. Her entire carrier is full of hits and misses.
4. Those millions of pretty girls who want to get into acting might lack talent or luck (because everybody agrees to say that success largely relies on luck).

Last edited by Neepy; 21-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.

21-11-2012
scenester

She is wearing bouchra jarrar
style.com

21-11-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i dunno if i would describe her as dumb but maybe a little flighty. but maybe marion isn't the communicative type or that comfortable with interviews? many people aren't exactly talkers as you know but doesn't mean they aren't articulate and smart. to me she sounds like a typical shy person....as per NPJ's quote....many aren't so confident with certain discussions but can speak quite confidently with others not to mention her somewhat awkward demeanour.

btw,i thought she was very funny with craig last night and she looked great in that bouchra dress....i had no idea it was her only that it seemed familiar in its silhouette.

Last edited by Scott; 21-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.

27-11-2012
V.I.P.

Gotham Independent Film Awards

vogue.ru

27-11-2012
V.I.P.

Such a gorgeous face!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, august, cotillard, january, marion