How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2012
fashion icon

^That's a cute outfit. I like the shirt she's wearing. Also, Anet, I think we are the only one's who are writing on this thread! Shame, I wish everyone else understood how awesome Mindy is! I'm thinking that in a few months once her show, It's Messy, starts airing on Fox this thread will be more popular.

And here's a nice interview Mindy did recently.
Quote:
Sometime in between creating a pilot for Fox, writing her memoir Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), and working on The Office—which means writing, producing, acting in, and occasionally directing the NBC series—the perennially engaged Mindy Kaling found time to co-star in The Five-Year Engagement. In theaters this Friday, the romantic comedy stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt as longstanding nearlyweds whose love is tested by a move to the Midwest. As the relationship crumbles, Blunt bonds with Kaling's character, a reliably sarcastic grad program peer. In a recent phone chat with VF.com, Kaling told us about the new show, the cross-over possibilities with New Girl, and her affinity for Penélope Cruz, Natalie Portman, and a nice, three-course lunch.
Julie Miller: How are you today?

Mindy Kaling: I’m good, although I’m all dressed up with nowhere to go now. I wish you could see me.

Would you give us a visual, then?

You really want to know? I’m wearing a Dolce & Gabbana long-sleeved dress with a giant eggplant print and some Alexis Bittar sparkly jewelry. And a Brian Atwood pump. It’s a good outfit. You can understand why I’d want to see people while wearing this eggplant dress.

Before we talk about the movie, I want to know about your recent jury duty. From what you described on Twitter, it seemed like you were kind of enjoying it.

It was so cinematic going in there, like eight different movies converging at once. The jury pool was like a romantic-comedy situation where you are sitting with a bunch of strangers for nine hours and you think that you could meet the love of your life here. Of course that didn’t happen, though. And then I got called onto an actual trial, and that was very much like being in a John Grisham novel. It was extremely serious. The judge looked like he was from central casting. He was like 86-years-old, really serious, and invoked the Constitution and Thomas Jefferson. It was like eight really great movies with none of the glamour.

Did you make any friends?

No, it was a situation where I avoided eye contact the whole time.

From the courtroom to college then: in The Five-Year Engagement, you play a grad student. Did you ever consider grad school yourself?

My parents would have loved that, but I never considered it. Although when Nick [Stoller, who co-wrote and directed the film] told me that the character is a grad student, I did immediately think that that was in my wheelhouse. If anyone could look like a quintessential grad student it would be me, Indian American, comedy writer, me.

Rhys Ifans plays this very intelligent but almost predatory professor type who preys on Emily Blunt’s character. Do you remember any professors like that from your own college years?

I think that his character is very well observed. For someone like me, I never had the rakish European professor who was into me. I didn’t appeal to that type of guy. But I do remember those professors at my college [Dartmouth]. Rhys is such a great, funny actor, I think. That’s a very specific kind of comedy too so I thought that he was fantastic.

Most of your scenes are with Rhys and Emily. How were they on set?

Emily has the bearing of a classy, warm best friend who is a little too popular to spend as much time with you as you want. She is just so cool and doing her awesome thing. Rhys, I kept forgetting that he was an actor. He has the bearing of a famous musician. He’s handsome but skinny and English. He totally rocks that English-rock-star thing.

You’re very busy outside of film. What made you want to take time away from your writing, acting, and producing projects to work on this?

I love Nick Stoller, who directed this. I think that he is fantastic. Emily is just so cool. It’s pretty rare that you get to do a movie with someone that you think you could be friends with in real life, like Emily Blunt, or Natalie Portman in No Strings Attached. When I have the opportunity to be cast as their friends, I’m psyched because that is a situation in real life that I would love as well. I didn’t know Jason super well, but I’ve always loved his movies, so it seemed so easy. It’s not like we’re wearing prosthetic makeup or anything like that.

Your character helps to create a psychology experiment intended to shed light on someone’s personality based on whether or not they eat a stale donut. Are you personally averse to stale pastries, and do you have any food-personality correlation theories?

I’m a comedy writer, so eating stale food is not something that fazed me. I do that on a regular basis. I don’t have any food theories, but I am just like the least-picky eater alive. I feel weird even being in Los Angeles, because it’s like everyone takes 15 minutes ordering their dinner and I know immediately what I want. Actually, I went out with Vanity Fair for [John Heilpern’s] “Out to Lunch” feature, and the writer spent a lot of time in the article describing how much I ate and how it was not very dainty. [Laughs.]

How did you feel when you read that?

I felt like if you hadn’t seen a photo of me beforehand, you would have thought that I was Jabba the Hutt. I think he was amazed with how much I ate, but I just ordered a meal. I ordered a meal and I ordered dessert because I was being treated.

It’s almost impolite otherwise.

I think he thought that was surprising. I feel like if someone’s going to take you out to lunch and they’re going to pay for it, I feel like it behooves you to have three courses. So.

I was excited to hear about your Fox pilot, especially after reading the press release that said you would be playing a doctor with a “Bridget Jones”–like quality. Is that what you envisioned when you created her?

I was in Boston when they needed [the description for the press release], so they came up with that on the spot. Thank you for saying that. I was a little bit worried, because when you describe a show, [the description] is always so much lamer than the actual show. But I am so happy about [the show]. I just saw one of the first cuts. The cast [which also includes Bill Hader, Ed Helms, and Anna Camp] is so good and so funny. Chris Messina is really funny in it. It’s just a really good cast.

How long have you had this sitcom idea in your mind?

The character that I play is probably someone that I’ve thought about playing for a couple years, but I wrote it in the fall pretty much. Not that long. But it’s fun and my character is so different than my character on The Office. She has a lot of big flaws, which is so much fun to play.

How is she different from Kelly Kapoor on The Office?
She is pretty well educated. She is a smart character but also a little selfish and very impatient in a way that is funny for a caregiver. It’s a funny dynamic to play someone who takes care of people but who is also extremely impatient. Kelly can be openly vicious and clique-y and kind of like a mean teenage girl. This character isn’t really mean. She just has different flaws.

How is the sitcom set up? Do most of the scenes take place in your character’s home or her office? Is there a neighborhood coffee shop?

There are some in my apartment. Some in the hospital. Right now, it’s kind of an office comedy, but my character dates a lot. There’s a wedding. She goes on a date with Ed Helms’s character, which was really fun. I could see the show transitioning into more of a 50/50 scenario.

One of our favorite shows on Fox right now is New Girl. I know that you’re still in the pilot stage of your sitcom, but have you envisioned a cross-over episode?

I love New Girl and I think that Schmidt is one of the great new TV characters. So Max Greenfield [who plays Schmidt] could do anything he wanted when he wanted on my show, and I would feel so lucky . . . if my show [was picked up as a series]. That would be so great.

You also just wrote a really funny memoir [Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)]. What aspect of writing, or promoting, a book was most surprising to you?

The book came so naturally. I guess it was interesting writing something that wasn’t dialogue, because that’s what I’m so used to doing. So I was surprised that writing prose was as fun as writing dialogue. That scared me at the beginning.

You’re an outspoken fan of romantic comedies. Which romantic-comedy character do you relate to most?

I love Penélope Cruz’s character in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. I think that that passionate, artsy hothead—I mean, I don’t necessarily relate to her effortless beauty or insane gorgeousness, necessarily—but I do relate to that temperament. She’s over-dramatic and so impetuous. I thought that she was so funny in that movie. I loved that character so much and related to her.
VanityFair.com

02-06-2012
V.I.P.

haha it is just me and you YoninahAliza for now
Celebs Film "The End Of The World"

zimbio

02-06-2012
V.I.P.

Fox 2012 Programming Presentation Post-Show Party

zimbio.com

02-06-2012
fashion icon

Yeah, it looks like it, Anet! I really love the outfit she's wearing in "The End of the World" it's so cute. And I really like the look she wore to the Fox programming presentation, it's very flattering on her. Plus that white jacket looks so cozy and awesome.

V.I.P.

zimbio.com

25-08-2012
V.I.P.

"The Mindy Project"

collegecandy. com

26-08-2012
V.I.P.

Just Jared

17-09-2012
V.I.P.

zimbio.com

17-09-2012
fashion icon

Ohh...I like Mindy's outfit here. But then again, I'm always a sucker for stripes, so I'm bound to like it! And do you what talk show is she going to in those pictures?

V.I.P.

Reese Witherspoon: Lunch with Mindy Kaling!

just jared

02-12-2012
V.I.P.

more

zimbio.com

02-12-2012
V.I.P.

The First Annual Baby2Baby Gala from November 3, 2012

zimbio.com

02-12-2012
fashion elite

I looooooooooove Mindy. Thanks for creating and contributing to the thread. She's been wearing some really cute clothes on The Mindy Project lately.

Ladies, I really recommend the show. The first episode was a little off for me, but after a few episodes I am a very confirmed fan.

02-12-2012
fashion icon

^I completely agree with you about the show. The first episode was okay but the rest have been fantastic. Often I find with tv shows that the first few are a bit shaky but then they find their footing and it ends up alright. One of my favorite lines was, "Okay, if we are indulging imaginary situations I would love to introduce you to my husband. Straight Anderson Cooper." It made me laugh so much. And I like how her character seems so relatable, she sort of say's the things a lot of us are thinking but might not actually say out loud.

I love what Mindy wore to lunch with Reese, the peter pan collar/sweater is so cute! And that color maroon looks great on her.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 02-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.
02-12-2012
.my prison is your brain.

I agree, the show seems to be finding it's comic rhythm more and more, hope it sticks around for awhile. The only thing I think they need to work on is character development -- the girl secretaries suck, as does the short guy doctor.

I'm not really a fan of Peter Pan collars, but that outfit does look great.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kaling, mindy