How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-06-2014
V.I.P.

Another stunning look!
She is at the top of her game in Shanghai

16-06-2014
V.I.P.

Most of these last few looks have been so forgettable to me. She's going for the classical Hollywood aesthetic, but I don't think it suits her. It never did. She always looks best in more, say, avant garde looks.

That being said, I do quite like the last dress, but the shoes are wrong.

The Prada dress would've looked better in a darker colour.

16-06-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
She always looks best in more, say, avant garde looks.
Fully agree! And I love her in black, just generally speaking.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
03-07-2014
V.I.P.

Nicole Kidman heads home after hitting the gym on Thursday morning (July 3) in Los Angeles.

just jared

V.I.P.

Nicole Kidman spotted on 'The Family Fang' set.

Nicole Kidman wears a dark brown wig as she heads to the set of her new movie 'The Family Fang' on August 4, 2014 in West Hollywood, California.

zimbio

V.I.P.

^She looks so much like her sister

05-08-2014
V.I.P.

THAT. TOP. LIP.

ugh.

V.I.P.

She looks really fresh with that darker wig.

13-08-2014
V.I.P.

I love those boots on her. I know them but can't remember who they are by.

She does looks nice with the brown hair. I will always want the red back though.

14-08-2014
Mr. Zhivago

Marie Claire interview

Quote:
1. What is on your kitchen counter? We always have a bowl of apples. And, I think, newspapers and coloring books.

2. What is the best gift you've ever received? My husband [Keith Urban] gave me an Aston Martin.

3. What is your fantasy itinerary? I've never been to Africa, so I'd love to go on safari.

4. What can you not miss on TV?
Nashville—a lot of my friends are in that. But it was devastating when Breaking Bad finished. And I still watch Homeland and American Idol.

5. What is the best advice you've ever been given? Stanley Kubrick said, "If anyone throws out an idea, wait 20 seconds before you say either yes or no, because you have to let an idea digest."

6. What movie do you think has the greatest ending? Gone with the Wind.

7. What is on your perennial to-do list? Becoming fluent in Italian. I speak a little, but I'm not fluent yet.

8. What is on your bookshelf? At the moment, I'm reading The Son [by Philipp Meyer]. It's set in Texas, and it covers a whole number of generations. It's violent but extraordinary.

9. What is on your feet right now? These are Nicholas Kirkwood [peep-toe platform pumps with cutouts]. But I wear Jimmy Choos as well.

10. What is your go-to karaoke song?
"Your Song" by Elton John. Ewan McGregor sang it in Moulin Rouge, and I still love to sing it.

11. What is your beauty secret? For my hair, it's Swisse Ultiboost Hair Skin Nails supplements. My hair had gotten so thin and I was done putting in the [fake] pieces, so I cut it off and started taking those religiously—it's much thicker now.

12. What should every woman try at least once in her life? I have my skydiving license, so I would say jumping out of a plane.

13. Do you have a secret talent? I can do a really good cat vomit. [Mimics the sound of a cat coughing up a fur ball]

14. What makes you laugh? Keith.

15. What makes you mad? Injustice.

16. What charities do you support? UN Women, which works to eradicate violence against women. My husband and I do fundraising for Stanford Women's Cancer Center. And as the Swisse global ambassador, I helped raise money for Monash Children's Hospital in Australia.

17. What splurge is well worth it? Holidays. Whenever we take holidays, I never go, "Gosh, I wish we hadn't done that."

18. Do you have any pet peeves? I don't like bad breath—that's my one thing. I'll tell someone, "You need a mint."

19. How did you make your first dollar? As an usherette at Sesame Street Live, at the Capitol Theatre in Sydney. I was only 14, but I was paid an adult wage of about $400 a week, which was phenomenal.

20. What is one thing you wish you'd known when you were younger? That it all works out—that what's devastating today will all be OK.
MarieClaire.com
She says she's never been to Africa, even though she filmed "Queen of the Desert" in Morocco (and likely some other African countries) last year

14-08-2014
backstage pass

^ I was going to say, surely she has been to Africa at some point for filming!

Maybe she meant she has never travelled on holiday?

15-08-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman keeps herself warm while shooting scenes with her co-star Jason Bateman on the set of their upcoming film The Family Fang on Thursday (August 14) in Upstate N.Y.

just jared

V.I.P.

Quote:
Interview Magazine: September 2014.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman shows off her very toned legs while taking a break from shooting her upcoming movie The Family Fang on Tuesday (August 19) in Sparkill, N.Y.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman gets a visit from her hubby Keith Urban on the set of her newest film The Family Fang on Tuesday (August 12) in New York City.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman rocks a casual v-neck tee while getting ready to film scenes in a car with her co-star Jason Bateman for their upcoming flick The Family Fang on Friday (August 8) in New Jersey, N.J.

Quote:
Nicole Kidman sports a navy blue pajamas while stepping out of her trailer on the set of The Family Fang on Tuesday (August 5) in New York City.

justjared, globalgrind

She looks so fresh with dark hair.

28-08-2014
fashion elite

The Edit by Net-A-Porter
August 28, 2014

The Pursuit of Happiness
Model Nicole Kidman
Photographer Steven Pan
Styling Simon Robins

Quote:
Defying the parameters of celebrity, Oscar-winning actress NICOLE KIDMAN swapped life in Hollywood for family in Nashville. She tells JENNIFER DICKINSON her surprising secret to contentment.

Nicole Kidman knows it, the elusive secret to happiness. She exists in a pocket of positivity these days, a 5ft 11in radiator of warmth and contentment. Entirely fresh faced, haloed in beautifully wayward curls, impish grin hovering, there is something almost childlike about the 47-year-old that seems quite at odds with the polished, even cool Hollywood Actress persona that has identified her since her Dead Calm debut in 1989. But then, Hollywood Actresses don’t usually suggest meeting at a Formica-table-topped diner (Noshville, a family favorite in Kidman’s hometown, Nashville, Tennessee), so we are clearly not dealing with the ordinary.

But in fact, Kidman is the most ordinary extraordinary person I have ever met. She is immediately, entirely, un-intimidating. She’s apologetic about her outfit (“I got really dressed up for you today, Birkenstocks and faded jeans!”) and about being a few minutes late – she was with her husband and they lost track of time. That husband is the reason the actress has lived in Nashville for eight years, and the catalyst behind her near-constant smile. In fellow Australian Keith Urban, the father of her two youngest children, daughters Sunday Rose, six, and Faith Margaret, three (the actress also has two adopted children, Isabella, 21, and Connor, 19), Kidman has clearly found the kind of partner it is easy to lose track of time with. “We watch America’s Funniest Home Videos and reruns of The Brady Bunch, that’s very much our life,” she enthuses.

Of course, all this enviable domestic bliss is the flipside to an extraordinary existence, because Urban is also a multi-platinum-selling country star and Kidman is one of the most accomplished actresses of her generation.

Her destiny was set, she says, as a child. “I loved getting lost in characters and a lot of that was to do with not being comfortable with who I was, so [I created] a fantasy life,” she says. “I had intense feelings as a child; I used to cry when my mother would go and play bridge. I’d be crying in bed, waiting for her to come home. My depth of emotion was powerful.”

That ability to channel deep emotion has led Kidman to roles that challenge both her and her audience, some extremely successfully – her performance as writer Virginia Woolf in The Hours won her the Best Actress Oscar in 2003 – and some with more mixed results (2004’s Birth caused controversy over the scene of Kidman naked in a bath with her 10-year-old co-star; this year’s Grace of Monaco received critical reviews). “When [reactions are] amazing I’m up front and center; when they’re bad I’m up front and center,” shrugs the actress. “I like to push it, test how far I can go with things. Not for the sake of just being provocative, but for the sake of not conforming and saying, ‘There’s not necessarily a right and a wrong here, there’s a gray.’ Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but I say to myself, ‘Okay, just keep trying stuff.’”

Kidman’s approach to her craft (and with her, it certainly is a craft) is old school. She has learnt to castrate bulls (for Australia); throw knives (for the forthcoming Paddington); and write with her right hand, despite being left- handed (to play Virginia Woolf). She has always done her own nude scenes (on stage, every night, in The Blue Room); played the piano in Cold Mountain; sang in Moulin Rouge; and moved in with Jack Black and Jennifer Jason Leigh before filming Margot at the Wedding so they could accurately portray the intimacy of a family.

“The way in which actors are defined is so different now,” says Kidman. “So much of it is by their clothes and how they look and all of the celebrity that surrounds that, whereas it used to be you went to drama school and you were trained as an actor. The whole point of being an actor is that you create characters to look totally different – to speak differently, behave differently, walk differently. And I suppose that’s what I still fight for. Every single part of me has to change to embody a character; sometimes it’s successful, sometimes it’s not. But that’s what interests me. I’m not enamored enough with myself to keep playing a version of me.”

These days, Kidman prioritizes time with her family. She spends 80 percent of her time in Nashville, she says, and travels to set with Urban and the girls. “Ultimately I ask Keith, ‘Is this a possibility to do?’” she says of prospective projects. “It may sound old-fashioned, but I want the family to work. And I feel pain when I’m away; I literally feel a yearning and a pain. When I was younger, it was different. I’d be like, ‘Yeah I’ll go, I’ll go here, I’ll go there.’ I’m on the cusp of Gemini and Cancer and my husband says to me, ‘You’ve become more Cancer – you’re all about the family now.’”

She is realistic about not trying to have it all; perfectly happy to compromise, because her ‘prize’ eclipses any potential success work could bring. “For actresses, if you’re in a relationship, there’s an enormous amount of give and take, particularly when you get pregnant,” she says. “They say your art gets affected when you have a family, but I'd much rather have a family. Having experienced the greatest awards and accolades, the idea of being alone with that doesn’t work for me. It may for somebody else, but it’s not for me.”

The family does relocate though, enabling Kidman to take up projects such as September’s Before I Go to Sleep, a thriller about a woman with a traumatic past suffering from amnesia, which she filmed in London opposite Colin Firth. “He’s funny. He’s got that wonderful dry English wit – us Australians love the dry English wit,” she says. “Even when we were doing something like [Before I Go to Sleep], Colin made me laugh.”

Hollywood feels far from Nashville and the laid-back life Kidman and Urban enjoy here. It was an easy decision to move, says the actress, who was convinced in one trip. “[Keith] brought me here, and you know how you can be as a woman, you go from A to Z in your head. You’re on a date with a guy and already in your head you’re married to them with a child. If they knew that, they’d run a mile. But you’re sitting there talking and before you know it, you’re like, ‘Yes, this works, I could marry him.’

Eight years since their wedding (when the congregation were treated to a reading by director Baz Luhrmann and songs from Urban and Hugh Jackman), the couple still come across like lovestruck teens. “Keith always says, ‘We’re lucky we met late in life. The sadness of that is we can’t have six kids together, but the greatness of that is [we are done] with all the other stuff, so now we are totally present for this.’ That’s a great thing to hear from a man,” says Kidman.

At his concert on their wedding anniversary in Australia earlier this year, Urban dedicated a song to his wife with the words, ‘Eight years, baby girl. This song is for you. I love you so much.’ Even her friends, she says, were jealous of that one. “I had two girlfriends sitting with me and they were like, ‘Bitch!’” Kidman laughs. “I went, ‘Hey! I’ve been to hell and back!’”

Hell was her 2001 divorce from actor Tom Cruise after 11 years of marriage and the loneliness she felt in its wake. She’s philosophical, though, about dealing with the pain. “Now I have the ability to go, ‘Okay, this too shall pass.’ Sometimes you’ve just got to navigate through pain and depression. Maybe you have a down day, but life is contrast. I’d rather feel it and know it.”

Those downs are a long way away today, in the climatic and social warmth of Nashville. The glow of Kidman’s contentment is like warming your toes by a campfire, leaving you feeling inexplicably lighter. She laughs at the idea of her happiness being so compelling. “My girlfriend Naomi [Watts] said to me, ‘You’re always so positive.’ I said, ‘Am I? I don’t mean to be!’ She said, ‘No, no, it’s a good thing.’ I don’t know if it’s being happy per se, but I’m always able to flick it and go, ‘Things are pretty good.’”

Will she reveal it then, that surefire route to contentment? “Snuggling,” she smiles. “Snuggling is the secret to happiness.” See, ordinary yet extraordinary. Long may the snuggling continue.
Before I Go to Sleep is out Sept 5 (UK); October 31 (US)
net-a-porter

28-08-2014
V.I.P.

^I like the cover but my favorite is the third picture. Nice work.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kidman, nicole