How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-04-2012
V.I.P.

^Interview

Quote:
Lynn Hirschberg: In Hemingway & Gellhorn, you play Martha Gellhorn, the war correspondent. The film chronicles her relationship with Ernest Hemingway, which was often its own particular battlefield. What attracted you to this project?
Nicole Kidman: I knew nothing about Martha, but Iíve always been drawn to unique women who are willing to take on the world. The exciting thing about this film is that you see her discovering her nature. At the beginning, sheís a lot of talk. She knows that sheís either got to get her hands dirty and become what she pretends to be or sheís a fraud. In the end, Gellhorn out-Hemingways Hemingway.

Clive Owen said that Hemingway is not popular in England. Was he known in Australia, where you grew up?
Well, not to contradict a man [laughs], but Hemingway is big *everywhere. Was I aware of him in the same way I studied Henry James? Or the BrontŽ sisters? No. But that was probably because he didnít interest me as much.

What was the first movie you remember seeing?
The Wizard of Oz. The Wicked Witch of the West had the biggest impact on me. When the striped stockings disappeared under the house, I wanted to become an actor.

You didnít long to play Dorothy?
NoóI was always interested in the character roles. I thought the witch was much more fascinating than Dorothy.

You started acting when you were very young. What was your first part?
I auditioned for the role of an angel in the Nativity play at school. I didnít get it. I auditioned for Mary; didnít get it. So I made up the character of the sheep who sat next to Baby Jesus. I wore a little calico sort of head thing that my mom made. I bleated through the whole thing and got my first laugh. And that was it: I was hooked.

Did your mother support your career?
She always believed in me, but sheís tough on me too. Sheís lived a life where she made a lot of compromises. She would have loved to be a doctor, but she didnít come from the generation of women where she could go and be a doctor. She became a nurse instead. Not that thereís anything wrong with being a nurse, but she wanted to be a doctor. Until I won the Academy Award [for The Hours], I was kind of pursuing things to please her. Iíve really tried to sever that.

Does she like most of your movies?
She likes The Hours. And Moulin Rouge. She didnít like Fur, but she said sheís going to rewatch it.

Fur was inspired by the work and life of the photographer Diane Arbus. In the movie, Robert Downey Jr. plays a man completely covered in hair.
My character shaves him. I am the only person who has ever gotten to shave Robert Downey Jr. naked. Nobody else can say thatónot even his wife!

You and Downey had a sweet sex scene. You are one of the few actresses who seem comfortable with nudity.
I donít mind being naked. Maybe as I get older, and now after having had a baby, it might be different, but I enjoy not letting my issues get in the way of a performance. Once I start putting all my little insecurities in my mind, Iím not actually acting. Then itís about meóand it should never be about me. It should be about the character.

In the beginning of Hemingway & Gellhorn, your character says, ďI was probably the worst bed partner on five continents.Ē And yet, in the rest of the film, she and Hemingway have immense sexual heat: They are constantly going at it.
The sex was very important in that relationship because thatís the way she cuts Hemingway off. When Gellhorn says, ďI donít like sex,Ē itís her way of saying, ďIím not based in sexuality; Hemingway didnít have power over me. Thatís not where I came from.Ē

Having said that, the sexual attraction between them was powerful. I kept asking Phil Kaufman, the director, ďIs all this sex *important for the story?Ē I wanted to make sure he wasnít just getting off. But these were two people who could make love when a building was falling down around them. They had passion.

Gellhorn was also very strong-willed. As an actress, do you need to have that kind of toughness in your life?
My husband [country singer Keith Urban] says Iím raw. He thinks the world is not a great place for me because he fears that Iíll be hurt. He says, ďThatís my job: Iíll protect you.Ē

Your husband just had throat surgery to repair damaged vocal cords. He couldnít speak for three weeks. What was that like?
Three weeks of no soundóno laughing, no coughing, no sneezing, nothing. He could write things down, and he would scribble away. You can still fight when someone canít talk. When he disagreed with me, he would write, ďThis is unacceptable.Ē [Laughs.]

Was it strange to not talk?
All of those things make you closer. It was sort of profound: to go without his voice, and then to finally hear his voice. What if he sounded different? I was there for his first words, and then we cried. How many people experience their husbandís first words? If that doesnít bring you closer, youíre not breathing.
wmagazine.com

22-04-2012
V.I.P.

daily mail
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/arti5035.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/arti5036.jpg[/img]

22-04-2012
V.I.P.

love that jacket

22-04-2012
V.I.P.

Looks like a Rick Owens jacket - love it too. And that might be an Owen's "D RK SH D W" skirt too; it looks familiar. Maybe this one? But would need to see more of it to know.

lagarconne

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged

22-04-2012
V.I.P.

Really like the look, but what a dreadful hair!

23-04-2012
V.I.P.

daily mail
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/arti5076.jpg[/img]

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

just jared
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/efron-10.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/efron-12.jpg[/img]

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

^ Man, she is still as hot as she was in To Die For- 17 years ago!!

24-04-2012
backstage pass

Wow! Such a different character for her! Can't wait to see it. I'm sure she'll be great as always... maybe even more!

24-04-2012
fashion insider

She really looks like she's going to be the highlight of The Paperboy.

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
^ Man, she is still as hot as she was in To Die For- 17 years ago!!
I thought immediately of that film too; there are obvious similarities in the looks, although the woman she played in To Die For pretended to be prim, while this one doesn't look like she has ANY pretence in her.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

Nicole does white trash well. This movie should be interesting. Can't wait.

PS Loving the Rick Owens.

27-04-2012
fashion insider

Is that Jeremy Irvine and Stellan Skarsgard with Nicole and Colin? I'm excited at the thought of Colin and Nicole in a film together.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2012, february, kidman, nicole, october