Olivia Palermo (September 2011 - February 2012) - Page 8 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-10-2011
front row

oh dear! for a professional blog- yikes!
some of the pictures aren't even focused and for a blog that's named after you it's completely cold and impersonal

08-10-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petita View Post
oh dear! for a professional blog- yikes!
some of the pictures aren't even focused and for a blog that's named after you it's completely cold and impersonal
You took the words right of my mouth. A long wait for such an underwhelming result

08-10-2011
tfs star

I can't stand the writing. I tried reading a few posts, but it's just awful. It's like a high schooler's attempt at semantics and grammar for an english 102 class or a college application essay. Attempt at pretension but a miserable failure.

08-10-2011
kabhi alvida

"Leather shorts are a study in contradiction, combining the luxury of rich leathers and the casual silhouette of shorts. Their duality makes them a formidable fashion trend to conquer – but also gives leather shorts their versatility and contemporary cool. Here are some tips to help you master this tricky trend..."

OH. MY. GOD. It's like someone said to her, "just write everything you think, and then use this thesaurus so you can put in some heavy words, and then write it again." >>>

08-10-2011
V.I.P.

I still can't get over how much she resembles Sarah Michelle Gellar. Both are pretty girls with a keen sense of style.

Who was the guy on Olivia's arm at the Dior show?

08-10-2011
fashion elite

^ I think is her cousin: James Nevan Donahue; but im not sure...

08-10-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess View Post
"Leather shorts are a study in contradiction, combining the luxury of rich leathers and the casual silhouette of shorts. Their duality makes them a formidable fashion trend to conquer – but also gives leather shorts their versatility and contemporary cool. Here are some tips to help you master this tricky trend..."

OH. MY. GOD. It's like someone said to her, "just write everything you think, and then use this thesaurus so you can put in some heavy words, and then write it again." >>>

You're absolutely right. reminds of that episode of Friends where Joey had to write the recommendation letter for Monica and Chandler

I agree with everyone, it's horribly executed, very impersonal and just a little patronising, not on a GOOP level but on it's way. They really need to revise where this is going.

08-10-2011
V.I.P.

I totally agree that her blog is lacking... I guess I expected so much more from Olivia because she has had such great exposure to fashion especially... high fashion. I read the first two entries and yeah... totally generic...

Quote:
especially compared to Conrad and Zoe who clearly have huge teams working for them in all their business endeavours.

Zoe has a huge team working with her... I don't think that it the case with Conrad at all. Her personal blog I feel is all her... the topics she covers on that blog were things she was already tweeting about before and she doesn't give anyone else credit for the writing, So I have no choice but to assume that she is doing the creative work and uses a company for the technical aspect...

Her second blog, thebeautydepartment, which is one of the more innovative blog out there, is a collaboration between her, her hairdresser and makeup artist. Everyone blogs about their particular field... and Lauren tends to stay in her realm mainly nails and skin topics.

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill

08-10-2011
V.I.P.

and she doesn't give anyone else credit for the writing

Well that's one good thing going for Olivia's blog at least - she mentions her staff in the opening letter and it's visibly clear what articles are theirs alone.

Anyway, I don't want this to get into an argument but Conrad has built quite a mini empire over the years and that she has a team working for and with her I will continue to believe. Moving on, the blog is pretty rubbish but it's early days. The only features I'll be interested in anyway is her personal style one so it'll be good for that if nothing else

08-10-2011
fashion icon

Lauren Conrad writes most of her own blogs on her personal website. The one's she doesn't write are tagged as sponsored or guest posts. Most of her topics are so personal I can't imagine anyone but her writing about them (i.e. her dinner, her favorites, BTS of her fashion line...etc). Unlike Olivia, she established herself as someone who was into writing prior to launching her website so it's not difficult to believe she writes for herself. She did a great job guest-blogging for Forbes.com over the summer relaying personal experiences about all of her endeavors. Both Allure and Lucky magazine let her guest edit their facebook pages earlier in the year. Her writing style is very consistent-- always personable and well-spoken. Even her tweets have proper grammar. I'm surprised people still doubt her at this point. She is quite intelligent.

Olivia's site is just like I thought it would be -- dry, impersonal and pretentious. As soon as she said she had 15 Harvard writers I knew the site would be boring. Just because someone is from Harvard does not mean they have a great perspective on fashion. Who wants to read what some random unknown person thinks about leather shorts let alone take fashion advice from them? I'm curious to see how long this site will last when Olivia realizes the work it takes to keep people engaged.

Last edited by loladonna; 08-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.

08-10-2011
V.I.P.

Sorry, I don't follow Lauren Conrad's career and general goings on - nor Olivia, for that matter, aside from what's on this thread - so I don't know the ins and outs of her career but regardless, I'll remain cynical - unless people know these celebrities in person to know for sure that they work alone or to sit next to them when these blog posts (or books) get published to know for sure they don't receive help, I'll continuing believing what I do - and doubting.

Last edited by Lacroix; 08-10-2011 at 07:08 PM.

08-10-2011
front row

I'm not even going to touch on the writing since everyone here has pretty much said it all but I'm underwhelmed by the whole look of the site. She's had a team of people working on it and it looks like that?

09-10-2011
front row

k
Holy sweet moses. The writing of her 'Welcome' post was absolutely horrendous. She comes off as somebody who desperately wants to seem erudite but is tragically misguided; not only is the style off, but her grammar and punctuation are really truly terrible.

Anyway, I hope it improves because I feel like if she really delivers a great product (fabulous pictures, great articles, 'how to', secret finds, etc.). Any criticism for pretension and arrogance will fall away if she actually proves that she can provide a really fantastic blog. At this point, Olivia just has come across to me as being a bit of a fraud. If she wants to make a blog and make a legitimate attempt to create something new and informative.

09-10-2011
V.I.P.

It's horrible. All this time looking forward it and now it's a big BLAH.

09-10-2011
fashion elite

Socialite Olivia Palermo is spotted out and about with her mother Lynn Hutchings in NYC - October 8 2011
She is wearing Mulberry Polly Push Lock Tote

zimbio.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2012, february, olivia, palermo, september