How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2011
trendsetter

Richard Armitage
Best known for TV dramas Spooks, Strikeback, Robin Hood, North & South. Can currently be seen in Captain America and will be playing Thorin in the two Hobbit movies. I guarantee we will be seeing a lot more of him!

projectmagazine

Last edited by littlepaperstars; 02-08-2011 at 08:22 AM.

02-08-2011
trendsetter

Some stills & red carpet pics from Captain America.

comingsoon.net/aceshowbiz

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

I love him, but have you seen the pics of him in the Hobbit? They made him look ugly with all the makeup and prosthetics

trendsetter

Yes, they have gone all out with the prosthetics, but I think he'll be wonderful! Few Hobbity vids.

Rise up Christchurch telethon.

Hobbit Diary 1

Hobbit Diary 3 (he wasn't really in 2!)

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

@Jenna16: I agree. He's unrecognizable in The Hobbit. I was hoping he would have an Aragorn-type role.

I've been in love with him since I saw North & South! He's a beautiful man.
Thanks for starting a Thread!!

thirtysecondstomars.forumsunlimited

Last edited by sobriquet87; 02-08-2011 at 03:43 PM.
02-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post

I've been in love with him since I saw North & South! He's a beautiful man.
Same with me I love him as Mr. Thornton.

He also completely steals the spotlight in Robin Hood. Robin Hood and his buddies are such a bore in this version. I just want to see Guy!

Last edited by Jenna16; 02-08-2011 at 03:54 PM.
02-08-2011
trendsetter

Well he is playing a dwarf in the Hobbit, he was never going to look like Viggo. Aidan was the only one who got off lightly. Lets be honest it's not a very 'sexy' film, it's very testosterone and creature heavy.

16-08-2011
don't look down

Interview from The Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk):

Quote:
Richard Armitage: 'I’m a bit mean. I haven’t got a nice-guy face’

Richard Armitage talks to Jasper Rees about his penchant for playing tough nuts, including his latest role as a Nazi in the superhero movie 'Captain America’ .

22 Jul 2011

Is there a harder hard man? A more dastardly villain? He incarnates SAS author Chris Ryan in the Sky series Strike Back, was Robin Hood’s scowling nemesis Guy of Gisborne, and infamously revealed himself as a ruthless killer - not nice Lucas North but nasty John Bateman - in the most recent series of the BBC’s Spooks. And now he’s playing a cold-hearted Nazi infiltrator in the much anticipated whizzbangy film version of Captain America.

In person, of course, Richard Armitage turns out to be the softest pussycat. Not to look at, of course. He’s six foot something and mostly consists of granite and stubble. But the voice is on the quiet side, and he radiates an air of proper humility. So why is he never Mr Nice on screen?

“I suppose I’m a bit mean. My face on camera doesn’t lend itself to happy nice guys. I think it’s just that my bone structure looks menacing. I don’t smile that often.”

He duly smiles, enchantingly, at the absurdity of the gap between image and reality. “Somebody asked me after I’d done all that training for Strike Back, 'Could you go out and work with the SAS?’ I thought, what a ridiculous question. It’s about replicating a look.”

He even thinks he may qualify as a wimp. In Captain America: The First Avenger, the latest cinematic take on a Marvel Comics superhero, Armitage is once more rotten to the core. He plays Heinz Kruger, a Teutonic assassin who at one point is involved in a super-macho underwater tussle. Only one problem.

“I am just not a water baby. I can swim but I just don’t. Everyone else is jumping in and I’ll go, ’You know what? I’ll just stand on the side.’

“I did four weeks of scuba training for the sequence and made myself do fifty lengths every day. Then we were at the bottom of a tank and there was ten metres above you.” All 15 or 16 stone of him shudders at the memory of the moment the divers confiscated his goggles and breathing line. “They had put a microphone in the water so you could hear them say, 'Just waiting for the bubbles to clear.’ I’m at the bottom of the tank thinking, I’ve taken a deep breath but I haven’t got enough air. When they asked me to do it again I was sitting in the dressing room crying, 'I can’t!’”

In another scene they put him in an empty box within a container filled with water. “They wanted to smash a window and the water rush in quickly. They’d put all the safety things in place but you can’t fool the brain: you have a fight-or-flight mechanism that you can’t control. I smashed the roof off.”

Armitage’s modest portrait of himself as the reluctant stuntman is slightly tarnished when he reveals that, to prepare for a scene in Spooks, he became perhaps the first person in the history of torture to volunteer for waterboarding. “They put a wet cloth over your nostrils and your mouth, hold it tight and pour water into it. It’s like suffocating underwater. I think I managed five seconds. I got the glimmer of something I could replicate: total terror, a certain sound, and the spasm the body does when you feel it.”

The young Armitage, growing up eager to act, ran off to the circus in Budapest at the age of 19 to get his Equity card. It’s a less than romantic memory. “The best grounding it gave me was that I couldn’t stoop any lower than sleeping next to an elephant and throwing a hula-hoop to a skateboarder. It was pretty grim. Two Russian guys taught me to do a back flip with two towels.” Could he do one now, aged 39? “No way.”

After drama school he guessed his future was in theatre. Spear-carrying at the RSC cured him of that assumption. He understudied in one hatchet-faced tragedy that went on tour. “We limped around and I saw audiences being tortured by our production. That put me off. I’m not much of a show-off. I don’t really go after that kind of applause.”

Screen acting didn’t go much better until one day he went into an audition for the BBC drama Sparkhouse in character as a grouchy Northern farmer. “It came out of real frustration of not getting anything. Normally I’d go in with my hair all brushed and polished. It was the first time I’ve played a character over four episodes with an arc.”

His gruff mill-owner in Mrs Gaskell’s North and South followed, as did his betrothal to Dawn French in The Vicar of Dibley. He’s even played Monet in a drama doc.

But there’s no getting round his physique. He got Strike Back, he says, because “somebody must have turned it down. I thought, this is your bog-standard boys-with-toys story. The challenge was to find the human interest inside a war machine story.”

When Spooks came round, he’d not seen more than a few episodes of the first series. “They hadn’t written the part. They wanted to bring in a character who had quite a complicated back story so they could then feed off that.” Even Armitage was surprised by the sudden stripping away of Lucas North’s carapace. “They kept it from me at the end that he did know there was a bomb in the bag. There’s me thinking that he’s done a good thing.”

One day he’d like to have a go at ultimate baddie Richard III. For the next two years Armitage will be flying back and forth to New Zealand to play a dwarf in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. Not a small dwarf, mind. “I’m carrying 20 kilos of costume and weights so I’m doing load of lower back and leg exercises.”

Is that a drag for an actor keen to stay in touch with his inner softie? “I want to be strong enough to cope with the roles, but I don’t want to be cast as the guy that takes his shirt off. I’m looking forward to getting fat and old so I don’t have to lift weights.”

V.I.P.

Thanks for posting the interview.

I saw Captain America and his role was way too short

The movie kept going on and on and got a bit boring. Would have been way better with more Richard in it.

less is more

I saw the Hobbit recently and couldn't place Thorin, and then realized it was the gorgeous Mr Thornton from North & South! Kind of a pity he is all hairy and short in the Hobbit trilogy though he still has a very intense presence.

I just wonder if he is going to get the career bounce that Viggo (or Orlando) got out of LOTR because Richard does not look very conventionally attractive in the Hobbit. Though, Orlando couldn't really translate his bounce into anything long term because he isn't a very good actor; he seems to have one mode. However, I think Richard is very talented, much more in the Viggo league of acting, so it would be a pity if the Hobbit didn't lead on to bigger and better things for him.

From a Glamour UK shoot last year:

tumblr

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

The problem is that he doesn't look anything like himself in the film, so I worry that he is not getting the right type of exposure. Those who haven't seen his BBC stuff probably won't realize how sexy he is. But I agree that he is very talented (and gorgeous) and Hollywood would be a bunch of morons to not want to cast him in more major roles.
But if not, then its their loss. He can go back to doing great stuff on BBC.

Feels Like Heaven

I'm in love in this man And his voice...omg

09-07-2013
front row

Lawsy, bumping this thread. How quiet is it here?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
armitage, richard