How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2014
fashion icon

I'm disappointed Rooney would take this role. She has her pick of parts at the moment and White actresses in general have more parts written for them. Why take a role that could --and should-- have gone to a Native American actress?

13-03-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
nothing to do with Rooney herself but I find it insultingly funny that they claim: "The world being created is multi-racial/international" and yet they cast Rooney to play a native american character
I agree: have a multi-racial cast then! I felt this way when Daniel Day Lewis was cast in "The Last of the Mohicans"

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
13-03-2014
V.I.P.

^and if you´re not gonna cast a native american actress at least cast a latin/indian/african american... I mean, anyone but a pale white girl.

13-03-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
I'm disappointed Rooney would take this role. She has her pick of parts at the moment and White actresses in general have more parts written for them. Why take a role that could --and should-- have gone to a Native American actress?
Come on now, it's not fair to blame her. She's an actress, it's a big movie, they offered her the role. And apparently she wasn't the only white actress being tested. Joe and the producers were stupid to think this wouldn't bring one hell of criticism.

V.I.P.

^Adele Exarchopoulos and Lupita Nyong'o were also considered. It makes me wonder if Nyong'o had been cast, would people be just as annoyed?

Anyway, Carol has started shooting.

d-white211's tumblr

tfs star

Much as I love her, I do think she deserves a fair share of the criticism though certainly not all. She could've turned it down. She's a young, sought-after young actress, and you can't tell me her career needs this film.

Actually, this situation reminds me of when Ezra Miller was considered for Akira, and he replied, ""It's a beautiful Japanese epic and I think it'll be a very entertaining, fun film, but it's not my next move." I always felt that was a subtle critique of Hollywood's tendency to whitewash films, and for that reason, if Lupita had been cast, the reaction would probably (and I think rightfully) have been much different. I doubt the film would completely escape criticism, because if it's hard for black actresses, then it is unimaginably challenging for Native Americans. That said, the fact that Lupita is a minority would not in effect be "whitewashing"--which is the main problem people have with this. Especially because they're trying to pass it off under the guise of being "multi-racial" and all-inclusive, when most of the significant parts have gone to white actors.

Last edited by chickadee; 13-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.
13-03-2014
V.I.P.

^I think Miller & Akira is a different thing. They´re making a movie based on a comic book, the characters are asian because it´s set in Japan. The new version will be set in NYC.

13-03-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^I think Miller & Akira is a different thing. They´re making a movie based on a comic book, the characters are asian because it´s set in Japan. The new version will be set in NYC.
I was saying this situation reminds me of that because it was an example of an actor who turned down a role written as a POC that could potentially be viewed as "whitewashing."

13-03-2014
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
Come on now, it's not fair to blame her. She's an actress, it's a big movie, they offered her the role. And apparently she wasn't the only white actress being tested. Joe and the producers were stupid to think this wouldn't bring one hell of criticism.

With her family wealth and her steady acting roles stemming from her Oscar nom, Rooney is not some struggling actress who desperately needs this role or the paycheck that comes with it. So yes, I think it is fair to blame her for taking this role.

13-03-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
With her family wealth and her steady acting roles stemming from her Oscar nom, Rooney is not some struggling actress who desperately needs this role or the paycheck that comes with it. So yes, I think it is fair to blame her for taking this role.
Oh c'mon. She's an actress, maybe she thought it was a challenging character for her to play. I wish people stopped being so petty.

13-03-2014
V.I.P.

I think it's because of a long history in Hollywood, like with black-face/minstrelsy and such. I personally would look more at the producers/casting agents than at Rooney for blame in this. They just want to make money so they're looking to cast a "star" and there are very few Native American bankable stars because of long-standing systemic and cultural issues.

This is a bigger issue than Rooney, with that I agree.

It is similar to Angelina Jolie taking the role in A Mighty Heart or Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans; lots of people had issues with those roles/casting choices too.

And then it raises other issues: can a straight person play a gay or transgendered person; can a gay person play a straight person? Personally, on this one, I say yes, because sexuality is different than ethnicity/racial background, but for others, they would say yes to both because it's all part of acting.

No matter what, I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that it would be nice to see more Native American screen stars developed.

In the 70s, through "Blaxploitation," lots of African American actors were developed, as shoddy/stereotypical as some of those films were. In the 80s and 90s, lots of Latino actors and actresses came to the fore. But we don't see many films at all with Native American stars/actors, and yet here's a chance to cast one, and who knows? Maybe find a bright new star.

That's my issue with this choice.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
14-03-2014
fashion insider

I think Rooney should be blamed for this but at the same time it's strange that Hollywood has learnt from the backlash Johnny Depp got for Lone Ranger. As someone said before, Rooney is not a struggling actress and I find it hard to believe that this is the best role that she's being offered.

19-03-2014
V.I.P.

Everybody, let's go back to Rooney. No more talk about about the casting choices. Thank you.

tfs star

Looking forward to see her as Tiger Lily.

05-04-2014
V.I.P.

Fan picture and some pictures from the set of Carol:

rooneydaily, missbelivet's tumblr

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mara, rooney