Royal and Historic Jewelry - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2010
trendsetter

Queen Sirikit of Thailand wearing her Nine gems belt
It is believed that the nine gems will bring happiness and luck to the wearer. The gems and their beneficial powers are as follows: Diamond-Power, wealth, success over enemies. Ruby-Success and longevity. Emerald-Strength and security. Yellow Sapphire-Love and Garnet-Health and longevity. Blue Sapphire-Love and wealth. Pearl Moonstone-Purity and happiness and success of enemies. Zircon/Topaz-Wealth and success in law cases. Cat's Eye-protection by spirits and from fire.

Photo credit: TRF

03-05-2010
trendsetter

La Peregrina Pearl
Quote: "
"La Peregrina" in Spanish means "the Pilgrim" or "the Wanderer." The large pear-shaped white pearl, which originally weighed 223.8 grains, and was the largest pearl ever discovered during this period, was discovered in 1513 off the Pearl Islands in the Gulf of Panama by a negro slave. The pearl entered the Spanish Crown Jewels during the period of rule of King Ferdinand V (1479-1516) or his successor King Charles V (1516-1556). Phillip II (1556-1598) gave the pearl as a gift to Queen Mary I of England (Mary Tudor or Bloody Mary) in anticipation of their marriage in 1554. After Queen Mary's death in 1558 the pearl was returned to Spain, where it remained for over 250 years, becoming a favorite ornament of all queen consorts of Spain until the year 1808, when Napoleon Bonaparte captured Spain and installed his brother Joseph Bonaparte on the throne. When Joseph Bonaparte fled Madrid after the defeat of the French forces by the joint Anglo-Spanish-Portuguese forces at the Battle of Vitoria, he carried the renowned pearl with him. It was then the celebrated pearl came to be known as the "La Peregrina - the Wanderer." Joseph Bonaparte left the pearl to his nephew Charles Louis Napoleon (Napoleon III) who while in exile in London sold it to the 2nd Marques of Abercorn, due to serious financial difficulties. Thus true to its name the "La Peregrina" that arrived from America to Spain, went to England for a short period, then returned to Spain and after remaining in Spain for over 250 years, left for France, from where it went back to England and remained with an aristocratic family, the Dukes of Abercorn until the year 1969, when it was purchased by Richard Burton for his wife Elizabeth Taylor."

Queen Mary of Great Britian wearing the La Peregrina Pearl

Elizabeth Taylor wearing the La Peregrina Pearl

Princess Zinaida Yusupov wearing the La Pelegrina Pearl as a head ornamentsurmounted by the La Regente

Picture and quote credits from: internetstones.com/la-peregrina-pearl-

03-05-2010
V.I.P.

This thread is fantastic (as are the jewels!) thank you so much for your contributions styleicon

V.I.P.

Diamond Bandeau Tiara

Antique Pearl Tiara

Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara

Laurel Wreath Tiara

Wurttemberg Peal Tiara

Ears of Wheat Tiara

Pearl Button Tiara

Royal Dutch Jewels

03-05-2010
trendsetter

Tiffany - my pleasure to post and share! Which royal house do you think has the most jewels? Before world war one probably Russia or maybe a marahaja had the most. Today I think that the House of Orange has the largest colleciton.

Empress Merel, very nice photos, I especially like the delicate sapphire and diamond neclace that the Queen is wearing with the Ears of Wheat tiara.

1894: Alexandra, Tsarina of Russia in her coronation dress. Her entire gown is embeleshed with jems and jewels. I imagine that it was difficult to walk in this dress. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images).

Photo by shahjewelry.com Maharaja of Patilia, Yadavindra Singh, in a spectacular suite of diamonds. Generations of gems and jewels are presented in this photograph from 1941. Take note of the size of the diamonds in the center of his chest

03-05-2010
fashion elite

dianacollecting.files.wordpress

ewholesaletiara

pricescope

Last edited by jomarlushka; 03-05-2010 at 10:50 AM.
03-05-2010
Geometric Discharge

In The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Alexandra Feodorovna by Greg King, Anna Vyrubova (I think it was) described how the huge diamond earrings the then Princess Alix of Hesse-Darmstadt wore on her wedding day were so heavy that they had to be held on with metal wire that encircled her ears, which cut into her as the ceremony went on.

The one photograph I always remember is where the Bolsheviks have thousands of the Imperial Jewels scattered across a table and they're cataloguing them I think, but you can recognize some extremely famous pieces of jewellery on that table that now belong to modern day royalty.

03-05-2010
trendsetter

The Tiara of France
Quote:
"In I853 Napoleon III asked Gabriel Lemonnier to design the Perl Diadem for his wife the Emperess Eugenie. In I887 the French Republic sold all the Crown Jewels including the famous Tiara. Prince Albert I von Thurn und Taxis bought the Tiara in 1890 as a wedding present for his wife Princess Margaret. Their grandson the late Prince Johannes von Thurn und Taxis, the IIth Prince T&T, got married May 31 1980 to Countess Gloria von Schönborn Glauchau. Princess Gloria has put on the Tiara only twice: the day of her wedding and for the 60th birthday of Prince Johannes, June 5, 1986. The Tiara of France has 212 pearls and 1998 diamonds. It can now be viewed at the Louvre Museum as part of the collection of the crown jewels of France."

Photo and quote credit: missdelite.blogspot.com

04-05-2010
trendsetter

Princess Marie Bonaparte

Princess Marie Bonaparte, Diadem, Cartier, 1907, Private Collection, Courtesy Albion Art Jewellery Institute, Archives Cartier, diamonddivas.com

04-05-2010
trendsetter

Quote: "Madonna decided to auction her £170,000 wedding tiara (worn during her 2000 wedding to Guy Ritchie) on Ebay to raise money for the Rebuild the Soul of America charity. The tiara was also worn by the late Princess Grace of Monaco."

According to the press reports, this tiara was worn once by Princess Grace of Monaco at the wedding of her daughter, Princess Caroline. I have found the photos of both princesses wearing tiaras at Princess Caroline's wedding and their tiaras don't look like the one worn by Madonna at her wedding. The press reports were just rumors.

Purple wedding flowers.com, theweddingtiara.com, halfpricetiaras.com, TRF

04-05-2010
trendsetter

Loelia, Duchess of Westminster
Loelia Duchess of Westminster photographed by Cecil Beaton in 1931 wearing a kokoshnik halo-shaped tiara.

rosecestlavie.blogspot.com

04-05-2010
trendsetter

Queen Marie of Romania
Queen Marie, also known as Marie of Edinburgh, was born on October 29, 1875, in Kent, England. Daughter of Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Marie, the only surviving daughter of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, Marie was also the granddaughter of Queen Victoria. At the age of 17, she married Ferdinand of Romania, and was crowned Queen in 1914.

photo credits: wikimedia, royalromaniawordpress.com, Getty Images, TRF

04-05-2010
trendsetter

Maria of Romania (6 January 1900 – 22 June 1961) was queen consort to King Alexander I of Yugoslavia. She became Queen Mother of Yugoslavia when, following the assassination of King Alexander in Marseille in 1934, her oldest son became Peter II of Yugoslavia.

Photo credit encyclobanknotes.blogspot

Last edited by styleicon; 04-05-2010 at 02:39 AM.
04-05-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
"The Fabergé tiara that now belongs to the Grosvenors. According to Geoffrey Munn: 'A tiara in the form of a graduated band of Cyclamen coum tied with knots of ribbon, purchased form Fabergé for the Hon. Mrs Wilson Fox. The tiara can be effortlessly removed from its gold frame and worn as an articulated necklace. Contained within its original fitted case, the jewel has undoubtedly come from the workshops of the chief jewellery workmaster to Fabergé, Albert Holmström, c1903."

http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/...rs-faberge.htm
photo credit and quote: forum.alexanderpalace.org

05-05-2010
trendsetter

Empress Farah of Iran
Pictures of her beautiful turquoise tiara

aryamehr11, flickr, interfoto, dinastias.forogeneral.es

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
historic, jewelry, royal