Women in Politics - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
According to Page Six Andre Leon Talley is creeping around Michelle Obama trying to turn her into to his own personal Barbie a la Jennifer Hudson. Stay away Michelle...far away...
Appearantly Calvin Klein and Anna Wintour hosted a dinner for Michelle yesterday, weird there are no pictures.....

18-06-2008
V.I.P.

It was a fundraiser, so the press is usually barred from those events. I know it was Anna, her boyfriend, Andre, Calvin and some other people chairing it; but you had to pay $10,000 for a seat!

29-06-2008
Procrastinator.

Here's another article on Michelle Obama's style:
Quote:

The Sunday Times

June 29, 2008

Michelle Obama fuels fashion frenzy

Tony Allen-Mills in New York

Economic recession may be looming, but New York’s fashion industry has found a potential saviour. Designers are queuing up to dress Michelle Obama, whose taste in simple, inexpensive summer wear has sent thousands of women scurrying to copy her look.

The wife of Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, sparked a fashion storm earlier this month when a dress that she wore on a popular television chat show sold out at stores across the country.

Obama told viewers she had paid $148 (£74) for the casual black-and-white leaf-print frock that she wore for an appearance on The View, a morning show watched mainly by women.

The occasion was widely interpreted as a calculated attempt to soften her image after a series of controversies during her husband’s primary campaign. Republican critics have questioned her patriotism and attempted to portray her as a leftist radical.

She earned mixed reviews for her political efforts, but her dress was a huge success. Designed by Donna Ricco, whose mass-market fashions are sold at department stores such as Macy’s and Nordstrom, the dress is estimated to have sold 2,000 copies in a single day.

“Apparently she just bought it off the rack,” said Ricco, who sells the same dress from her website for $99. “I didn’t realise she would be wearing it until people saw the show and started calling me.”

Several New York designers have expressed an interest in Obama, who has been described as potentially the most stylish first lady since Jackie Kennedy.
Appearing in New York at a recent fundraiser on behalf of her husband, Obama was mobbed by a crowd of fashion celebrities, among them Calvin Klein and Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine.

Article source: timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4232050.ece

I think the comparison to Jackie Kennedy is apt. Michelle has a streamlined and chic manner of dressing:

Source: thecaucas.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/michelle_obama_charms_colbert/

Source: bigtaddah.com/2007/12/elected.html

Source: smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/10/obamabash_wideweb__470x343,0.jpg

Source: becomingsomebody.com/tag/michelle-obama/

Source: necn.com/Boston/Politics/Michelle-Obama-talks-womens-issues-in-NH/1214519522.html

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie

Last edited by Party_Vixen; 12-07-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: disabling clickable links in source and removing dead link
15-09-2008
turn and face the strange

I really like the streamlined professional yet feminine look! nice thread.

15-10-2008
front row

I have a senior thesis to do and I'm considering writing about the politics of fashion. I don't really have a direction but this thread is a good start so keep it coming!

02-03-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

The Ukranian Prime minister and that lady whose name i frget that was recently fired by the Obama admin are very chic

trendsetter

Some french women in politics look gorgeous and have a nice style :
Rachida Dati

Rama Yade

scenester

I think she looks fairly good.

It's Finland's new prime minister Mari Kiviniemi.

marikiviniemi.net

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
politics, women