Honor - Front Row - Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2014

'12 Years a Slave' Premieres in Toronto

"Prisoners" Premiere - Arrivals - 2013 Toronto International Film Festival

"The F Word" Press Conference - 2013 Toronto International Film Festival

"F Word" Portraits - 2013 Toronto International Film Festival

zimbio

10-01-2014
V.I.P.

Jake Johnson and Zoe Kazan's new movie, The Pretty One!

popsugar

V.I.P.

SAG Awards

just jared

V.I.P.

Quote:
She might be young, but Zoe Kazan's career is expansive--whether she's on TV (Bored to Death), in movies (Ruby Sparks) or writing plays, like Trudy and Max in Love, which she just wrapped in Los Angeles. However, Kazan's latest project The Pretty One involved something that even she has never done before, which is really saying something.

The actress plays identical twins in the comedy, which follows what happens to the "shy twin" when the outgoing, popular one suddenly dies. Costarring Jake Johnson from New Girl, the movie is a sweet look into identity and finding oneself--except this time, with some seriously cute clothes and an off-kilter indie vibe.

We phoned Kazan to talk about the movie, the trouble with playing opposite yourself, and what she does about writer's block.

Hey Zoe. Where are you calling from right now?

I'm in LA right now. I wrote a play that's been happening here, and it just wrapped. I'm staying in my parents' house, which is a little weird sometimes but also really nice. I think it's starting to drive Paul [Dano, Kazan's boyfriend] crazy, because as much as he loves my family, he's still living in someone else's home [laughing].

Totally. How do you feel now that your play has wrapped? Relieved? Sad?

You know, I feel like almost any creative person experiences a mind-blowing depression after you finish something. I think it's hard to work on something so intensely and then let it go...especially because you've become so absorbed by it for so long.

So let's talk about your new movie, The Pretty One. How was it playing twins?

It was so fun! I've never played a twin before, obviously, so it was a rare, really cool opportunity.

How exactly did you film opposite yourself?

That's a really interesting question; it was the most fascinating part of the movie for me. Basically they used a super old technique, like the same one they used in the original Parent Trap! They had me dress as one of the sisters opposite my body double and we'd do a whole scene, and then they would have me on the other frame dressed as the other sister basically doing the whole scene again. Then, they'd take both frames and put them together so it's me in both.

Wow. That's awesome.

Yeah, it was so crazy. It was especially challenging, though, because everything had to be perfectly identical. Even if an extra was in a different position or a piece of clothing was wrinkled, you'd be able to tell. We had to do each scene two full times, so it took much longer than a normal scene.

You also wore quite the wig in this movie...

[Laughing] Oh yes, the wig! It was beautiful and made of real human hair, but I hated it. My god, it weighs you down so much. Wearing a wig is like having a dead animal on your head....not very pleasant.

Can we talk about your characters' clothes?

I loved the clothes! It was great because the costume designer became a friend, and she has the most beautiful taste. It was a lot of vintage stuff mixed with places like ASOS, and I was constantly asking her, "Where'd you get this? Where'd you get this?"

Where do you like to shop in real life?

I love going thrift shopping. I'm such a sucker for a bargain. Anytime I find out I'm not paying full price for something, I feel great. The truth is, I don't spend too much money on clothing because it makes me feel uncomfortable. Like actually, I wait all summer for the Steven Alan sale and then stock up! It's like a weird high.

As someone who's written both plays and movies, what do you do when you get writer's block?

Hm..I guess I'm in a funny situation where I'm lucky because I don't have to make my living as a writer. It's my second job, so there's less pressure on me. Since I'm acting I have less time to write--so when I do write, it's easier to find what I need to say. Last year I didn't write at all because I was making movies, so when I wrote my play immediately after that, it came naturally. The idea that we can be creative all the time is impossible; you need to have a balance.

nylonmag.com

V.I.P.

Honor fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall 2014 held at Eyebeam on Monday (February 10) in New York City.

just jared

02-04-2014
V.I.P.

Special screening of upcoming film Only Lovers Left Alive held at Landmark’s Sunshine Cinema on Tuesday (April 1) in New York City.

just jared

V.I.P.

Actress Zoe Kazan from "In Your Eyes", poses for the Tribeca Film Festival Getty Images Studio on April 21, 2014 in New York City.

zimbio

V.I.P.

Actress Zoe Kazan attends the "In Your Eyes" Premiere during the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival at the SVA Theater on April 20, 2014 in New York City.

zimbio

V.I.P.

'Boyhood' New York premiere at Museum of Modern Art on July 7, 2014 in New York City.

zimbio

V.I.P.

Actress Zoe Kazan attends the "What If" New York fan screening at Regal E-Walk 13 on August 4, 2014 in New York City.

zimbio

V.I.P.

Leaving NBC’s Today Show in New York City - August 4, 2014

starity.hu

V.I.P.

Rachel Comey presentation at Pioneer Works Center For Arts & Innovation in Red Hook on September 4, 2014 in New York City.

Zoe Kazan attends the HONOR fashion show at Art Beam on September 4, 2014 in New York City.

Zoe Kazan attends the Peter Som fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2015 at Milk Studios on September 5, 2014 in New York City.

Zoe Kazan and Paul Dano attend HFPA & InStyle's 2014 TIFF celebration during the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival at Windsor Arms Hotel on September 6, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.

Zoe Kazan attends the "Love & Mercy" premiere during the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival at The Elgin on September 7, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.

Zoe Kazan attends the Prada and The Cinema Society screening of The Weinstein Company's "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" at Landmark's Sunshine Cinema on September 10, 2014 in New York City.

zimbio

V.I.P.

'Into The Woods' World Premiere in NYC - December 8, 2014

starity.hu

V.I.P.

Our Brand is Crisis premiere at the Toronto Film Festival - September 11, 2015

starity.hu

V.I.P.

2015 Toronto International Film Festival - 'Our Brand Is Crisis' Press Conference

zimbio

Tags
kazan, zoe