How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Star Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-10-2012
tfs star

Yeah, I admit I was kind of like that, too in those two cases. ^^^ But mainly because both Will and Jamie were comedians and had a persona that seemed to me incompatible with the roles they were playing. In this case, I'm dubious because it seems a typical Hollywood move. Whenever they can, they avoid casting actresses--specifically black actresses--who look too ethnic. Nina Simone was dark-skinned, beautiful full lips, and sported an afro. Zoe is brown skinned, thin lips, thin nose and very European looking. That's my beef with this. I don't doubt Zoe's talent so much as I doubt her presence and detest the obvious racially-motivated implications behind her casting.

26-10-2012
V.I.P.

Actress Zoe Saldana on the set of 'Nina' in Los Angeles, CA on October 25th, 2012. The movie tells the story of the late jazz musician and classical pianist Nina Simone including her rise to fame and relationship with her manager Clifton Henderson.

zimbio

27-10-2012
V.I.P.

On the set of ''Nina'' in LA - October 26, 2012

tlfan.to (posted by Tikipeter)

27-10-2012
V.I.P.

27-10-2012
V.I.P.

27-10-2012
fashion insider

I cannot get behind this. It says a lot of someone to sign onto a film that the family and estate doesn't even support. And we all know she'll more or less get award show buzz for the role, too. Ugh. Go back to gracing us with your LA street style, Zoe.

28-10-2012
tfs star

Oh no. Did they really go for the black face make-up? I second your motion frieda.

12-11-2012
scenester

Zoe Saldana lands lenscrafters campaign

theybf.com

12-11-2012
scenester

India Arie Criticizes Zoe Saldana Being Cast As Nina Simone

Quote:
India Arie has added her voice to the considerable outcry over Zoe Saldana portraying Nina Simone in a bippic of her life.
The “I Am Not My Hair” singer criticized the casting in an essay posted on Nina Simone’s webpage. While she believes Simone deserves to have a biographical film, she thinks the film is ignoring a central part of the jazz singer’s legacy. “So today I saw the images of Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone…AND I THINK THEY ARE RIDICULOUS,” India.Arie wrote. “Yes there should be a movie made, and YES they should have chosen someone who LOOKS like Nina Simone, ESPECIALLY since her RACE played such a PIVOTAL role in WHO, WHAT and WHY, she was.”
She also mused about the makeup that was placed on the lighter skinned Saldana. “THAT ASIDE for a second, this just looks WEIRD, it looks like a person in Black(er) face with a fake nose … REALLY?!!!!” she continued. “DOES NOT THE ONE NINA SIMONE’S LEGACY DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS? If they were going to pick a person who looks NOTHING like Nina Simone … why not her daughter Simone *shrug* just saying.:
Arie also addressed suggestions that she should be the one to portray Simone on film. Apparently, the songstress doesn’t think she is a good fit for the role either. “I have always been OPEN to playing Nina, but I never saw its as my RIGHT! I am clearly Nina Simone’s Physical Heir Apparent, THAT doesn’t mean I SHOULD play her, its been tossed around A LOT, for a LONG TIME,” she wrote. “I back down because I feel her legacy deserves better than a FIRST TIME MOVIE ACTRESS, I’m like that about my heroes. If I ever FELT I was truly CALLED to play her, I would. And maybe Zoe Saldana REALLY is BEING CALLED SPIRITUALLY TO PLAY THIS ROLE …”
She ended the post by saying actress Viola Davis should have the role.
atlantablackstar.com

12-11-2012
V.I.P.

Who is managing her career? Why on earth would she do in LensCrafters deal for advertisement it just doesn't make any sense.

12-11-2012
fashion elite

lol I think she looks good on the advert pictures.

The real question is : who is managing her career ? Why on earth would she accept to be a part of the controversial Nina Simone project ?
The backlash is huge and the movie isn't even finished yet.I don't think,I have ever come across an article or blog post that is supporting this whole thing.

All I have to say is good luck with that one

12-11-2012
fashion insider

I saw those ads in the mall as I walked past the other day! And while I think they're awesome, I was also confused!

Also, could a mod make us a separate thread to discuss Nina and the OT talk about it since it doesn't belong here?

12-11-2012
tfs star

^^^I second this!

29-11-2012
V.I.P.

Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection launch event on Wednesday (November 28) in New York City.

justjared.com

29-11-2012
V.I.P.

2013 Independent Spirit Awards at a press conference at the W Hollywood on Tuesday (November 27) in Hollywood, Calif.

justjared.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2014, july, november, saldana, zoe