How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-07-2012
V.I.P.

It was really boring at the beginning but I love the later part - cyclist-doves and the fire

But still, they are less exciting/spectacular when compared Beijing's in 2008

It's alright in general

Can't wait for the games!!
Posted via Mobile Device

27-07-2012
tfs star

I'm so glad to see not just British people on here enjoying it. I watched the whole thing absolutely gobsmacked but part of me wondered whether it was just my (inflated*) national pride. But it really was great wasn't it? Having several young athletes lighting the cauldron rather than just the one... the Queen having a sense of humour... Kenneth Branagh... Mr Bean... Arctic Monkeys and all the emotional tributes were all just wonderful.

I seriously hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

what with the Royal Wedding and Jubilee over the past 2 years...

fashion insider

Loved it! For me it summed up what i like about this country and why i made it home. Very impressed. Loved the start, it looked like something from LOTR. Well done.

27-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Is there anywhere I can download the instrumental music playing during the whole thing with the Industrial Revolution, and Kenneth Branagh smiling and then the rings appearing in the sky and everything?
This site apparently has the playlist of all the music from the ceremony in order.

27-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyLeReveur View Post
But still, they are less exciting/spectacular when compared Beijing's in 2008
Was that the one with a performance by Björk? (getting all the events mixed up here).. that's probably my favorite so far, it was beautiful..

Loved what I caught from this one but at 4 pm it's hard to watch this stuff..

fashion insider

unfortunately i could only see part of the parade of the countries' delegations and the finale, i liked what i saw though..
when they lighted all the torches and then they rise up while listening to Pink Floyd was a very climactic moment, i got goosebumps!
on my tv they kept commenting about how odd was that they left the fire on the middle of the field and wondering how the athletes would compete.. i guess it will be moved, but how and when? any info about that??

anyway i'm excited for gymnastics tomorrow! vamos Tomás Gonzalez!!

27-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Was that the one with a performance by Björk? (getting all the events mixed up here).. that's probably my favorite so far, it was beautiful..
Björk's performance was in Athens, i think

27-07-2012
V.I.P.

^ just checked, thanks!! 2004!, crazy.. I remember talking here about Björk's dress (whatever happened to that thread ).

tfs star

All I can say is that it was good opening ceremony but not great like Beijing 4 years ago. I like the beggining with the whole revolution parts and so on, but I can't say it was great when the subject most people (local commentators and my twitter TL) were talking was Rowan Atkinson, (who was great, btw).
And NO ZEPPELIN (only like 5 secs.), wtf is wrong with you Danny Boyle?

fashion icon

I was really pleased with this opening ceremony-and everyone else at our party agreed it was pretty great. I think it's unfair to compare this opening ceremony to Beijing because what they did was show-stopping, but also remember, that was sort of China's moment to prove to the world that they were more then people's preconceived notions of them. Whereas Britain is pretty well established and this opening ceremony was more paying tribute to certain things which are uniquely British but also understandable and universally known around the world (such as seeing J.K. Rowling...what nation hasn't been affected by the Harry Potter books?). I really enjoyed seeing Rowan Atkinson, J.K. Rowling, the rolling hills (anyone get the Shire/LOTR vibe from it?), and the lighting of the cauldron. I love that they pretty much psyched everyone out by making everyone think that it would probably be Roger Bannister lighting the cauldron but it wasn't. And in fact I prefer that they chose seven up-and-coming British athletes instead. It was a sweet way to remind the athletes and everyone else watching that they have a chance to "inspire a generation." I liked that these teenagers were sort of a reminder of the promise of tomorrow. Overall I think the whole ceremony was very British, which I loved. Anyways.... can't wait for the games to really begin!

Making a Mess

I'm watching it now. And so far I love it. My favourite part was with Mr. Bean. So funny.

And I loved the music montage. Great party vibe and showcase of Britain's music scene over the years!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post

Loved what I caught from this one but at 4 pm it's hard to watch this stuff..
No it's the one with many special effects, Li Ning flying with the torch, etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device

28-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Vixen View Post
I'm watching it now. And so far I love it. My favourite part was with Mr. Bean. So funny.

And I loved the music montage. Great party vibe and showcase of Britain's music scene over the years!
Oh where can I watch it?? I took a quick nap during it so I missed JK rowling thx
Posted via Mobile Device

28-07-2012
Making a Mess

^ I'm in Australia so it's airing here now as an encore presentation.

Sorry I don't know where you can watch it online.

Also, the part where the confetti started to rain down on the Great Britain team and the camera shot to the Queen and she was picking
at her nails, not paying a lick of attention -- I DIED!

Mr. Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyLeReveur View Post
Oh where can I watch it?? I took a quick nap during it so I missed JK rowling thx
Posted via Mobile Device
Mrs. Rowling part is rather short, she was telling some sentences from a book and then people in a black scary outfit started coming out dancing etc etc with a special appearance by Voldemort giant dummy You didn't miss anything imo

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW F/W 14.15
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, london, olympics, summer