How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2014
fashion icon

2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for the Sochi Olympic games which start today. I figure this can be a place to support and cheer on our favorite athletes and to talk about the games. I have some mixed feelings about this Olympics (some of the social/political issues) but at the same time I feel it is important to support the athletes who've worked so, so hard to get to this place.

And as the Google Doodle for today reminds us, "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play."
–Olympic Charter

So let the games begin!

07-02-2014
V.I.P.

thanks for the thread YoninahAliza!

Of course this years games are a bit over shadowed because of the political and social issues in the area and with the games themselves which is really unfortunate.

Here is some photos of the Opening Ceremony. I have to remind myself of the significant time difference for those of us in the US! http://www.sochi2014.com/en/photo-ga...oid=0000002652

NBC is live streaming the whole event http://www.nbcolympics.com/

07-02-2014
I love you too

I'm working in Sochi for Olympics and I must say I was almost crying during Opening Ceremony. Is it just because I'm russian, or the ceremony was simply breathtaking?
I feel really bad because of all bad press Sochi Olimpics got so far, but I hope with the start of the games everyone will look on the bright sides. And the bright sides are that Stadiums are great, transport working good and I'm seeing so many happy and smiling people around me!

My pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3033.jpg (427.4 KB, 6 views)

07-02-2014
V.I.P.

I am SO EXCITED for women's figure skating!!!

But satisfaction brought it back
08-02-2014
fashion icon

Wow Lakomka- that sounds like a great experience for you! I imagine it is an amazing thing to be within the vicinity of any Olympic games and to experience the vibe of the games first hand.

I'm particularly looking forward to watching short track speed skating (gotta cheer on my favorite, J.R. Celski!), snowboarding, figure skating, hockey and luge (rooting for Erin Hamlin mainly). Although to be honest, I just love watching a majority of the sporting events, there's always something interesting going on. Right now I'm watching some of the men's slope style snowboarding event, it's so interesting to watch, definitely a cool new addition to the Olympics.

V.I.P.

Lakomka, thats a great photo! It does sound like a great experience to be there. The Opening Ceremony was enjoyable.

08-02-2014
V.I.P.

Loved the opening ceremony, very impressive.

A good deal of those "issues" and bad press surrounding Sochi is not true and/or is very exaggerated but Im not gonna dwell on that. Its a celebration of sports in the first line, everyone should be busy with their own country affairs,why not just enjoy the games as always and appreciate the sportsmen and all the efforts of Russia too as a host.

Here is a nice NBC promo, well done :

samuel erzerzer

Im looking forward to figure skating the most
Thank you for the thread.

fashion icon

The games have started out rather lovely, with the Canadian sisters Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe winning gold and silver respectively in the moguls. That was super sweet to see the two of them together on the podium, I cannot even imagine what it must feel like to have a sibling competing with you, but I guess along with their sister Maxine, they are used to it.

Also really loved the mens slopestyle snowboarding event, with American Sage Kotsenburg taking home gold, Norway’s Staale Sandbech with silver, and Mark McMorris of Canada getting bronze. I really enjoyed seeing the three guys together, when they realized they had all place well, it was so sweet (from what I understand they all quite good friends, having come up in the snowboarding world together). Also, Sage seems like a totally chill guy from all the interviews, quite cute too.

Opening was pretty amazing. I love Olympics so I know what I'm gonna do next two weeks. I don't care so much my country's success but I love seeing people happy faces when they win or just make little bit better than they are expecting, knowing how much work they have done just to get games. I would love to be there myself.

Oh, I just wish they would have used nesting (is that really English word for those Russian dolls?) as mascots rather than animals. I loved all those colorful stuff beginning of ceremony and also nesting in snowboarding field, they would be more Russian for me, of course if they have reused Miska.

V.I.P.

My husband is obsessed with the Olympics! We know someone working there as well.

I did read something the other day that made me a little sad and of course hope it's not true, but I suppose it's always a risk with "judge" sports of any kind, not just the Olympics:

Quote:
The French magazine L’Equipe is reporting that Russian and American judges have allegedly agreed to a vote-swapping deal and will collude against Canadian ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir from repeating their gold medal performance at Vancouver 2010.

According to the magazine’s unnamed “senior Russian coach” source, the terms of the alleged agreement will have the Americans assist Russia in the new figure skating team event while the Russians will back American ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

Both the Russians and the Americans will win a gold medal for these events, at the expense of Virtue and Moir.

The pressure is on Russia to perform well after failing to win a gold medal in figure skating events at the 2010 Games. For the Americans, Davis and White won silver in Vancouver, coming just behind their friends Virtue and Moir.

The Canadian ice dance duo are seen as strong contenders for the gold medal title, but it is expected to be a close finish against Davis and White.

This comes ten years after the Salt Lake 2002 figure skating scandal when Canadian pairs skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were nearly denied of a gold medal. After a media storm over scoring abnormalities, a French judge admitted that she had been pressured to vote for the Russian pair regardless of how the Canadians performed.

Sale and Pelletier were originally awarded silver, but it was later replaced with gold medal following the revelations of the fix.

The 2002 figure skating scandal led to the revamp of the judge’s scoring system in order to make it more objective. The new scoring system was established as the mandatory system for all international competitions beginning in 2006, including the Torino 2006 Winter Games.
vancitybuzz

Quote:
SOCHI, Russia — Who says the United States and Russia cannot get along?

Forget the chilly relationship between President Obama and his counterpart, Vladimir V. Putin.

Forget the kerfuffle that has left American athletes without a certain Greek yogurt in the Olympic Village.

In ice dancing, the United States and Russia could not be chummier, according to a report in a French sports newspaper. Ah, Olympic ice dancing, an event with more scandals than sequins.

On Saturday, the United States Figure Skating Association denied as “categorically false” a report in the newspaper, L’Équipe, that America and Russia were conspiring to rig the pairs and ice dancing competitions at the Sochi Games at the expense of Canada.

A pause for explanation: There are two figure skating competitions at these Olympics. The new team event concludes Sunday. Then the traditional disciplines — men’s, women’s, pairs and ice dancing — will commence.

RELATED COVERAGE

With Team Skating, It’s Now Kiss, Cry, Squeeze InFEB. 8, 2014
Ashley Wagner Helps U.S. Advance in Team Skating EventFEB. 8, 2014
According to L’Équipe, which quoted an unnamed Russian coach, the United States intended to help Russia win the overall team event and the pairs competition. In return, Russia would make sure the Americans Charlie White and Meryl Davis won the ice dancing competition.
new york times

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 09-02-2014 at 10:42 AM.
09-02-2014
fashion insider

That would be an utter shame. Virtue and Moir take my breath away every time they perform.

09-02-2014
fashion icon

I've herd some reports about this too (from the Canadian television network that I have access too. Which btw, I really love the way they are broadcasting of the games, it's so well done) but I seriously hope this is false reporting. People should win based on how well they performed not because of bribery. I was really young when the ice skating scandal happened but I remember it put a damper on things, no one wants a win to be surrounded by scandal.

V.I.P.

Pixie, totally agree about Virtue and Moir; I figure skated for 16 years so I relate best to the skating as a winter olympic sport, and I find those 2 so compelling to watch; their dance at the 2010 Olympics actually brought tears to my eyes! That said, no doubt Davis and White are a wonderful pairing too.

Yoninah, agreed. I am just hoping it's false.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
09-02-2014
V.I.P.

^The Russian judges are DEFINITELY inflating the scores of certain native skaters (*cough*Julia Lipniskaia*cough*)

But satisfaction brought it back
09-02-2014
V.I.P.

I don't know, like I said before I hope it's untrue; however, it's certainly interesting that things played out as L'Equipe magazine predicted with the Russians winning the team skate.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 09-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, games, olympic, sochi, winter