How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2012
trendsetter

I'm starting out with:
Secret Vampire (#1 The Night World series by L.J. Smith)

Last edited by Mistique; 04-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.

04-01-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niusity View Post
^Never let me Go is the top book of those which I read in 2011.

I'd like to read the Great Gatsby, too.
Never Let me Go is very good and it isnt that long. The Great Gastby is great, I truly do recommend it, plus its very short imo.

One of the mistakes I did in last year's challenge was reading super long books like Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, so even if they were really good, they took a lot of time.

V.I.P.

I'm not quite sure how this works. Everyone must read the same 50 books in 2012? Or everyone can read as many and whatever he wants? Do we just discuss what we read? Is there more to it?

Anyway, I've decided to read more contemporary literature this year. Unlike with movies or TV, I find it hard to know which books are 'good' and would be worth the time and effort. In an effort to solve that problem, I'm starting with some "best of 2011" lists. Right now I'm reading The Angel Esmeralda Nine Stories by Don DeLillo. As the title suggest, it's a collection of nine short stories. I'm on my third one now. Can't say I love it tbh. The stories are too vague and ambiguous to the point where I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to get out of them. Perhaps once I finish the book it'll 'click' for me.

fashion icon

^You can read whatever books you like. It doesn't matter what length or genre they are either.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I'm not quite sure how this works. Everyone must read the same 50 books in 2012? Or everyone can read as many and whatever he wants? Do we just discuss what we read? Is there more to it?
People seem to favour making lists of the books they're reading as a way to encourage them or others -- a way to track how many books they've read.

I personally love when anyone throws in a comment about how they feel about the book they're reading or the one they just read. I love book recommendations.

Here's TFS's Book Review thread, where people create more thorough/detailed reviews of books they've read or love. I love when people contribute to this; it gives us better ideas of what to read.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f51...ws-120247.html

05-01-2012
backstage pass

I think I'll join in this year!
I decided to read more books and participating in the challenge should encourage me a bit I think 30 this year would be a good start.

01. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

05-01-2012
windowshopping

I'm starting with: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

05-01-2012
windowshopping

I tried to join last year, but failed miserably, I read maybe 10 books max...

I'm going to try again, I won't make it to 50 by any chance, so I set myself the goal of reading half of that, 25. I also made a goodreads account to help me keep track, I just added all the unread books in my bookshelf, and with those I'm already close to my goal
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7342824-daisy

Currently reading:
1. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares

05-01-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint condish View Post
People seem to favour making lists of the books they're reading as a way to encourage them or others -- a way to track how many books they've read.

I personally love when anyone throws in a comment about how they feel about the book they're reading or the one they just read. I love book recommendations.

Here's TFS's Book Review thread, where people create more thorough/detailed reviews of books they've read or love. I love when people contribute to this; it gives us better ideas of what to read.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f51...ws-120247.html
Oh, alright then. I'm "joining". I'm going to set my goal very low to avoid failure, lol. Ten books sounds good right now.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellin View Post

Currently reading:
1. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares

It's such an amazing book! I have read it around 3 times but I enjoyed it every single time just the same

girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post

Anyway, I've decided to read more contemporary literature this year. Unlike with movies or TV, I find it hard to know which books are 'good' and would be worth the time and effort. In an effort to solve that problem, I'm starting with some "best of 2011" lists. Right now I'm reading The Angel Esmeralda Nine Stories by Don DeLillo. As the title suggest, it's a collection of nine short stories. I'm on my third one now. Can't say I love it tbh. The stories are too vague and ambiguous to the point where I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to get out of them. Perhaps once I finish the book it'll 'click' for me.
you can check out last year's thread for an idea about the kinds of discussions we have: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f51...-a-119717.html

people occasionally ask questions about everyone's reading habits, what genre's they enjoy, etc to help create more discussion.

But there's definitely a lot of updating of our lists to track what we're reading and how we're doing with the challenge.

Seeing other people's lists can help keep up the competitive spirit and inspire you to keep reading or check out certain books.

I agree that it's great when people take the time to post reviews (even if only briefly within this thread) of books they're loving and hating.

06-01-2012
backstage pass

finished my first book:

01. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

for an easy start :p It's been forever since I last read it, I wanted to read it again for a while, might be my favourite one of the series

06-01-2012
fashion elite

This year i hope to take more serious this challenge, last year i bought 5 books to read during a backpacking to Peru/bolivia for 2 month and got my 5 books stolen in the second day it was a bad sign and a bad start and didn't dispose of money to buy some more. Then i bought another 2 books who sound good in name, and they were way too difficult... i'm not too much of a reader... At the end of the year my number finished books was so embarrasing, that i didn't even published it.

Anyway, this year i'm more excited than last year and i found this book in my mother's library. I'm not going to put a challenge for myself, but i hope to achieve 15 books (that would be a realistic/reachable number for me ), so i'm gonna start reading right now.

First Book:On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Last edited by models_vlada; 06-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.
07-01-2012
front row

01. The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway)
02. Glue (Irvine Welsh)

07-01-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

01: No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
02: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Tags
2012, 50, book, challenge