How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-06-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
Very Canadian English. I grew up all around Toronto.

An American friend told me I say "Eh" a lot. Yes I do! I pronounce Toronto like "Tawrano" and I say "Fur Sure!" instead of "For sure." Hahahah
I say "Tawrano" and "Fur Sure!" too

07-06-2006
Zen
V.I.P.

I live in California, I speak American English, but I must say, the British English is "Hot" . To Joseph, I love your English, English......

08-06-2006
backstage pass

I'm German and all I learned at school was a mixture of both English and American English. additionally I haven't really spent too much time in English - speaking countries yet so I'd say I have a rather strong accent. as a matter of fact, I have been called 'Arnold' already
as for accents I like best, I think most English ones are quite amazing. Scottish ones rock as well in my opinion. American ones are great, too.
I love accents in general...as long as they don't resemble certain governors.

09-06-2006
front row

American English (some Ebonics). I'm from the Midwest (Chicago) but my mother was from the South (Arkansas). I've been told by other Americans that I sound "country" and I've been told by foreigners [Germans and British]that I speak with a "southern drawl". My daughter's father is from Peterborough, England. He says I sound "urban".

16-10-2006
rising star

I speak Australian English, but a bit of an american and british accent thrown in sometimes... from a lifetime of watching too much TV. I also have a tendency to accidentally add in half sentences of cantonese when I'm in stressful situation, simply because my brain processing power is not up to speed....

22-11-2006
tfs star

I've noticed that sometimes some British words are easier to pronounce...
elevator is too hard to say, so I say lift
and other British words, but mostly I speak American English because it's the English I hear all the time....
and I have a weird Franco-American accent...

front row

Mostly I speak American English, but because I spent parts of my childhood in the UK, France, and Japan, I have a weird mix. I was born in the Southwest US, (viva Santa fe!!!). Usually, if I mention SW, people automatically think, Texas! but, not only in accent, but loudness, we do not sound like Texans. (No offence to the nice Texans, I know there are some out there. But most of the tourists from Texas we get here, are so loud, you just want to get away from them). Of course, when you're at home you don't notice your family/friends accent. When I was young though, people would always say I had a strange accent, but could never recognize where it was from. People say we have a sing-song way of speaking, and that we draw out our vowels. Also there are Spanish, and American Indian influences. So, my basic accent is northern New Mexican, with some Spanglish, some UK english, with some French and Japanese words as well. Someone said that they pronounce things in a more UK way, because its easier for them, I find that I did that as well, because I had a slight lisp, it was easier for some things, when I was young, and now its just built in. For the most part, I guess I like my accent. Whenever I'm in the UK, I never get the 'Yank' title, I guess because its not easily recognizable, like the New York accent, people don't quite know what to make of it. I do think that when you're young, a strong accent can be awkward, and sometimes, you try to hide it a little. I think I did that some, because it made me stand out less, mostly in the situations where I was the only white kid, I would try to hide any UK english, or French, because no other children spoke like that. It took me awhile to realize that, for the most part, people didn't really care at all. So, I guess, really, be proud of whatever accents you have, they make you special. Personally, the various accents of the British Isles are especially dear to me, and I really cannot resist a man with any one of them.

22-11-2006
V.I.P.

Straight up American-English! Even in my writings (which sound much better than the way I casually type, trust me!), I'm more "American" than English. I'm from the Southwest US which is the only place that doesn't have a distinct "accent". But I love me some Southern (esp. Texas) accents. I say "ya'll" and "purty"

trendsetter

I live in Canada and most of the time it's english-english, although Alberta is the 'texas' of canada so that kind of loops people around. I also lived in california for 3 years and was caught off gaurd by the culture shock i experienced [although it's lovely there!].

23-11-2006
V.I.P.

^Why were you in shock? American English is soooo slang-based. I was thinking about it, and I realized that most of my conversations with friends have probably over 60% slang words in them. And we make up new ones everyday

tea time

i speak and write English English although watching all those american soaps does have me saying trash instead of rubbish sometimes and leaves me cringing.

although you can always find me throwing some local dialect in too for good measure theres nothing better than confusing people with some odd geordie words now and again.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
27-11-2006
trendsetter

I speak English English and pronounce 'mall' as 'shopping centre'.

In my lame attempt to be cool, I occasionaly have a stab at saying 'y'all', but then people tend to laugh at me.

A champagne supernova in the sky
02-12-2006
scenester

I love English English! I've been told i can fake a pretty good English accent...by an English person that i fooled and said I was from London. LOL.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky star
Mostly I speak American English, but because I spent parts of my childhood in the UK, France, and Japan, I have a weird mix. I was born in the Southwest US, (viva Santa fe!!!). Usually, if I mention SW, people automatically think, Texas! but, not only in accent, but loudness, we do not sound like Texans. (No offence to the nice Texans, I know there are some out there. But most of the tourists from Texas we get here, are so loud, you just want to get away from them).
We nice Texans like to scatter around the tourist brochures so we can get a break from those folks, the ones my grandmother calls "rough as a cob"

06-12-2006
V.I.P.

I love the way Texans speak! It's so loud and funny. Texas is basically it's own separate country, and you can tell because Texas accents are much different than other Southern accents

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, english, english or english