How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2006
V.I.P.

I speak (which I hardly ever do) and write English English, although sometimes I accidentally throw in an American English pronunciation.

07-12-2006
scenester

For me, it's a long story. I get asked all the time where my accent is from. I was born and raised in West Virginia, where it is southern American with a good sprinkling of archaic English English words and expressions. But I was the perfect age, 13, when Beatlemania arrived, so for two of my teen years, I spoke with my own approximation of a Liverpudlian accent. Later I moved to NYC and spent 20 years there, more or less, adding bits of yiddish, brooklyn, and bronx. The "less" (of the more or less) was two years spent in Krakow, Poland, where I adjusted some of my pronunciations and arrangements of words in sentences to be better understood by Poles. Then back to NYC a bit, and now a year and a half in the UK where I swear I will never ever learn to call a fillet steak a FILLette.

13-12-2006
trendsetter

I speak English English and I used to be all 'wotevar' and pronounce t's but now I sometimes dont. So I think my accents changed, but people still think I sound 'posh', for some reason. I say american things like 'totally' and 'like', but I want to stop

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, english, english or english