How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 26 2004, 03:09 PM
I speak American English, New Yawk English to be exact.....that just means I add the occasional W to words that don't usually have them.

I actually don't really like one English better then the other but I do hate the slang some Americans come up with, but the English have slang too so I guess it's pretty balanced.
[snapback]346227[/snapback]
loves that accent.

I speak Canadian English.

26-08-2004
ingenue

Quote:
Originally posted by saad@Aug 26 2004, 06:50 PM
the trophy goes to he/she who can understnad the thick northern scottish english
[snapback]346507[/snapback]
I live amongst them 70% of the year, I have no choice but to understand it. but sometimes I just smile and nod.

I speak a mix of american english and english english. when I'm at home I pronounce things the american way for the most part even though it's getting harder to do it unconsciously. when I am in a restaurant and order something like tomato basil soup, I almost certainly get a "you mean...to-may-to bay-sil?"
when I'm at uni I pronounce many things the english way (especially in academic settings), though some things just sound idiotic with my american dialect, such as "can't" with a long a. these days I just go with the flow and let the influences take place naturally - it's too much trouble for me to try to adapt just to fit in.

26-08-2004
fashion icon

All my education was in British english and France french in Europe.

I only went to school in North America for 3 years and that was for my bachelors degree.

My dad is also happens to be a Brit.

I have a British/French (from france not Quebec) accent.

People say they like my accent

North American guys go crazy for girls with accents.

26-08-2004
V.I.P.

My first language is French, and no, not pure and sexy French from France, but a "Quebec" accent. Though it's not that strong. My French is just normal.

Second language is English, though I almost never use it since most people I know speak French. My English is OK, though some people seriously piss me off when they attempt to correct my English accent for certain words like the "o" in "globalisation" and "political". Anyways, I had something else to add, but just forgot, so nevermind.

26-08-2004
trendsetter

American Southern English. Its not really that bad but I say ya'll a lot. And I talk pretty slow I guess. I went to Minnasotta last summer to visit a friend and all her friends thought it was so funny how slow I talked.

Its funny to me that they pronounce bag "bee-ig" and say pop instead of soda..

26-08-2004
backstage pass

I speak American English. I'm from Massachusetts but I don't have the ridiculous accent....as in I don't pronounce things like "I pahked the cah in Hahvahd Yahd and gave the guahd a quatah!" (I parked the car in Harvard Yard and gave the guard a quarter) But when I went to France a bunch of people could tell by my accent I was from the Northeast. Perhaps it was just the lack of southern accent??

I like all the Massachusetts terms though. Such as :

Wicked good / awesome
Pisser (but pronounced pissahhhhhh, usually, and means awesome)
Bang a left (instead of turn left)
Bubbler (water fountain)

There's lots of others...see them here http://www.boston-online.com/glossary.htm

27-08-2004
princely

i speak canadian english..sounds like american but a few words are diff..and grammar and stuff is different

ie..
route ...- rahh out (canadian) root(american)
pop instead of soda(my american cousins laughed at me for that)
highway instead of freeway
colour is spelt color in american
i cant think of what else right now..

27-08-2004
fashion elite

I speak Malaysian English. If you've come here before..well..it's something to laugh at when we yak on in broken English

princely

Quote:
Originally posted by prixi@Aug 27 2004, 01:16 AM
I speak Malaysian English. If you've come here before..well..it's something to laugh at when we yak on in broken English
[snapback]346749[/snapback]
lol malaysian english! my parents speak that..they cant pronounce trevor..instead they say trevllleee because of the r's..and boooshitting instead of bullshitting.

27-08-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

saying/spelling a few words differently doesn't mean we have a whole different dialect. I think canadians just want to say that to differentiate themselves. Also, how does california have it's own accent? Last time I checked they spoke what i like to call 'normal'....

and the Queen can suck it as far as I'm concerned...

27-08-2004
etre soi-meme

ohh how i love the scottish accent

27-08-2004
Fierce Flava

I'm A Californian so I got that type of English...mixed in with Brit speak because of Tempest...my pronounciations are getting botched...like I said vitamin the british way and my friends are just like what?

They insisted the walk back from the store to the beach that its [Vy ta min] and not [vit ta min] water.

27-08-2004
tfs star

I have an Australian accent... Not that "G'day Mate, Throw another shrimp on tha barbie?" accent... Just normal haha... I say"maul"

27-08-2004
chaos reigns

I speak american english ... but have to drop my (latino) accent ... I'd rather learn how to speak english-english I may, sometime!

windowshopping

I have a funny accent, it's like a melange of both american and english with a bit of kuwaiti

I was in an English school so most of our teachers were from the UK, so it kind of rubbed on us. We had a Scottish teacher who made us laugh cuz she'd say " C'mon boys and gerraaallls!!" (girls) we weren't used to hearing it this way. But most of the movies/sitcoms I watch are American, so I picked stuff here and there.
Although I'm not used to hearing Aluminium being pronounced aluuminam or herbs -> erbs or almonds-> ahhmonds . . . it doesn't sound right.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, english, english or english