How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2004
within an embrace

I generally speak with a californian-american-english accent, but my family were from British occupied territories, so quite a few of them have a few "british" inflections in their English so I've picked up on that over the years - my grandfather spoke English with a British accent and taught it as well. My mum (I do tend to use certain English-English terms as well) taught herself californian-american-english without any sort of accent, so she sounds almost like me. My dad has a bit of an accent, but that's all right.

27-08-2004
fashion insider

I dont really know which I speak, but I think that its english-english. Because I've studied at British Council and one teacher tod me that I have a good accent.

fashion insider

I live in the South (Va) but my parents are from New Jersey, so I've got a mixture of a Virginia accent ('No' is 'Naw') and a Jersey accent (think 'The Sopranos')

El Capitán

Wow...interesting thread...you all are speaking American-English when I'm reading your posts ...is the reverse true for those that don't speak American-English?

I'm from Southern California and--thanks to the globalization of hollywood-- I speak what most people would consider typical American-English

EDIT: also, i think i say dude about 50 times a day (don't worry, it annoys me too )

27-08-2004
El Capitán

Quote:
Originally posted by CelineChic@Aug 26 2004, 07:18 PM
North American guys go crazy for girls with accents.
[snapback]346561[/snapback]
So true.
Some North American guys go crazy for guys with accents too.

27-08-2004
seagreen serenades

Hiberno-English, until I go online and edit it all out.

27-08-2004
scenester

I speak American English, but I've never been to America. Don't ask.

27-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Aug 27 2004, 07:41 AM
So true.
Some North American guys go crazy for guys with accents too.
[snapback]346890[/snapback]

27-08-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Aug 27 2004, 01:36 AM
ohh how i love the scottish accent
[snapback]346776[/snapback]
Really? I'm Scottish, from Glasgow, and most of my (scottish) friends hate their accents! It sounds so dull compared to others, really monotone, just uninteresting. It can be quite hard to understand, even for me sometimes, esp. when someone comes from the north of Scotland, or the islands, their accents can be really strong.

I find that most American/ Canadian people have a hard time knowing just what I'm saying, which made living in Toronto a bit of a nightmare

In answer to the original post I guess I speak Scottish English

fashion insider

I speak American English, usually without any hint of a regional accent. I do say ya'll a lot, like SCBlondie. You all or all of you sounds too weird.

Rebaptising my badness

English English, though sometimes I use some words and idioms that are more common in American English.

ingenue

Quote:
Originally posted by justpeachy@Aug 27 2004, 04:23 PM
Really? I'm Scottish, from Glasgow, and most of my (scottish) friends hate their accents! It sounds so dull compared to others, really monotone, just uninteresting. It can be quite hard to understand, even for me sometimes, esp. when someone comes from the north of Scotland, or the islands, their accents can be really strong.
[snapback]347270[/snapback]
I love glaswegian accents

27-08-2004
V.I.P.

Canadian English, probably. It's weird, because I just assume that everyone here sounds like everyone around me does. I'm normal and everyone else has accents, right? I have a tiny bit of lisp sometimes too, so maybe that would affect things. Other people are always the strange ones...

27-08-2004
Procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally posted by VainJane@Aug 27 2004, 06:48 AM
a Jersey accent (think 'The Sopranos')
[snapback]346864[/snapback]
We don't all sound like that. I think my accent is fairly "American Standard" (though I'm sure a Californian would tell me otherwise!) There are several accents within NJ, though (not only the stereotypical North Jersey accent, but a Philadelphia-influenced accent in the SW parts of the state).

Also, many teenage girls/young women from 'round these parts have a very distinctive way of speaking...I heard it all the time in college. Imagine a girl talking about her friend Jill and pronouncing it almost like "Jell" (quite nasaly, I guess). Sort of New Jersey valley girl.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
27-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Aug 27 2004, 11:36 AM
ohh how i love the scottish accent
[snapback]346776[/snapback]

youre right!!! plain scottish accent can get pretty cute

im cofident that i have no trouble pronouncing words once i know how theyre pronounced properly....becasue Urdu actually has an alphabet for every sound...and that helps us learn and pronounce other languages/words with ease

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, english, english or english