How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-10-2013
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelscatchfire View Post
But what is up with Queenie and the Minotaur!
Let's hope there are no lingering fertility spells hanging around that greenhouse...

That was the only scene that irritated me, I didn't like her acting. I mean, if you're going to be doing that in front of/with a minotaur, you might as well give it everything you've got, because can there actually be any limit to the absurdity of the moment?

27-10-2013
V.I.P.

^I didn't even think of the fertility spells!

Yea I'm not a fan of her acting with attitude. She's very typecasted.

So I have a question, maybe someone can answer it. How did the minotaur become that way. What I mean is, Lalaurie only placed the head onto the man's body, she didn't fuse it, she isn't a witch so there isn't any spell she could have placed on it. Did Marie Laveau permanently weld him to it? Because it simply could have been removed when she found him

27-10-2013
Stitch:the Hand

^it's a good question and maybe it did have something to do with laveau or the minotaur could have been a curse itself….since we don't know the outside forces.

28-10-2013
backstage pass

^^^ My impression of the Minotaur is that having the bull's head on must of suffocated Bastian to death. It would have to be an extremely tight fit, otherwise how could the head have stayed on...? By the time Marie found him, he was already dead. Her caressing the bull's head was a tad weird-- but she is a Voodoo Priestess (and maybe she thought he looked better with it on?). So, when he was resurrected, we just have to accept that he became a real Minotaur. (You can see his hands had mutated into hoof-like appendages when he was with Queenie.)

Nice body though, no?

Anyway, it's Ryan, so I just sort of accept the sloppy logic and half-baked reasons.

Ryan may be capable of being socially and politically subversive-- and unfortunately in this season so far, he'd rather be bitchy and pulpy. For the ratings, I believe. Fortunately, it is kind of fun.

Women on top and Elektra complex galore; the girls aggressively hitting on the virginal, too-handsome model next door; tough Queenie getting dirty with a beastie... I adore Kathy sobbing and blubbering away hysterically because Obama is president of the United States of America. So endearing and too funny. Kathy's character is adorable and I don't want to see her abused. Who knew?

Anyway, I hope Madison is back, she really has the best Heather-esque lines.

29-10-2013
V.I.P.

^ that's probably the best explanation we are going to get. It also makes sense that it could be a curse because he has turned into a beast now. Ryan did say the Minotaur was this season's bloodyface or leather suit man.

I love some of Madison's lines too!

31-10-2013
V.I.P.

Can we please discuss how Jessica Lange read the council like nobodies business? When she went up to Pimper and then walked away I don't think Ive ever been so amused

31-10-2013
V.I.P.

^ YES! She is fierce this season. I like that we got a bit more back story on her and the butler, Spaulding. I always assumed she was the one that had his tongue cut out. He is very loyal to her.

I knew Madison couldn't be the supreme, she did have a lot of powers but it didn't feel right being her.

The Frankenstein storyline is sad, you can't mess with resurrection, no one comes back exactly as their were.
which leads me to the minotaur!! I wanted Bastian to live, maybe Marie Leveau will bring him back?? Or is it beyond even her abilities now?

02-11-2013
V.I.P.

I think Bastien is alive, at least his head. I think I saw his eyes blink?

04-11-2013
backstage pass

^^^ Yes-- Minotaur is still alive. With the spell/ curse he's under, he can be dismembered, but he'll still blink and wave at you. Him, along with Delphine and Marie, are like Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep in Death Becomes Her.

06-11-2013

this season has a lot going on,no? now we're going to have zombies?? come on!

08-11-2013
backstage pass

Why are you surprised Scott...? It's Ryan: His initial concept may be brimming with good-- even great intentions and potential, but once he gets going and settles in, it's everything and the kitchen sink, camp-galore fest. As that article has accused him of, he just can't seem to help himself with the gayness of it all. I'm sure there will be vampires as an "homage" to Ann Rice, and Patti Lupone will break into song and dance, at some point... Ryan just cannot help his campy himself.

I'm already quickly losing interest. The Council was abysmal; Just straightup cartoony. Where are the neighbors with the zombies ruckus happening right outside their doorstep? Why would the coven just leave a charred corpse in what looked like a quarry? Why didn't the Head Council feel any pain when Queenie was pulling her voodoo-doll on her? And, let's be frank, only in the deepest fantasies of homely and middle-aged hausfraus and aging gay men would a too-handsome Abercrombie & Fitch model be interested in a girl with Downs Syndrome... This show's a total mess already. I do love that Misty just wanders around and shows up at just the right time and the right place to revive the dead, though.

I suppose it could still be fluffy B-movie fun, but it all feels like such a wasted opportunity.

08-11-2013

i agree with you phuel. everything is so all over the place. too many ideas crammed into a single concept and not very much in the way of substance….it feels overly contrived but thoughtless. i could easily forgive the campiness if the stories were better….like last season i overlooked that song and dance nonsense because generally the idea and the culminating story was really strong.

11-11-2013
backstage pass

^^^ Asylum was clever and subversive for the most part, and at its best, it was able to get under my skin for the inhumane afflictions all in the name of morality. Season 1 remains the best for me with its simplicity and sad creepiness of a ghost story. It's when Ryan tries to dip into the social historical aspect of storytelling that he sort of insults us. The lynching of the little boy is such an irresponsible aspect to illicit/ manipulate viewer emotion/ reaction for a fleeting scene with no further investment. Not to mention that this horrendous act was all but non-existent by the 1960s. It's such a hollow, lazy decision to shock and nothing else.

The hype lead by the impeccable promos for Coven was perfection: Stylish, playful, sexy and creepy. Even the inclusion of some brief doc on voodoo and witchcraft seemed to indicate a more darker tone. Oh well, that advertising for you.

On a positive note, every time I see Angela on screen, I actually get excited since she's so lethally and beautifully cool. She's used sparingly, and maybe that's for the better since Ryan would probably turn her into a drag queen if she were in this more...

And Kathy is really endearing to me, and I really like Queenie--who's my fav of all the women. I know she has a very limited range but she has such a presence. I'm glad they refrained from going the usual ghetto-route, or overly empowering/ angry role with a black character. I like how understated she has been. Although I'm already expecting the worst cliche coming from her relationship with Delphine. I guess this is the race-relationship Ryan harped on about.

Still sort of fun if you check your brain, or just common sense at the door. And still hoping Madison makes a comeback...

BTW, can't they smell Madison? She's in the next room, for crying out loud... Do none of these writers realize how strong decomposing bodies stink? I guess the neighbors can't smell that pile of burning zombies either.

11-11-2013

yeah the ads were pretty deceptive in the grand scheme of things.

you know i said it after the first episode that i genuinely hoped a lot of this objectification depictions weren't for pure shock-value as opposed to actually having a perspective. but so far it's mostly been surface. i admit i still really love the presence of jessica,kathy and of course angela's story-lines. i just wish there was more cohesion and like you said,more time invested in certain scenarios. to me it just appears as if ryan can't handle executing very many elements into one storyboard….in the end,you're just left hanging as a viewer so perhaps he should have refined his narrative and concentrated,as he did last season,on those key stories. to be honest,i don't feel like ryan really put a great deal of thought into this season….i guess because of the zealous nature of the concept and the hype soon after…..it just hasn't developed into a whole lot for me.

hehe….that burning corpse scene….all i kept thinking during that scene was,won't the bible thumping mother smell that? good grief.

12-11-2013
backstage pass

^^^ ^^^ Not to mention she hasn't come 'round knocking for her sexy son's absence. And are they even looking for Madison? And I thought it was bad since we never see these 4 girls-- yes, only 4 girls in the "school", ever being taught a single lesson. More like a foster home. Now they're not even bothering to look for one of their missing girls...

With only six(?) more episodes, it would be nice if these writers start having a point soon besides being spoofs of the monster/ horror genre..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, horror, story