How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-06-2004
tfs star

I'm going on vacation in a few days, but I need to do some book-shopping first. So I was hoping some of you might have some recommendations?

Apart from crime and science fiction I'll read just about anything, love biographies, historical and political reading, but I also enjoy the occasional lighter read, like the shopoholic books, Bridget Jones etc.

Favourite author is Charles Bukowski.

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully

27-06-2004
Mannikin

'Light' can mean different things to different people, so I'll risk recommending The Birth of Venus.

In a quick and semi-accurate summarization, it is Da Vinci Code meets Girl With A Pearl Earring. Basically, art and a thriller.

27-06-2004
front row

The Second Assistant
Bergdorf Blondes
In The Skin of a Lion
Geek Love
Searching for Michael Jackon's Nose
She's Come Undone

27-06-2004
rising star

I'm currently reading Dave Eggers compilation, "The Best American Nonrequired Reading."

I has a bunch of essays/articles and whatnot from various authors all from the year of 2001, I believe. A bunch of different interesting stories taken from a variety of resources.

I like it a lot. It's of average size, and each story/essay/article varies in length. Sometimes I hate large books that focus on one story. This keeps me interested and entertained!

28-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caramel@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am
I'm going on vacation in a few days, but I need to do some book-shopping first. So I was hoping some of you might have some recommendations?

Apart from crime and science fiction I'll read just about anything, love biographies, historical and political reading, but I also enjoy the occasional lighter read, like the shopoholic books, Bridget Jones etc.

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully
Hollywood or Post Office by Bukowski!!!

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!!

28-06-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Caramel@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!![/b][/quote]
Ahh, Hollywood is my favourite Bukowski book! One of the few books I've read that really has me laughing out loud! Post Office is good too, although not among my favourites.

And yeah, I read about the documentary in the papers a while ago, so I expect it to be released here too, really looking forward to that! (I'm in Norway btw ).

I did get a couple of books today, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Virgin Suicides

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me

28-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caramel+Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Caramel @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Caramel
Quote:
@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully*

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!!
Ahh, Hollywood is my favourite Bukowski book! One of the few books I've read that really has me laughing out loud! Post Office is good too, although not among my favourites.

And yeah, I read about the documentary in the papers a while ago, so I expect it to be released here too, really looking forward to that! (I'm in Norway btw ).

I did get a couple of books today, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Virgin Suicides

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me [/b][/quote]
Norway, oops, my bad!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is an incredible, powerful book (have you noticed my signature, by the way ?). Let me know what you think about it. What language will you be reading that in? Did you know that Robert Pirsig moved to Sweden when he got famous?

P.S. If you like Bukowski, I defintitely recommend Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". That book is deep but at the same time you will laugh your a$$ off.

28-06-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Caramel@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Caramel
Quote:
Quote:
@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully*

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me
Norway, oops, my bad!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is an incredible, powerful book (have you noticed my signature, by the way ?). Let me know what you think about it. What language will you be reading that in? Did you know that Robert Pirsig moved to Sweden when he got famous?

P.S. If you like Bukowski, I defintitely recommend Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". That book is deep but at the same time you will laugh your a$$ off.[/b][/quote]
That's so weird, I was actually holding Fear and Loathing in my hand, but then I picked Zen instead It will definitely be next on my list

Oh, and I'll be reading it in English.

28-06-2004
V.I.P.

I just finished " How They Met" by Joey Green. It's about how famous people down through history met each other and a few odds and ends about them. For example: Stanley and Livingston, Napoleon and Josephine, Bill Gates and Paul Allen etc. etc etc. It's a nice read a little, put down, come back read a little more kind of book.

28-06-2004
backstage pass

I would recommend anything by Jeffrey Archer, he is a fantastic storyteller, his books are great reads!

For a first, you may want to try his short story collections "A Quiver Full of Arrows" and "Twelve Red Herrings"

29-06-2004
stories everywhere

hmm... maybe you'd like something by Marian Keyes

I loved Last Chance Saloon and Sushi for Beginners.
both excellent travel books.

V.I.P.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/u...agoodsummerread

These two sound like fun.

29-06-2004
trendsetter

Fast Food Nation & the books by Michael Moore

29-06-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by étoiledunord@Jun 29th, 2004 - 6:57 am
Fast Food Nation & the books by Michael Moore