How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2012
fashion elite

Never read Flowers for Algernon before.
Finally read it. I loved it. It was amazing.
I'd recommend it to everyone! Very easy and fast read, but it will knock your socks off. Can't believe I'm only discovering it at age 29.
4.5/5

23-11-2012
V.I.P.

"where there´s smoke" - Simone Beckett.

I have a bookhangover now.
to me it was such kind of book where you can´t start a new one right away.
And I am sad the book is over.

It´s compelling. I couldn´t stop reading. Went down to the wire.
It was thrilling from the first page.

I recommend the book. If you like thriller. I liked his other books (only read "Fine Lines" and "owning Jacob"), too.

Last edited by myown; 23-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.
30-12-2012
fashion elite

I recommend Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn to everyone. Best book I read in 2012. I don't want to say too much, because this is a book you should read without knowing much at all.

It's a thriller, and it's 50% from the point of view of a man, and 50% from the point of view of his wife. It's the definition of a page turner. I loved it. Can't say enough good things about it. Try it.

5 out of 5 stars!

02-01-2013
girl who fell to earth

^^thanks so much for the review!! I've been hesitating to buy Gone Girl though I feel like it keeps getting recommended to me on amazon etc and I see that it's been a popular choice this year...

I read Gillian Flynn's other novel, Sharp Objects and enjoyed it (I think), just didn't feel it lived up to the hype at the time (hence my hesitation with Gone Girl)

But I am determined to read it at some point!
My co-worker just bought it, so I'm interested in hearing what she thinks about it as well.

02-01-2013
fashion elite

Without a doubt my favourite book this year, I was very impressed (though I only read 9 total ) haven't read her first two books but I went out and bought them after GG.

Would love to hear what you think after you read it

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

Has anyone else read the new JK Rowling book A Casual Vacancy??

I'm curious to know what you guys think about it cuz i'm kinda.. um.. conflicted

05-01-2013
fashion elite

I'd love to hear what people thought too! Unfortunately I haven't read it. The more reviews the better, people!

What about The Marriage Plot? Anyone? I'm always looking for books to try. My favourite is modern-day based fiction. And always looking for funny books.

Does anyone think I should bother trying 50 Shades of Grey? The passages I've tried sound trite and unintelligent... but there's just so much hype I'm curious. (I've read the reviews in this thread already )

05-01-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint condish View Post
I'd love to hear what people thought too! Unfortunately I haven't read it. The more reviews the better, people!

What about The Marriage Plot? Anyone? I'm always looking for books to try. My favourite is modern-day based fiction. And always looking for funny books.

Does anyone think I should bother trying 50 Shades of Grey? The passages I've tried sound trite and unintelligent... but there's just so much hype I'm curious. (I've read the reviews in this thread already )
My cousin gave me The Marriage Plot last Easter. I've read like 50 pages but I guess it was hmmm... let's say I expected something more. Let's say it wasn't close to being a nice read. I just felt unconfortable reading it. It felt like the author tries too hard. But who knows maybe one day I'll get my nerves together and I'll be able to read it.

About 50 shades of grey I know it's a piece of **** , I know it's a dirty fan fiction, i know it was written for wives in their 40's who need something new, I've read 100 reviews (including opinions of some guys here on tfs), but EVERYONE, literally, everyone arround me is reading it. All my friends are reading it, all my colegues, even my teachers and random people in a law office. I even was stuck in a traffic jam once and a girl in car near mine was reading it. I was like WTF?
The curiosity killed the cat. The curiosity is slowly eating me inside. If it's that bad why everyone keeps reading it??? I just don't understand. So who knows I've told everyone I'm not even reading that because well, because I have my reasons but as the series gets more popular I just don't know if I'm able to keep my word.

05-01-2013
fashion elite

I'm in the exact same place EVERYONE is reading it! All the women in my office, the women on the subway, GEEZ!!!!!! It's like as a woman I don't exist if I'm not part of this sick book club too!

Thank you for your review of The Marriage Plot!

06-01-2013
backstage pass

Yeps 50 shades of grey is everywhere...i just do not wanna read it because everyone is reading it. And i just hate poorly written books. One woman named 50 shades of grey trilogy the best books That she did read on 2012.what the f**k?!?

I love to talk about books and i love to read reviews but i suck writing them. Need to shape on That a little bit since i have read like 10 in last two months. Hahha.

Last edited by Alma Kemp; 06-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.
07-01-2013
backstage pass

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I gave it 4 points of 5.
It was far from being as great as I expected it to be, though it was very captivating and way too fast moving. Overall I think I liked it, except for the end. There was a sentence when Nick said there would be two teams, team Nick and team Amy. I was team Andi. She was the only adequate character through the whole book.
It was amazingly written (rare thing these days) and desearves 5 points for that. I discoverd a new really amazing author and looking forward to read other two books.

08-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ hmm thanks for the review, I've seen a lot of people reading that book, I might check it out.

I love your 50 Shades of Gray rant, I do see it everywhere too but not nearly as much as you. I don't think I'm ever going to read that book, it may not even live up to the hype.

09-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint condish View Post
Well in my opinion, I think the first book of the series is quite good... The second and third ones are kinda plain and I don't know--too pretenious and unnecessary. The first book is mainly about the immense attraction between Anna and Christian... and how he chased her around. It's kinda fun actually. Wouldn't recommend you to read the second and third ones unless you like the first book
Posted via Mobile Device

12-01-2013
fashion icon

^ I agree. The first one isn't so bad. It's entertaining, but definitely not a book that makes you 'think.' The other two are just total pieces of sh*t.

Gone Girl was really well-written. It kept me on my toes the whole time, but the ending was a total letdown in that it just felt so rushed. Big things happened without adequate explanations and not enough detail. It's like the author felt her book was too long, so she had to rush the ending without giving it as much thought and detail as she did the rest of the book. Otherwise it was pretty good. I finished it thinking all the characters were batsh*t crazy and f*cked up, but that's a good thing. I was getting tired of reading all these books with all these perfect characters. The characters in Gone Girl had many layers and were very interesting. You have to keep reading to really figure out who these characters really are deep down.

12-01-2013
fashion elite

Thank you and karma for your thoughts, both of you ^ ^

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
book, reviews