How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-01-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
can't wait to read that B!
it's one of the books that's stacked next to my bed so it will definitely be one of the next books i read
I can't wait to hear what you think! While reading it played out beautifully in my mind, I expect they will make a film of it in the future, I just hope they don't wreck it!

15-01-2011
Not Thinking About Time

Just Kids by Patti Smith

pic paste.com
So I started with some rudimentary knowledge about Robert Mapplethorpe and Patti Smith. I knew about their work but not their relation beyond the basics that they lived together and Robert took photos. Her writing style is fantastic very flowing the story moves at a quick pace. It keeps you engaged all the way through. Also the added images are very helpful, it captures the setting of them very well. I was surprised by how it was unlike any other autobiographies that I have read especially musicians autobiographies (I have read a lot of them by the way ). I don't want to spoil anyone who knows nothing about them so I am not going to summarize to much. Even if you know nothing about music or 60s/70s New York it is still a wonderful book it will intrigue you further into that time period as well. If you don't know anything about Andy Warhol's factory, beat poets or various other people of the time you might want to have Google at the ready. Highly Recommended
★★★★★/✫✫✫✫✫

Portfolio Last FM
16-01-2011
girl who fell to earth

^^sophia i think my review would actually be much the same as yours :p

loved the book... and would definitely give it 5/5 and recommend it to everyone...
especially to admirers of patti's and robert's work...
so great to get the back story and to hear about all the incredible people that they were surrounded by

they definitely epitomized the phrase "struggiing/starving artist" but the autobiography is so much more than that and patti's skill as a writer truly elevates the book...
you can tell that these are her own heartfelt words and that this wasn't dictated to some ghostwriter.

16-01-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
it was sad to see every hope and dream of the family get crushed and yet out of poverty and despair the characters grew so much stronger and believed in humanity until the last page of the book.
just finished the grapes of wrath too, finally. and i think that quote sums up my feelings for the book too =) it literally lasted until the last words of the book, it amazed me.

fashion insider

^ I agree. The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books. The ending made me tear up but I tried my best to hold back to the tears since I was reading the book on the train.

All these reviews have been great. I've got even more books to add to my reading list now.

fashion insider

source: darebinlibraries.vic.gov.au

A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi

This book is about a middle aged American woman who decides to move to Venice to marry a Venetian man she barely knows. The book is a true story and mainly focuses on the protagonist's move to Venice, preparing for her wedding and adjusting to a new country. It is not a difficult read but I didn't enjoy the book and found it difficult to become interested in the story. The author uses an overly descriptive style of writing which I found rather boring and tedious to read and so even though a lot is being written nothing is really being said.

Last edited by Ziegfeld Girl; 17-01-2011 at 04:20 AM.
17-01-2011
fashion insider

source: bookdepository.com
Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes

This was a light and easy read that I quite enjoyed. The author and her partner buy an old villa in the Tuscan town of Cortona in the early 1990s. The book describes the following years of restoring and renovating the villa and living in Italy during summer and Christmas. What I liked most about the book was Mayes account of living in a small Tuscan town and how that compares to living in a big city in the US.

fashion insider

source: australiatoitaly.blogspot.com

See Naples and Die by Penelope Green

This is the second book in a three book series about the author's decision to leave Australia and move to Italy. After living in Rome for a few years to author is offered a full time journalist job in Naples. The book focuses on Green's life in Naples and in particular the history and culture of Naples and how it differs from other Italian cities. The influence of the Camorra makes up a large portion of the book and Green talks to the locals and public officials to try to get a true picture and better understanding of the city. I liked the book and it was very easy and quick to read. I'd recommend the book to those wanting a non-glamorised account of living in Italy as a foreigner with a bit of social commentary thrown in or those who have an interest in Naples.

fashion icon

Amazon.com

The Faith Club by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver, and Priscilla Warner

This book tells the story of three women of different religions; Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. It tells their story of forming a faith club soon after 9/11 to better understand one another religions and their own religions too. All three women felt that they needed a place where they could talk about g-d, the stereotypes of their religion, and finding their place in America well also practicing their faith. I really enjoyed this book and the message which it presents. In the book the authors stress that more people should create faith clubs in order to truly understand one another, for without understanding their can be no peace. I read this book for the faith club which I'm starting at school, but honestly, I would have read it even if it wasn't assigned to me because its such a fascinating subject and one which I think is highly important to understand.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 17-01-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Spelling error
18-01-2011
V.I.P.

LIMIT // Frank Schätzing
★★★☆☆

OVERVIEW/ This 1300 page story is very complex and multidimensional, at first there are two seperate storylines that begin to intertwine after about 750 pages. It is set in the year 2025, when the extraction of helium-3 on the moon takes over the energy market and oil is starting to become obsolete. The most influential person is Julian Orley, who built an "elevator" to a geostationary satellite, from where a shuttle takes visitors to the moon, more specifically to his new lunar hotel "Gaia". While he takes a group of important & very influential billionairs (to make them invest in his business) as the first ever guests to this spectacular place, a threat of nuklear dimensions is made against him and/or his building, which leads to a wild chase from Shanghai to London between the criminals and cyber-detective Owen Jericho (who somewhat involuntarily becomes involved in all this).

EXPERIENCE/ While the story and futuristic setting are very exciting and interesting, it is sometimes hard to keep track of what happens and how the backstory or certain happenings in the past are connected. He describes a lot of (true) historic facts and background information that is really well researched, but he could have cut a few hundred pages in my opinion.
His descriptions are very detailed, be it of the surface of the moon or the traffic situation in Shanghai or the dimensions and looks of the space station, and sometimes I didn't quite get the image.

DIFFICULTY/ I read it in German (my mother tongue), so the language obviously wasn't the problem but as mentioned above he sometime confused me with his complicated descriptions. The most difficult part would be to not be discouraged by the sheer volume though, since the climax of the story only starts to build up after about 850 pages.

CONCLUSION/ For everyone who doesn't mind a huge book and fans of futuristic stories with a little interest in history and the energy industry

(naanoo.com)

Last edited by kate_is_goddess; 18-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.
20-01-2011
fashion insider

source:fantasticfiction.co.uk

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho

I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a story of a stranger who goes to a small village and makes a proposition to the villagers. The response and actions of the villagers is to help the stranger answer the question if humans are inherently good or evil. This formed the central question and theme of the book. It was a very interesting read that also explored the ideas of temptation and fear. I would recommend the book to everyone but particularly to those that enjoy philosophical novels and morality tales. Since the book poses so many questions to the reader and explores a number of themes and ideas I think this would make a good novel for a book group.

V.I.P.

The Winner stands alone by Paolo Coelho

Not one of his best books, it didn't even look like Paolo wrote it.
But it gives a different and worse look on the whole "VIP" and models world.

21-01-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank [3/5]

I'm often disappointed by post-apocalyptic books written pre-21st century because although they retain a lot of old world charm, they don't really capture the mood or feel of a post-apocalyptic world that I could possibly relate to. Having said that, 'Alas, Babylon' was an interesting read. Despite the obvious 1950's mentality (including racial segregation and lines about how much women need men, after the men return from hunting to find the women sobbing over a goldfish ), the story still carried itself pretty well to a new generation. The actual bombing event was interesting, and then seeing how the town reacted afterwards seemed pretty realistic also. I did enjoy the book, and managed to get through it pretty quickly.

Recommended for: Those interested in a non-action based tale of a small American town surviving in a post-apocalyptic world after a nuclear event.

cover source: bookdepository.co.uk

Last edited by Belowen; 21-01-2011 at 07:04 AM.
22-01-2011
V.I.P.

Torment by Lauren Kate

Quite twilightish, but interesting nevertheless.
Angels, demons, humans.

26-01-2011
V.I.P.

LULLABY // Chuck Palahniuk
★★★☆☆

A typical Palahniuk novel- not my favourite though. The story is crazy & a little on the strange side (like all of his stories). He uses some literary styles a lot, e.g. the repetition of catchphrases; which is kind of his style I suppose, but it gets boring after a while.
It's a very quick read though and the language is not very complicated.

I can recommend it for everyone who's a fan of his work or who likes stories that are unusual and not too realistic.

(floiminter.net)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
book, reviews