How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2011
girl who fell to earth

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

bookcoverarchive.com

[4/5]

If you haven't heard of it, this book is about Joan Didion's experiences in the year following the death of her husband of nearly 40 years, John Dunne. He died on December 30, 2003 while their daughter, Quintana was 5 days into a long hospital stay in which she was comatose. So, not only was her daughter extremely ill, but her husband died and then she had to tell the daughter when she eventually woke up. Kind of heart-wrenching to read about all that she went through in that year. But, I think she did a really great job of describing her emotions and the process of grief and mourning, and what someone who loses a husband/child etc goes through, especially in the first year after the death. I would recommend it to anyone who ever lost someone (doesn't make you feel like the only one who has ever had crazy or irrational thoughts), or anyone who is just interested in how we cope with things like death and illness. I'm not sure I really love her writing style, but it was still a good read.

13-05-2011
V.I.P.

^ thanks for the great review; that book is a classic in the creative non-fiction genre.

I recently finished "Winter's Bone" and it is every bit as brilliant as the film in terms of setting and character development. The book really captures the winter elements more effectively however. And the character of Ree Dolly (played amazingly in the film by Jennifer Lawrence) is even more roundly developed in the book. The prose is almost poetic at times and yet the subject matter (poverty, meth labs, murder) is harsh; this juxtaposition is jarring at first, and then it becomes hypnotic. I really cared for the Dolly family. I recommend this book highly. And the film too! I saw the film first actually.

I am presently reading "An Education" and plan to watch the film right after.

27-05-2011
front row

Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
4.5/5

futuratronics.blogspot.com

The similarities of this book (written in 1932) to today's world are spooky. The novel is set in a future in which humans are produced industrially in artificial hatcheries, resulting in a new humanity educated so that each individual has a specific function. Poverty, war and old age have been eliminated resulting in a happy humanity who do not know art, literature, religion or philosophy, giving up their individual freedoms and losing all sense of humanity. Although the novel takes place in a utopian world, read it is a good exercise to reflect and realize where we are headed as humanity.

28-05-2011
fashion elite

^ Cool! I just bought it.

03-06-2011
fashion insider

Hmm... idk if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know a good gay romance book? The only one I know is A Single Man...
Is there like a rlly famous all-time gay romance book that is a must?

thanks

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

^no idea, the only gay romance i can think of is "Brokeback Mountain"

but here is a list with books of the genre 'gay books' and on the side you can see "more lists" with even more. hope this is at least a little help

03-06-2011
scenester

perhaps not exactly a romance but 'Kiss of the Spider Woman' might be of interest

fashion elite

A little while back, I tried to read The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell about Carrie Bradshaw's misadventures in high school. I got kind of bored and put it down.

I recently bought Summer and the City, about Carrie Bradshaw's adventures in New York City when she moves there for a summer when she's about eighteen years old. She meets Samantha and Miranda! I'm really enjoying it so far It's really readable and fun! I recommend.

Last edited by mint condish; 05-06-2011 at 08:56 PM.
29-06-2011
front row

The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart
3.7/5

wired.com

I have to admit that I only buy this book for the cover, and the end result was . It's a book full of cliches (orphan kid, wise old man, faithful friends) that I imagine, came after the success of Harry Potter.

Basically it's a group of children with high intellectual qualities that must work together within a school, and try to discover the evil plans of the director (who tries to control the world). Leaving aside the cliches, the reading is amusingly unpredictable, full of riddles and mysteries, there are 2 more books in the series but I don't think I'm gonna read them.

13-07-2011
V.I.P.

roccoart.blogspot.com

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

I recently finished the last book in the series and i gotta say, it was a struggle. i've read some bad books, but Riordan is definitely one of the worst writers i ever got across. not once in the series i got anxious, excited or worried about the characters, there was barely any character development, no chemistry between the characters and i couldn't connect to and start to care about any of the characters (including Percy). all of the books started the same with them meeting at the camp and all of a sudden they only had 5 days for some stupid task and then one little fight after the other happened, this way you never get to really see the characters interact on a normal basis (like you can see the Potter characters grow up in front of your eyes) and there was no real buildup. overall they just felt way too soulless, structured and predictable.

1-2 stars out of 5

14-07-2011
tfs star

Nervous Conditions by Tsisti Dangaremba is about the effects of colonization in an "independent" Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia). The language is so intoxicating. I really love how it's written more than anything else, which is saying something because the story is pretty good as well. It starts off with "I was not sad when my brother died." That's the first line of the book, so I don't think it's really a spoiler. But it's really good and really hearbreaking. Especially the end. These two girls are exploited and broken (in very different ways) not just by the men in their lives but by colonization as well even though they were born well after Zimbabwe gained its independence. Loved it. A-

15-07-2011
Looking Up

Has anyone read "The Day of the Locust"? Can someone review it for me please? But without ruining it before I read it lol Thanks!

15-07-2011
Looking Up

"Letters from the Inside" by John Marsden 5/5

goodreads.com

Directed at a more adolescent audience, "Letters From the Inside" is about a continuous exchange of letters between high school aged Mandy and Tracey who both begin to discover each other and themselves through each others writing. Each girl hides a worrying secret, only one of which we are confronted with.

What makes the book so engaging is not what it tells, but what it doesn't tell. It proves that there are always multiple layers in any text, even in what appears to be a harmless exchange of teenage-written letters. The story leaves huge room for personal imagination and interpretation, so there are literally hundreds of ways in which you could interpret this text. The absence of a narrator forces the reader to use the only resource available: the letters - which are truthful but also deceiving at the same time.

Highly recommended for everyone.

Last edited by Squizree; 15-07-2011 at 10:07 AM.
18-07-2011
the echo of silence.

The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Horseman.

towers.com
The first book of the heartbreaking trilogy is truly epic. The story is set in 1941, during ww2 and takes you deep into the Leningrad siege, telling the tragically endearing love story of a young girl named Tatiana and a Red Army officer with a secret that threatens his existence, Alexander. They both endure the tragedies of the cruel war, loss, hunger, and the pain that their love brings to those closest to them and themselves. A beautiful novel to lose yourself in, only to find your self completely intact with raw feeling. Highly recommended.

25-07-2011
V.I.P.

filmirulla.blogspot.com

Life Of Pi by Yann Martel

Seriously, this book is amazing!
well written and great storyline.
When I started to read this book
I could not put it down.
I laughed so much and
I cried so much while reading this.
And after finishing this wonderful book
I couldn´t start new book for a week
because I tough so much about this
story afterwards.
This is a book that everyone should read.

I will give this 10/10
YESSS, this was perfect book!!!!!

Oh, and Ang Lee is making movie from this.
I hope he will not fu*k it up.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
book, reviews