How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2006
V.I.P.

What a huge honor for Zhang. I'm caught in the middle of feeling happy for her and also feeling a bit confounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo/AFP
Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi to join Cannes jury

Sat Apr 15, 1:25 AM ET
BEIJING (AFP) - Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi says she has accepted an invitation to be a jury member at the Cannes film festival in France next month.

"I'm anticipating taking up the post and it would be an honor," Zhang was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency at a press conference on Friday in Beijing, where she was promoting her new movie "Jasmine Women".

Organisers of the Cannes festival, set to take place in the upscale southern French resort from May 17-28, have not officially announced the names of the jury members.

"I hope to use my influence to make more Chinese movies, if I simply want to make money, I can do that in the United States," she told reporters, according to Xinhua.

The 27-year-old Zhang has won wide acclaim for performances in movies such as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "House of Flying Daggers" and "Memoirs of a Geisha".

Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai has been named to head the jury at the prestigious film festival, the first time that the honor has been awarded to a Chinese film-maker.

Xinhua said this would be the first time that two Chinese nationals are on the Cannes jury.

15-04-2006
V.I.P.

yes!

20-04-2006
front row

19 Films To Compete for Palme D'Or
Richard Kelly's Southland Tales, Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette, and Alejandro González Iñárritu's Babel are among 19 films chosen to compete for the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, festival organizers announced today (Thursday). Kelly's Tales, which takes place two years in the future, features a large cast that includes The Rock, Seann William Scott, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Mandy Moore, Miranda Richardson and Kevin Smith. Marie-Antoinette stars Kirsten Dunst, Jason Schwartzman, Rip Torn, and Judy Davis. Iñárritu's Babel, stars Cate Blanchett, Brad Pitt, and Gael Garcia Bernal. Also included in the competition are: Richard Linklater's Fast Food Nation; Ken Loach's The Wind that Shakes the Barley; Pedro Almodóvar's Volver, and Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth.

Copied from www.imdb.com

21-04-2006
fashion elite

I think it'll be between Volver which is excellent and Almodovar is always praised in Europe, Babel(Iñarritu won with Amores Perros) and Pan's labyrinth focuses in Spanish Civil War and post-war, that looks really interesting.I don't know what to think about Marie Antoinette

V.I.P.

The Official Line-up of the Cannes Film Festival
From the Los Angeles Times

Opening Film
"The Da Vinci Code" (Ron Howard) (out of competition)

Closing Film
"Transylvania" (Tony Gatlif) (out of competition)

In Competition
"Flandres" (Bruno Dumont)
"Selon Charlie" (Nicole Garcia)
"Quand j'etais Chaunteur" (When I Was a Singer) (Xavier Giannoli)
"Volver" (Pedro Almodovar)
"Red Road" (Andrea Arnold)
"La Raison du Plus Faible" (Lucas Belvaux)
"Indigenes" (Days of Glory) (Rachid Bouchareb)
"Iklimer" (Climates) (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
"Marie Antoinette" (Sofia Coppola)
"Juventude em Marcha" (Pedro Costa)
"Pan's Labyrinth" (Guillermo Del Toro)
"Babel" (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)
"Lights in the Dusk" (Aki Kaurismaki)
"Southland Tales" (Richard Kelly)
"Fast Food Nation" (Richard Linklater)
"The Wind That Shakes the Barley" (Ken Loach)
"Summer Palace" (Lou Ye)
"The Caiman" (Nanni Moretti)
"L'Amico del Famiglia" (Paolo Sorrentino)

Official selection: Out Of Competition special screenings
"United 93" (Paul Greengrass)
"X-Men 3: The Last Stand" (Brett Ratner)
"Over the Hedge" (Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick)

Official selection: Midnight screenings
"Shortbus" (John Cameron Mitchell)
"Election 2" (Johnnie To)
"Silk" (Su Chao-pin)
"Salle" (Bunuel) (Out of competition)
"Volevo Solo Vivere" (Mimo Calopresti)
"Boffo: Tinsel Town's Bombs and Blockbusters" (Bill Couturie)
"An Inconvenient Truth" (Davis Guggenheim)
"Zidane, Un Portrait du 21eme Siecle" (Phillipe Parreno, Douglas Gordon)
"El-Banate Dol" (Tahani Rached)
"Bamako" (Abderrahmane Sissako)
"Avida" (Benoit Delepine)
"Ici Najac, a Vous la Terre" (Jean-Henri Meunier)

Un Certain Regard
Opening film

"Paris Je T'Aime"

"Bled Number One," Rabah Ameur-Zaimeche
"Il Registra Di Matrimoni," Marco Bellocchio
"Cronica De Una Fuga," Israel Adrian Caetano
"Ten Canoes," Rolf De Heer
"Hamaca Paraguaya," Paz Encina, (first film)
"Uro," Stefan Faldbakken (first film)
"Suburban Mayhem," Paul Goldman
"Z Odzysku," Slawomir Fabicki (first film)
"Salvador Puig Antich," Manuel Huerga
"977," Nikolay Khomeriki (first film)
"Cum Mi-Am Petrecut Sfarsiful Lumii," Catalin Mitulescu (first film)
"Serambi," Garin Nugroho
"Taxidermie," Gyorgy Palfi
"Gwai Wik," Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang
"Bihisht Faqat Baroi Murdagon," Djamshed Usmonov
"El Violon," Francisco Vargas (first film)
"You Am I," Kristijonas Vildziunas
"Luxury Car," Wang Chao
"The Unforgiven," Yoon Jong-bin (first film)
"La Tourneuse De Pages," Denis Dercourt
"La Californie," Jacques Fieschi (first film)
"Meurtrieres," Patrickc Grandperret
"A Scanner Darkly," Richard Linklater

V.I.P.

Official Judges of the Cannes Film Festival
From the Los Angeles Times
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/c...coll=cl-movies

Quote:
Chinese director Wong Kar Wai will preside over the jury made up of Italian actress Monica Bellucci, British actors Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Roth, American actor Samuel L. Jackson, Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang, Argentine director Lucrecia Martel, French director Patrice Leconte and Palestinian director Elia Suleiman.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
I saw an extract on Berlusconi's parody and it was sharp and good,though I still need to see the rest of the film.The Good German is really really interesting,Clooney and Blanchett in a WWII crime mystery...that's good!Nicole's Fur looks good.

By the way,want.2B.bones you may be interested, is Lynch's film to be premiered here or not?Cause I read different things all the time.
Hey did you see the trailer for Fur?And how was it i really cant wait for that movie!

Can someone tell me what does "volver"mean in english?

What is Paris Je T"aime about?

24-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil
Can someone tell me what does "volver"mean in english?

Literally, it means "to return," but I don't know if any other meaning can be derived of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil
What is Paris Je T"aime about?

IMDB Plot Summary

It sounds like the format will be similar to that of 21 Grams, Coffee & Cigarettes, Personal Velocity: Three Portraits, and Sin City, in that the separate segments sustain individuality while uniting in some way, in this case, the common theme being Paris.

I'm excited for Alejandro González Iñárritu's Babel, Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette, John Cameron Mitchell's Shortbus, Pedro Almodóvar's Volver, Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Paris, Je T'Aime. I think it's nice that Richard Linklater's Fast Food Nation and A Scanner Darkly and Richard Kelly's Southland Tales are being featured at the festival, but it doesn't seem that their films are very Cannes-y.

24-04-2006
scenester

I'm looking forward to Babel, Volver and A Scanner Darkly. Isn't Thom Yorke doing the soundtrack to A Scanner Darkly? I cant remember but I hope so. I'm not a fan of Sofia Coppola's films but hopefully she does Marie Antoinette justice. From what i've seen it (screencaps and teaser trailer), she is potraying MA as this out-of-control drunken party girl, which I loathe. But nevertheless it'll be interesting to see her adaptation.

Not looking forward to: The Da Vinci Code - When is this fad going to die?

24-04-2006
scenester

Oh and David Lynch's Inland Empire is NOT going to premiere in Cannes. Supposedly, it is not finish. Ohh...Why, David, Why????

24-04-2006
Deep Red Bells

Is Sofia making MA out to be a sympathetic character?
I really hope it's good... it looks so hit or miss.

24-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmollyll

Literally, it means "to return," but I don't know if any other meaning can be derived of it.

IMDB Plot Summary

It sounds like the format will be similar to that of 21 Grams, Coffee & Cigarettes, Personal Velocity: Three Portraits, and Sin City, in that the separate segments sustain individuality while uniting in some way, in this case, the common theme being Paris.

I'm excited for Alejandro González Iñárritu's Babel, Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette, John Cameron Mitchell's Shortbus, Pedro Almodóvar's Volver, Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Paris, Je T'Aime. I think it's nice that Richard Linklater's Fast Food Nation and A Scanner Darkly and Richard Kelly's Southland Tales are being featured at the festival, but it doesn't seem that their films are very Cannes-y.
Thanks very much for explaning it!

24-04-2006
fashion elite

Volver is awesome, pure Almodovar.
Volver means return but in a way in this case in means like a come back, Almodovar coming back to his roots in Castilla-La Mancha(he was born here,Don Quijote comes from this place too)Penelope coming back to her beloved Spanish cinema, Carmen Maura who is an excellent actress coming back to Pedro since they had a fight a stopped working together which was a shame. Finally and most important, Pedro coming back with to mother, you feel the esence of his mother everywhere in the movie.
I loved it and Penelope was fantastic, she definitely needs to stop doing American-Hollywood rubbish.

V.I.P.

Is anybody actually going to be at the festival???

Heard "Dreamgirls" is going to be included at Cannes, but I don't think they're in competition. Didn't read it throughly, though............. The outline and actors are mentioned in the website below, just in case... I'm not really looking forward to this film..... Seems like many are though....

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/99409.html

trendsetter

it sounds like an interesting mix of films this year. i'm definitely looking forward to it. (but i can be glad if i see it on TV. being at cannes.. i wish. )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cannes, festival, film