How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2005
front row

Printed words are always my friend, even if it's not great writing... I enjoyed the book (on cd), but I didn't like that I knew what the main female character's role in this was halfway in or so. *I* suck at predicting what will happen and I knew right away.

07-01-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgie
Loved it!!!!
But, I'm disappointed that they're going to ruin it by making a movie- movies rarely compare to the books they are based on.
i heard it's tom hanks so it might be good

within an embrace

Everyone always reads The DaVinci Code first, even though the first appearance of Langdon is in Angels and Demons. I also prefer Angels and Demons to The DaVinci Code, and if you guys are interested in bibliomysteries, I also recommend Umberto Eco, Katherine Neville, Iain Pears, and Matthew Pearl...there was one other but I forgot his name. Those are my biggies for bibliomysteries, though, but they're more heady books than Dan Brown's stuff is, which is much more thriller-esque.

10-01-2005
urd
tfs star

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm loving it so far

10-01-2005
trendsetter

I have to agree.. its a nice and easy read, but its not real literature.

11-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgie
Loved it!!!!
But, I'm disappointed that they're going to ruin it by making a movie- movies rarely compare to the books they are based on.
yes, that's usually true, i'd agree.

12-01-2005
fashion elite

I loved it, mostly because I've read about the whole priory of sion thing before. I'm a sucker for mysteries

15-01-2005
backstage pass

i enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, tho the ending was a little dissapointing, and i found the female character to be a bit too 2D, as tho she was there only to be the beauty on his arm... i have also read Angels and Demons which i think i enjoyed more. true they aren't what you might call literature, but if you like a mystery and find religion based conspiracy theories intriguing you will probably love it!! [i happen to like both those things]

Last edited by eternity; 15-01-2005 at 02:04 AM.
15-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

I mean it's not great literature or anything but it's a decent book. Really pulls you in right away which is difficult to do I think. My only problem is that Dan Brown painted a lot of the art history things to be known facts when in fact they are not. For example, he says that the Virgin of the Rocks at the Louvre is thought to be the first when actually there is a large body of people who believe the one at the National Gallery to be the first. Also the positioning of the Virgin's hand to be sort of 'twisted' so to speak which isn't even how I was taught it which was that it was sort of 'loving'. Anyway, it was still a good read.

15-01-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiders
I agree! The writing style was very amateurish...it reminded me of reading teenage mystery books like Nancy Drew.

The subject matter was interesting, but if you know anything about early Christianity/paganism/ancient mythology, then the theories are really nothing new or innovative.
i absolutely agree..
to me the story was a joke but regardless, it is a VERY bad writen book, Dan Brown could easily be the worst author i ever read in this life.. so over advertised, affecting global conciousness... and all his silly propaganda is seriously getting on my nerves

15-01-2005
ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
My only problem is that Dan Brown painted a lot of the art history things to be known facts when in fact they are not.
ditto - he's a bit of a joke within the art history academic community because of this.

15-05-2006
V.I.P.

It's got positive reviews , thus far

17-05-2006
V.I.P.

^ I guess that was erroneously posted. Cannes Festival critics laughed at it and called Tom Hanks bloated! I knew he wasn't right for the role . Just because he's Ron Howard's best friend he gave it him. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Hanks ruined Robert Langdon

17-05-2006
front row

Yeah, I heard the reviews are not so good.

18-05-2006
front row

A friend of mine went to see that movie and said it is really bad, comparing with the novel. She mentioned that Tom Hanks becomes a typcial American hero and Audrey Tautou is like his follower kind of idiot, not as smart as Sophie.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
code, da, vinci