How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2006
scenester

I am reading it now and im soo curious on how it ends...

20-05-2006
Deep Red Bells

My sister-in-laws say the movie last night....
they said it was really good.
But they also both liked Failure to Launch so I can't take their words for it.

20-05-2006
V.I.P.

I loved teh book.And i just couldnt put it down once i started reading it!So i read her in two days a thing i have never done before and dont think i ever will!I was just so hooked!
Cant wait for the movie and while it got a great critic reviews in US it good slated in France!I am not surprised and we all know that the church has a lot to do with it.So dont mind the reviews and go and see it for yourself!I sure will no matter what the critics say!

20-05-2006
tfs star

i read The Da Vinci Code two years ago, i love it
and today i am going to see movie, i want to show this movie to my younger sister

20-05-2006
front row

I saw the movie...it was ok. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't particularly good. I giggled during some 'important' moments

20-05-2006
backstage pass

^I did that too a couple times as well. It was a pretty fun and entertaining movie but some parts really were overly dramatic. Anyways, even if it did get bad reviews, you still gotta give it credit for showing just how strongly religion affects (and some could argue, controls) peoples' lives. I still have a really hard time understanding why people who are devoutly religious can still kill another human being.

By the way, is the book any good?

20-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misako
Everyone always reads The DaVinci Code first, even though the first appearance of Langdon is in Angels and Demons. I also prefer Angels and Demons to The DaVinci Code, and if you guys are interested in bibliomysteries, I also recommend Umberto Eco, Katherine Neville, Iain Pears, and Matthew Pearl...there was one other but I forgot his name. Those are my biggies for bibliomysteries, though, but they're more heady books than Dan Brown's stuff is, which is much more thriller-esque.
Hey Misako, thanks for the recommendations! I read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum and it was a much, much, much more difficult read than Dan Brown. It was very interesting though. Like you said, Brown's are more thriller-esque.

Quote:
^ I guess that was erroneously posted. Cannes Festival critics laughed at it and called Tom Hanks bloated! I knew he wasn't right for the role . Just because he's Ron Howard's best friend he gave it him. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Hanks ruined Robert Langdon
LOL smartarse, just 'cos the critics don't like it doesn't mean other people cannot like the movie. I've not watched it and I intend to once the hype has settled a little and the throngs of people have lessened. I was afraid I was going to be horribly disappointed because that's always what happens when I read the book, then watch the movie. But thanks to the critics and the bashing the movie got, I'll go with a lot less expectation and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
But I agree with you. I've seen the trailers and Tom Hanks has totally ruined my image of Langdon!!! Why did they have to go style his hair in that hideous manner??? That's sad because Tom Hanks is one of my favourite actors.
BTW, you've got a very cute username

21-05-2006
fashion elite

As I said for 100 times now, Dan Brown wrote a best seller not a masterpiece, he doesn't write literature. The film is a blockbuster not a masterpice.

Having said that, I actually liked this movie. I thought sir Ian Mckellen was really good, Paul Bettany outstanding as Silas(I actually felt sorry for him in the film though I disliked him in the book), Audrey was good and she wasn't all the time with her eyes wide open as many critics said. Hanks as Langdon?? Well he is actually the most wooden character of all, seriously, Hanks had no great material to use. I think he was fine, no zombie at all.

scenester

I saw it last night and I didn't like it at all. C'est horrible.

Ron Howard made it as cheesy as he could had and used bad casting. The holograms? Come on. He had to SHOW everything and left nothing to the imagination. And this is why the Cannes critics hated it. They hate when they are made to be a stupid audience and, as the Europeans (or any non-Americans) do, like a little left to the imagination; a little insinuation instead of a blatant lay-it-out method.

That being said, the editing staff I think did a wonderful job of paring down the long book into a movie, and was smart in editing out certain details.

Hanks was unconvincing as Langdon, and wasn't the right person to play him. He lacked a certain academic sophistication and he just looks too goofy. And where the hell was the tweed? He made a lot of the audience laugh at inappropriate times, and his awkwardness just did not sell me on the fact that he was supposed to be a renowned Harvard professor. I stil think they should have just given in and used Harrison Ford for Langdon.

Audrey Tautou was better than I thought she would be, but in my opinion, a little too young-looking to play the role.

Ian McKellen, as the critics said, was the only really good thing about the movie and his portrayal of Leigh Teabing was both intriguing and smart.

21-05-2006
Been things & seen places

I liked it just fine...a good fun thriller of a movie
I see alot of movies and believe me, i have seen much much worse.
People are acting like this is "Basic Instinct 2" this is a good popcorn film, shot beautifully, with great actors, and a truly intriguing plot...thumbs up from me.

rising star

I agree!

For some reason I never got round to reading the book, I just read my mother's booksa cuz I'm too poor to buy my own and I owe loads of money to ther library and she gave the DVC to a friend and never returned it... I'll still read it because my friend said the book had a lot more detail about codes and the paintings

backstage pass

Nope .. Haven't read the book, but I so wanna read it. But I'm going to watch the movie very soon. I'm so excited!

Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate

23-05-2006
backstage pass

This is hilarious, each time you refresh the page you get a new (or should I say same?) novel by Dan Brown :p

http://tobyinkster.co.uk/Software/dan_brown/

rising star

Hi. I read the book a long time ago. My brothers even got me the edition with the picture when that one came out. It is one of the best book out there. I have never read a book as interesting as that book. Usually, I prefer more chic lit. Like Confessions of a Shopaholic. I love that series. So The Da Vinci Code is a really different kind of story. I can't wait for Dan Brown's next book.

I also got a chance to see the movie. It was very good. They had the best actors. Tom Hanks was by far the best choice. The only problem with the movie was that he solved all of those puzzles or anagrams so quickly. Well, it makes sense cuz it's a movie so they have to have him solve it quickly. Or else the movie would be really long.

25-05-2006
Naturellement pulpeuse

Clearly, I wouldn't read the book. However, I've just seen the film. I thought it was pretty poor, to be honest. The 'mysterious' plot is dull a ditchwater. Templars, Mary M, Opus Dei? Does the book not have a single original idea or is it a truly dreadful screenplay... Who doesn't know that the modern church was essentially created by the Nicene Creed? The Apocrypha are available in public libraries, I hardly call that sinister...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
code, da, vinci