How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-09-2012
don't look down

Well, that was a short run of episodes, and now we're back to waiting for more...

30-09-2012
fashion icon

I hate how it feels like only yesterday that the new season was starting up and now it's over till christmas. It's far too short of a episode run!

I just finished watching the last episode, and oh my goodness, so many tears! I think I ended up sobbing throughout the later half of the episode and for a good while after it was done. Overall I rather "liked" it, I'm just glad that Amy and Rory ended up together. I think I would have been totally gutted if only one of them didn't make it. But they were such a sweet couple and it was really important that they lived the rest of their lives together. And hopefully the Doctor understands that.

don't look down

Two Time Lords in the same place, at the same time... at a theatre press night (dailymail.co.uk):

fashion icon

Holy smokes...I swear to god David Tennant get's better with age! And Matt Smith is like an overgrown, adorable hipster child. Lovely to see Matt and Billie together as well, they apparently are great friends.

don't look down

I would certainly say this year's Christmas special is worth a look, if only to find out more about the new assistant... while you catch up, here are some of the official Doctor Who stamps that the Royal Mail will be releasing in 2013 (dailymail.co.uk).

As one person commented: "At last, I get to lick David Tennant without the fear of arrest!"

Quote:
The 50th anniversary of Doctor Who will be marked by a special set of stamps next year.

The Royal Mail said 11 stamps will be issued on March 26, featuring each of the actors who have played the role of the Time Lord, ranging from the first Doctor, William Hartnell, to the current one, Matt Smith.

David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Peter Davison, Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton will also be featured on the stamps, which will all be First Class.

fashion insider

I felt like this year's Christmas Special brought back some of the heart and warmth that Doctor Who had lost since David left and I have to say that is because of Clara. She's going to be such an incredible companion.
Posted via Mobile Device

26-12-2012
backstage pass

^ Agree! I thought it was the best christmas special with Matt by far, also one of the best episodes in general in a long time. I wasn't so sure about Clara in the beginning, but after the special I completely fell in love with her. I have a feeling that she's going to be great.

fashion icon

I throughly enjoyed the Doctor Who christmas special, it was a great way to properly introduce Clara! In two episodes, Jenna Louise Coleman has made her "character" rather endearing and memorable. I especially love the last twenty mins or so of the episode, by the end my sister and I were going, 'wtf.' It was a brilliant ending and I'm so excited to find out who exactly Clara is.

fashion insider

Did anyone watch the first episode? I really think the Doctor and Clara will be involved romantically.

Oh and yay for David returning for the 50th anniversary special. I'm not too excited about Billlie's return.

06-04-2013
fashion icon

Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor and Clara became romantically involved. While on one hand I can totally see why it would happen but it does seem like taking the easy way out. It seems like so many of the Doctor's companions are romantically-linked in some way, Amy wasn't really but her daughter was, I kind of wish they would create another companion like Donna. Someone who's the doctor's best friend and where there wasn't a hint of romantic-vibes between the two. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll probably still freak out if/when they get together or whatever but it would be nice to see the female companions written a bit better.

Also I saw this on tumblr and was sort of amazed while reading it. While I do like some of Moffat's stories I think this might in part explain why I'm partial to RTD's episodes.
Quote:
There is something called the Bechdel Test. It’s a scale you run movies through to basically see how conscious of female characters they are.

The test is as follows:
1. It must have at least two named female characters.
2. They must speak to each other.
3. They must converse about something other than a man. Anything with a score lower than 3 fails.

I’ve run all of the episodes of NewWho through this test and here are my results:

Percent of failed episodes written by RTD: 9.7%
By Moffat: 55.6%
Percent of episodes in which there were two named female characters, but they didn’t speak to one another by RTD: 9.7%
By Moffat: 16.7%
Percent of episodes without two named female characters by RTD: 0%
By Moffat: 5.6%
Percent of failed episodes with RTD as showrunner (including those written by other writers): 20%
With Moffat: 67.8%
Percent of episodes in which there were two named female characters, but they didn’t speak to one another with RTD as showrunner: 10%
With Moffat: 25%
Percent of episodes without two named female characters with RTD as showrunner: 0%
With Moffat: 25%
Total percent of failed episodes: 35.2%
Total percent of episodes in which there were two named female characters, but they didn’t speak to one another: 14.8%
Total percent of episodes without two named female characters: 8%

RTD did a lot better than Moffat. This is not a go at him, just facts.

Over half of SM’s episodes failed. RTD neither wrote or was showrunner to an episode with less than two named female characters. Moffat wrote one episode with less than two named female characters, and a staggering 25% (1/4!) of episodes with him as showrunner did not include more than one named female character.
http://theoncomingwolf.tumblr.com/po...o-bechdel-test

fashion insider

Moffat used to be so much better when he wasn't show runner. The episodes he wrote with David and Chris as the Doctor are my favourite ever Who episodes. His female characters like Sally Sparrow and Madame de Pompadour were brilliant.

My favourite companion of the New Who era was Donna and that is because they had such a strong friendship. Rory is probably my second fave. Rose annoyed me because she became such a Mary Sue character and her entire life just revolved around the doctor. I really do like Clara because she's witty, she's strong, and she's such a warm character.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pixiedust1603; 06-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.

06-04-2013
fashion icon

I agree Moffat was much better when he wasn't a show runner, it almost seems like it's a bit much for him. Maybe it's a bit much for him to be show runner for both Doctor Who and Sherlock (though I'm sure fans of both shows would say I'm committing a sin for suggesting this)? And I do love some of his female characters, especially Sally Sparrow, even if the weeping angels do terrifying me a bit.

I think we have similar views, Donna is my favorite as well. She was just so brilliant and funny and I loved how she was so adamant about not being the Doctor's romantic love interest. He really need her to be his friend and I think she need him as well. The way she left the Doctor's companionship was (and still is) quite upsetting. My sister would so agree with you about Rory, she loves him to bits (I like him though too)! I do like Clara's character (though I imagine my previous post sounded like I didn't like her), she seems like a fresh of breath air. Plus, she can keep up with the Doctor's fast way of speaking!

fashion insider

I think we're both on the same page.

Is it just me or are the new episodes just like ones during David's tenure? Today's reminded me if the devil one and the trailer for next week reminds me of another one of his.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-04-2013
V.I.P.

Saturday's episode reminded me of The End of the World (Ninth Doctor) and The Beast Below, weirdly enough they were both second episodes with their particular companions--Rose, Amy and now Clara (and I'm calling it her second because it IS the second with Clara as Clara) and this most recent one was nowhere near as good as the other two, in my opinion. And I wasn't the biggest fan of The Beast Below, for the record.

I like Clara, but I feel kind of like she's being shoved down our throats a little, if that makes any sense--like we KNOW we're supposed to adore her, because she's REALLY SPECIAL, so we do. But I also really, really loved Amy and Rory and I'm not quite over their departure, so I'm not at all an unbiased opinion here, haha.

I also don't like jumping on the "Moffat is a woman hater!!" boat, but I will agree he seems to have some issues somewhere. And I'm not fond of the Doctor and Clara being romantically involved because, um, hello, he's married to River. The guy who saves all of the worlds can't be a cheater!

And last but not least, I love Rose too, but I far prefer her when she was traveling with Nine. Their affection/friendship seemed much more organic to me, and it also felt much more like it was from both sides. I'd much rather see Nine and Rose for the 50th than Ten and Rose, but I know I'm in the minority there.

09-04-2013
tfs star

i haven't seen the last episode yet, but so far i love Clara and i didn't thought i would. Amy and Rory used to be my fave companions by far, followed by Donna, Martha was okay and Rose annoyed me so such, so i wouldn't really want her for the 50th...

and i don't know but i guess i never really mind about the percentage of appearences of female characters i just feel sometimes people picture someone as a male character because they do and not because they are against female characters (i myself when i write preffer to write and create male characters, but not because i don't like female since i'm a girl myself but because i feel it's a bit more interesting)

I guess the fact that Moffat episodes aren't as good as the ones he wrote when he wasn't a showrunner could be because he had way more ideas he could merge into one single episode while now he has to extend this to almost all of the episodes of the season??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
doctor