How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-03-2009
scenester

I really seem to be drawn to the sports docs, probably because I'm a pretty big sports nut. Hoop Dreams is one of my favorites as is Dogtown & Z-Boys and the Muhammed Ali doc When We Were Kings...brilliant!

I also really like nature documentaries - the images are just SO amazing, hard to believe we live in a world with so much beauty. March of the Penguins is a total must-see if you love animals. I recently saw a trailer for an upcoming Disney Nature movie called Earth - if you ever saw the series, this movie looks like it'll blow you away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06r7eKKjkI

15-04-2009
V.I.P.

^I must see March of the Penguins - I can't believe I haven't already! Has anyone seen Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World? I have it downloaded but still haven't got around to seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout01 View Post
^ I actually went to see that at the cinema. I highly recommend it to anybody to go and watch it.
I saw it at that cinema as well. It couldn't shake it out of my head for weeks.

15-04-2009
backstage pass

I know that most other documentaries are more sombre, but for anyone interested in fashion/music I reccomend Party Monster: The Shockumentary. A documentary about Michael Alig and the club kid scene.

16-04-2009
scenester

^^ I saw the movie based on him but didn't know there was a documentary. I'll have to check that out one out as well!

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Everybody should see Dear Zachary.. but have some Kleenex handy.

19-05-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
I love documentaries

Some I highly recommend:

The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris

—errolmorris.com
I watched that film years ago on the channel IFC and was amazed by it though it was in poor quality, the other elements of the documentary made up for it. The score by Phillip Glass was haunting..I long to hear it again, the testimony by the jury members, the accused, the convicted and the policemen. I loved that documentary, I'm suprised someone acknowledged it here

19-05-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Capturing the Friedmans by Andrew Jarecki

—awardannals.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10VjJgx1dU
I'm watching the film right now on DVD...very tragic

20-05-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Everybody should see Dear Zachary.. but have some Kleenex handy.
I just watched the trailer on YouTube and looked up some news articles to find out what happened... I literally gasped ugh my heart would break watching that.

20-05-2009
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

i watched The War On Democracy by John Pilger in my Poli Sci class. very good, its on youtube if you guys wanna check it out

20-05-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_25th View Post
I just watched the trailer on YouTube and looked up some news articles to find out what happened... I literally gasped ugh my heart would break watching that.
It is a tough story...

But the parents are so strong and very inspiring. If anything, watch it for them.

21-05-2009
tfs star

An Inconvenient Truth By Davis Guggenheim

and

The 11th Hour By Nadia Conners and Leila Conners Petersen

LOVE THEM BOTH!!!

21-05-2009
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_25th View Post

me too! i wanna watch it now.

21-05-2009
V.I.P.

Very neat thread! My bf is heading out next week to film his friend at the World Beatbox champs. He's been filming him since he began his beatboxing career from the streets, to shows and now the World Champs. The story of a quiet kid giving the gift of making music, and noise beyond understanding, with his mouth.

23-05-2009
tfs star

I just watched a docu about Mike Tyson. It was not only about boxing.

Trailer: Tyson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ9-rCyakME

Two years ago I watched a docu about the Paskowitz (surf) family. They traveled around with their 9 children through the US in a camper. A real story, a good story!

Trailer: Surwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54wo_WMzfo

24-05-2009
windowshopping

My favorites:

F for Fake
Orson Welles' free-form documentary about fakery focusses on the notorious art forger Elmyr de Hory and Elmyr's biographer, Clifford Irving, who also wrote the celebrated fraudulent Howard Hughes autobiography, then touches on the reclusive Hughes and Welles' own career (which started with a faked resume and a phony Martian invasion). On the way, Welles plays a few tricks of his own on the audience.

Man on Wire
On August 7, 1974, Philippe Petit, a French wire walker, juggler, and street performer days shy of his 25th birthday, spent 45 minutes walking, dancing, kneeling, and lying on a wire he and friends strung between the rooftops of the Twin Towers. Uses contemporary interviews, archival footage, and recreations to tell the story of his previous walks between towers of Notre Dame and of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, his passions and friendships, and the details of the night before the walk: getting cable into the towers, hiding from guards, and mounting the wire. It ends with observations of the profound changes the walk's success brought to Philippe and those closest to him.

War photographer
Documentary about war photographer James Nachtwey, considered by many the greatest war photographer ever

Deep Water
DEEP WATER is the stunning true story of the first solo, non-stop, round-the-world boat race, and the psychological toll it took on its competitors. Sponsored by the Sunday Times of London, the much-ballyhooed event attracted a field of nine, including amateur sailor Donald Crowhurst, who set out to circumnavigate the globe in late 1968. Battling treacherous seas and his own demons, Crowhurst almost immediately comes apart as he faces the isolation of nine months on the high seas. Part adventure yarn and part metaphysical mystery, DEEP WATER is an unforgettable journey into one mans heart of darkness

Don't look back
Portrait of the artist as a young man. In spring, 1965, Bob Dylan, 23, a pixyish troubador, spends three weeks in England. Pennebaker's camera follows him from airport to hall, from hotel room to public house, from conversation to concert. Joan Baez and Donovan, among others, are on hand. It's the period when Dylan is shifting from acoustic to electric, a transition that not all fans, including Baez, applaud. From the opening sequence of Dylan holding up words to the soundtrack's "Subterranean Homesick Blues," Dylan is playful and enigmatic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
documentary, films