How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

Deep Water was very good. As I said in the other film thread, I wasn't aware of any of details about the men nor the race before watching, so I was completely shocked, fascinated and deeply disturbed by what happened. It was especially hard to watch the interviews with Crowhurt's wife. (I recommend to anyone who plans on watching this, to not research Crowhurst first as it may lessen the impact.)

Here's the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDs67LfPYPU

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissablekae View Post
i watched The War On Democracy by John Pilger in my Poli Sci class. very good, its on youtube if you guys wanna check it out
I saw this a while ago. That ex-chief-of-the-CIA guy was absolutely terrifying I don't think anyone has ever infuriated me more than him.

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

re: Deep Water

Looks like it is on youtube too.. 12 parts
the one by username, gold xxxx

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

I'd recommend Marlene, I just saw it, it's prety amazing:

amazon

26-05-2009
xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
I saw this a while ago. That ex-chief-of-the-CIA guy was absolutely terrifying I don't think anyone has ever infuriated me more than him.
^ heyy i didnt get this post in my email hmmm.

i appreciate my American Govt Professor for showing docs like this, i hate teachers who only teach from the book but dont try to enlighten us with anything else. he says he loves see the light bulbs go off on top of our heads

you should have seen me and my classmates, we know this stuff goes on but to hear the CIA interviewees being so dismissive about everything pissed us all off. i shook my head at the responses when he said "we didnt kill thousands, count 'em" and John Pilger was like "all of their names are on the memorial site"!

im sure NSA is reading everything i write my professor also showed us a documentary on the NSA, NOVA : The Spy Factory which talked about the events leading up to 9/11 and the changes to privacy afterwards.

Last edited by kissablekae; 26-05-2009 at 04:05 AM.
27-05-2009
windowshopping

Anything by David Attenborough
The World at War
Joy Division
Cosmos

windowshopping

A very good one, but I recommend it if you watch it, you have to be open minded, because Bill Maher expose some very good points about different religions, no one can give him an answer to all his questions lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkyLrDpaUg

Last edited by Mysterious; 04-06-2009 at 12:16 AM.
04-06-2009
congratulations, nerds.

I love documentaries - I was lucky enough to study them last year for my film class and we looked at Biggie & Tupac, Bowling for Columbine, Coalface and Primary (a direct cinema documentary that followed JFK on the campaign trail to election.)

I watched half of The Bridge but found it quite difficult to watch, but I will go back to it soon. I'd like to see Man On Wire as well because it seems like a fascinating subject.

20-06-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Funny that you mention Man On Wire... because that is one docu that I'm not interested in. And I don't know why. But it just does not spark any interest for me.

Regarding Religulous, I found it to be somewhat boring... longer than it needed to me. It felt as if they really stretched the footage.

20-06-2009
backstage pass

Oh I love this thread! Thanks to everyone who has shared suggestions, now I got a whole list of documentaries to add to my Netflix queue!

A couple of my favorite documentaries are:

What Remains: The Life & Work of Sally Mann - At home at her Virginia farm, photographer Sally Mann reflects on the controversy surrounding her earlier collections while forging ahead with new work in this intimate portrait of an artist. Also offering insights into the photographer's career are Mann's husband and her now-grown offspring Emmett, Virginia and Jessie, whom Mann famously photographed nude when they were young children in her career-making collection Immediate Family.

Born Into Brothels - This Oscar-winning documentary is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in Calcutta's red-light district, where their mothers work as prostitutes. Spurred by the kids' fascination with her camera, Zana Briski, a photographer documenting life in the brothels, decides to teach them photography. As they begin to look at and record their world through new eyes, the kids awaken to their own talents and sense of worth.

"What Remains" was superb, Sally Mann is my favorite photographer and it was great watching her process and hearing her speak candidly about her work and life. Also included on special features section of the "What Remains" DVD is a much earlier short documentary, shot by the same filmmaker, and focusing on Sally Mann and her three children during the time she was working on her book "Immediate Family".

And "Born Into Brothels" was not only good, but it really inspired me to see the worth of art, not that I didn't value it before (I pretty much live to make art), but as far as using art to benefit those in need. I had been interested joining the Peace Corps or something similar, but could never find volunteer opportunities for artists. But this documentary reminded me once again of the never dying power of art.

(Descriptions from Netflix ).

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I watched Emmanuel's Gift last night... truly inspiring... even more than the description below details... really, a terrific lesson on human will.

I can't believe that 10% of Ghana's population is deemed "disabled"... and most are outcasts and cannot find work because of this.

From Netflix:

"Oprah Winfrey narrates this inspirational look at living with a disability in Ghana, as seen through the eyes of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah, who was born with a badly deformed right leg. While most of the nation's 2 million citizens who are deemed "disabled" suffer discrimination, abandonment and ridicule, Emmanuel has dedicated his life to traveling the country via bicycle to open people's minds and to transform lives."

02-07-2009
backstage pass

Almost forgot to mention, before, one of my favorites:

The Endless Summer (1966) - The quintessential surf film directed and humorously narrated by Bruce Brown follows summer around the globe in 1966. Mike Hynson and Robert August ride the wild waters of Hawaii, Australia, Africa and other exotic locales in search of the perfect wave, strengthening their friendship and teaching natives along the way. This beautifully shot, laidback documentary captures a thrilling sport.

(Description from Netflix)
Oh, and also Dogtown & Z-Boys, but I think that's been mentioned in this thread already.

scenester

Has anyone seen Lagerfeld Confidential, and did they like it?

20-07-2009
trendsetter

I've seen a few documentaries on TV through out the years, but recently I watched "Super Size Me" and "My Kid Could Paint That", and wanted to watch more documentaries, but I didn't know which others there are, so I'm glad to have come upon this thread. I'll go through your recomendations, and I hope I can get a hold of some of the DVDs .

20-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
I've seen a few documentaries on TV through out the years, but recently I watched "Super Size Me" and "My Kid Could Paint That", and wanted to watch more documentaries, but I didn't know which others there are, so I'm glad to have come upon this thread. I'll go through your recomendations, and I hope I can get a hold of some of the DVDs .
Oh, how was "My Kid Could Paint That", I started watching it the other week (on Netflix, it's one you can instantly watched), but I must admit I stopped it after a few minutes and decided to watch a different documentary on Netflix. I don't know why I gave up on it so quickly. Just for some reason, I wasn't feeling it. But, tell me, what did you think of it? If you really liked it, I might have to go back and try watching it again.

Tags
documentary, films