How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2011
backstage pass

After seeing three of French director Louis Malle's scripted films (Au Revoir Les Enfants, The Fire Within, and Elevator To The Gallows, all quite wonderful, especially the latter two) I've found he makes a fine documentary, as well, as a drama. I first watched God's Country, which is a solid documentary, though farming may not be of my greatest interest. Then I settled in for the 1969 Phantom India, whose mammoth length (its run time is 6 hours and 3 minutes) made me a bit wary (as I tend to be short on patience), but oh, what a unforgettable film! A journey through India and sublime cinema, Phantom India is one of the most magnificent and well-rounded films I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

For me personally, this is the film version of what the book "Night Train to Lisbon" (which inspired me to cut all ties in the U.S. and spontaneously fly to Lisbon, and travel in Europe and Africa) did for me. I am now drafting plans for a trip to India, after this film, it was that powerful.

Here's a small selection of screencapture's, really a miniscule look at the wide scoop of this film:

Screencaptures source: filmsufi.blogspot

I can't wait to see more of Malle's documentaries!

Last edited by Susanna-Cole; 07-05-2011 at 07:19 AM.

08-05-2011
windowshopping

Saw two excellent documentaries lately.

Paris Is Burning (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100332/)

This is a documentary of 'drag nights' among New York's underclass. Queens are interviewed and observed preparing for and competing in many 'balls'. The people, the clothes, and the whole environment are outlandish.

It's such a great documentary. Equal parts funny and fabulous and desperately sad, especially towards the end.

Catfish (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016)

In late 2007, filmmakers Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost sensed a story unfolding as they began to film the life of Ariel's brother, Nev. They had no idea that their project would lead to the most exhilarating and unsettling months of their lives. A reality thriller that is a shocking product of our times, Catfish is a riveting story of love, deception and grace within a labyrinth of online intrigue

08-05-2011
windowshopping

I loved Catfish, I made all my friends watch it. I actually have seen it thanks to a tfs member. But if you are going to watch it, don't read anything about it before.
I couldn't believe it, it was very sad.

I also really liked The Boy Interrupted, if you haven't seen it I really recommend it.

Now I want to see Tarnation, I've heard it's really a great documentary. Have anybody seen it?

tfs star

I just watched Boy, Interrupted. Thanks for the recommendation, it was brilliant and so devastatingly tragic at the same time, I think I cried from the first scene to the last.

fashion insider

I dont know if I'm the only one to do this, but I went through itunes U and downloaded a few courses. My favorite is the Sociology one from Berkeley, bu Robb Miller. He's awesome. I listen to him when I go out on hicks in the forest. It's really interesting and he has a great sense of humor. Anyway, he usually talks about and make his students watch documentaries. The only one I've seen so far is the milgram experiment. It's really interesting and kind of makes you wonder what you would do if you were the one that had to hit the button... (It has been redone by many people, you're bound to have one in your language )
(ps: if someone doesnt know what it is, I can explain the experiment )

12-05-2011
trendsetter

Did anyone here attend the London International Documentary festival? I couldn't make it to London from the beginning but hopefully I'll be able to see "Happy". I'd love to hear some feedbacks from people who are/did attend

17-07-2011
tfs star

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff
(for the movie lovers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN_aejkbh9c

19-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Licentiate View Post
Saw two excellent documentaries lately.

Paris Is Burning (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100332/)

This is a documentary of 'drag nights' among New York's underclass. Queens are interviewed and observed preparing for and competing in many 'balls'. The people, the clothes, and the whole environment are outlandish.
I just watched this last night thanks to Huluplus. It was a great documentry. Although, it makes me rather sad to find out that they majority of the people featured have died. I'm rather curious to see what happened to the two young kids that had a brief scene in it.

I would give it 5 Stars. I just read that there is a follow documentary called How do I look. Not made by the same director as Paris, but it does feature a couple of the stars that were still living at the time.

22-07-2012
scenester

Can't believe I just discovered this thread o_O My passion is documentary film making. I love that it's getting much more appreciated these days. There are so many exciting projects every year it seems.

Has anyone seen Bully? I can't wait for it to be released in the UK =)

you soft and only

I've been watching a few music documentaries lately:

-Blur: No Distance Left to Run (2010)
-Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1973)
-Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everyone Talkin' About Him?) (2010)
-Scott Walker: 30th Century Man (2007)

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend more?

I especially find ones about artists that aren't as popular anymore such as the Harry Nilsson or Scott Walker ones to be the most fascinating.

Last edited by blueorchid; 31-08-2012 at 12:07 AM.
04-09-2012
rising star

I recently saw Italy, Love It or Leave It (http://www.italyloveitorleave.it/), it was entertaining and interesting.

17-10-2013
tfs star

Searching for Sugar Man

It was one of the best docu's i have seen this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEojBYmR-o

22-10-2013
front row

Mine is about chronic pain and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.
Very scary and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Sd3AtUgGU

22-10-2013
V.I.P.

I recently watched Capturing the Friedmans which was soooo creepy and intense.

Also interesting was a newer documentary called The Imposter. [This should be available on Netflix]

Both of these films leave you wondering - who was guilty? Who was in the wrong? But there are no easy answers, thus leaving the viewer feeling uneasy.

Both are definitely worth watching imo!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 22-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
documentary, films