How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-10-2011
V.I.P.

Somehow I found this episode very unexciting.
I'm more inclined to think Cora will die, in tonight's episode there were already signs of Lavinia showing awareness of Matthew's feelings for Mary and I think the producers' approach to her character has been quite dignified, they've never reduced her to be Matthew's shadow/obstacle so I think that she will get out of the way similarly, on her own, killing her would be too obvious and convenient for the show, and I don't think they're about that. I think that if they're going to pull that one out, they would kill the newspaper guy first.

Cora on the other hand, I think the war did put things into perspective when it comes to her marriage.. she seems to have lost some sensibility while her husband's done exactly the opposite, I think they're going to get rid of her and give him a new start.. which WILL make things a lot more interesting.

I love speculating.

I felt so bad for Thomas on this episode.. actually, in this season, he's surely one major pain in the a*s, but I love how they've made him more dimensional, you can almost understand all the bitterness he has.

Oh, and I'll be pissed now if the red dress doesn't make at least one more appearance in the remaining episodes!.

31-10-2011
Looking Up

What a heated episode. So many interesting plots. Ethal's story is especially interesting, I wonder what's going to happen to her and her child. I think it would be interesting if she came back and became a major player in other parts of the story.

Lady Mary I could gush over her forever. Her character is by far the most charming and endearing. I love how she's grown so much. She used to be so naive and snobby, now she's independent and sharp!

What I LOVE about Downton Abbey is how the producers have incorporated WW1 into everything. WW1 really was the most important war in the 20th C, and changed everyone's role.

Meanwhile, I find the romance happening between Sybil and the chauffeur irritating and pathetic. It's such a silly and cliche story. Mary and Matthew's relationship is the only romance I find to be engaging.

Looking forward to seeing more action from O'Brien, she's totally kickass.

31-10-2011
fashion insider

MulletProof, I think Cora is a red herring. There were other spoilers that point at Lavinia and let's be honest, DA has never been an original show. Most of the stuff is very predictable. The show's strength is in the acting, imo.

31-10-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post

Meanwhile, I find the romance happening between Sybil and the chauffeur irritating and pathetic. It's such a silly and cliche story. Mary and Matthew's relationship is the only romance I find to be engaging.
I completely agree. I don't have any issues with either Sybil or Tom as characters, but their relationship is so uninteresting. When they kissed, I just thought 'that's nice for them' but when Matthew wouldn't let his mother give away the teddy Lady Mary bought him I squealed at my flatmate 'SEE? He still loves her' Maybe if we saw more of his personality coming through, other than the empty 'rebel' character they keep putting forward he'd be more exciting?

Does anyone know when the next episode will air - is it next week, or is the next episode the Christmas special?

Last edited by glitterpeacock; 31-10-2011 at 10:36 AM.
31-10-2011
Looking Up

^ Next week's episode will be on the 11th I think. But Im not sure if its the XMAS Special.

31-10-2011
trendsetter

The thing about Downton is that on many levels it's quite daft and has become utterly predictable nowadays. Yet, it still retains a certain class (pun not intended) and delightfulness.

Which was, and still remains, one of the main reasons why I love it so much.

The script of the second series may have left a lot to be desired, but I can watch the show for solely the characters. Especially the Dowager, Lady Mary, Mrs Patmore, Daisy, Thomas and O'Brien.

31-10-2011
trendsetter

^^^ Next week is the series finale then there will another episode over Christmas. I suspect they'll get the Xmas day slot on ITV.

31-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
The thing about Downton is that on many levels it's quite daft and has become utterly predictable nowadays. Yet, it still retains a certain class (pun not intended) and delightfulness.

Which was, and still remains, one of the main reasons why I love it so much.

The script of the second series may have left a lot to be desired, but I can watch the show for solely the characters. Especially the Dowager, Lady Mary, Mrs Patmore, Daisy, Thomas and O'Brien.
Season 2 has definitely not been up to par with season 1. The strength of the show is the characters and the acting of them. But even so, Mary's been too subdued this season. I perked up when she snapped at Branson .

01-11-2011
fashion insider

Trailer for the 8th episode

Pretty obvious who dies. Lavinia.

And Matthew will feel so guilty it last throughout the entire third season

03-11-2011
trendsetter

A third series of Downton has just been confirmed. It's officially the most popular drama series on UK for over 10 years.

Eight new episodes are to be filmed, set in 1920 and 1921 and covering 18 months.

The continuing cast list has some spoiler in it so
Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, Elizabeth McGovern, Penelope Wilton, Dan Stevens, Michelle Dockery, Laura Carmichael, Jessica Brown Findlay, Jim Carter, Phyllis Logan, Sophie McShera, Lesley Nicol, Rob James-Collier, Siobhan Finneran, Joanne Froggatt, Brendan Coyle, Allen Leech and Amy Nuttall all return for the third series

Last edited by littlepaperstars; 03-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
04-11-2011
trendsetter

10 series finale spoilers/hints from Digital Spy.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s183/...he-finale.html

04-11-2011
fashion icon

^I think it's amazing that Downton Abbey is the most popular drama series in Britain. Julian Fellowes has taken a subject which normally wouldn't appeal to a mass of people and has created a storyline which captivates the viewer even if you are not crazy about period dramas. I mean, my sister who doesn't really like historical movies/show that much, even watches Downton and loves it. I really hope that it has as popular viewing in the states when it airs in January as it has been having in the UK. Which it probably will considering it got Emmy noms (and that usually brings in more viewers). In a way I think Downton Abbey is comparable to Mad Men because of the huge draw they have and how no one in the beginning thought a show like these two would come from the channels they aired on (ITV and AMC). Normally shows like Downton Abbey and Mad Men would've been more likely to be seen on the BBC and HBO I think. Anyways, I'm just pleased that my favorite tv show is so successful (hopefully that means some of my friends jump on the bandwagon so I can have someone to talk about the show with besides my family!).

fashion insider

^Is it really that surprising? One of the most successful TV shows ever produced in Denmark is "Matador" from 1978 about the the years up to and after the Second World War with the same upstair/downstair concept. I think people are in general always fascinated by the concept, whether because of curiosity or nostalgia.

The finale was... predictable. Which is why I had lowered my expectations in advance. With the news of a season 3, I supposed this finale was the best I could have hoped for.

07-11-2011
tfs star

Is there a promo for the Christmas special yet?

07-11-2011
trendsetter

I don't think any of us expect anything too ground breaking from Downton now do they? What it does give us is wonderful characters that we have all got to know, I'm quite happy to have an hour a week, where I just get to sit back and not have to work to hard to watch something. I don't care that I'm not left wowed every single week, watching a brilliant cast turn in fantastic performances is enough for me.
It was always intended to be three series from what I know and every story has a beginning, a middle and an end. I always felt series one was about getting know these people and establishing relationships. This series, the middle, has been about putting obstacles in place and seeing how it challenges our characters. Series three being the end (and I don't think it will go to a fourth) will surely see things resolve.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton