How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
On the contrary. He didn't blackmail her, he struck a deal with her. When she originally presented her problem to him, he told her that she could pay him by giving him her hand in marriage and she agreed. It's her fault that she accepted without being sure and it's her fault that the deal collapsed. So the problem is she's thinking with her heart and he's thinking with his head. Naturally, I would feel more sorry for him.
But I agree totally about the feelings (or the lack of) they had for each other.
I don't think blackmail and "striking a deal" are mutually exclusive. And the blackmail part refers to him threatening (even physically) that backing out of their deal would lead to him exposing the Turkish Bang Incident.

I don't feel as much pity for him because the way he acquired his fiancee was shady at best. OTOH, she had her marital possibilities squashed because of a certain Turkish gentleman taking liberties and because that particular time period didn't look too kindly on not-so-virtuous women (even when it wasn't their fault!). I can't judge her for doing what she could to protect herself from being vilified - or deciding that one-two month's of unhappiness wasn't worth an eternity of misery (as Matthew put it) in the end.

28-12-2011
fashion insider

And actually, I think it was more Mary who thought with her head - agreeing to marry. It's when she's backing out, that she's thinking with her heart. But for Carlisle, it's the opposite. He doesn't expose Mary (which would sell papers) because he fancies himself in love with her - so he's clearly thinking with his heart, not head. Only after having lost Mary, does he think with his head - how can he benefit from this anyway? And if Carlisle does decide to expose Mary, it's clearly within "his right" and Mary was given sufficient warning. So it might be justified, but it's by no means a sympathetic act.

29-12-2011
V.I.P.

I marathoned the whole show in two days, when does season 3 start?!
I was skeptical but gave it a chance because of all the appraisal, which is so well deserved

29-12-2011
tfs star

Oh this is great, I just realised there is a Downton Abbey thread here, so happy about it. ^I believe filming season 3 starts the end? of January and it will air in September 2012 in the UK.

Well all I wanted to say is, that for the Dutch fans, tomorrow at Nederland 2 the Christmas special will air from 20:20 - 22:00 o'clock. So excited! Love it cause we are only 5 days behind with the UK broadcast!

Credit: tvgids.nl.

Last edited by twnv; 29-12-2011 at 11:08 AM.
29-12-2011
V.I.P.

^Thanks for the info

29-12-2011
backstage pass

You guys are making me so jeaous! I am waiting on pins and needles for the US PBS airing of season 2 to start on Jan. 8th! CAN'T WAIT! Also, am I right in thinking the Christmas special will air as the final ep of the second season here in the US? Just need reminding!

29-12-2011
V.I.P.

^you can always download the eps or watch them online specially since the US airing is edited and all that, did they cut scenes/episodes of season two as well?

I just saw the Christmas Special, and yes itīs the second season finale.

30-12-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^Thanks for the info
My pleasure I can post more information later about that 3rd season. Here is a nice facebook site, however it includes huge spoilers: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Downt...16020848414660
Seems the Christmas special is also viewable online!

Yeah it is possible to watch it online, links for season 2:
http://otseries.info/category/downton-abbey-season-2/
and for episode 8, you better follow this link:
http://www.vidbux.com/sagrc19gxni1 (seems to be different from the one uploaded at otseries.info).
Enjoy!
Credits: facebook.com, otseries.info and vidbux.com.

Counting down, 20 mins before the special begins!!!

Hmm just curious, hope this post won't get deleted, thought I wasn't suppose to direct link, or is that only with pictures and forums. Hope that link of facebook is here to stay (unsure about linking to facebook).

Last edited by twnv; 30-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.
30-12-2011
fashion icon

^Also, if anyone wants to watch Downton Abbey online I'd recommend Sidereel.com too. I've found that people upload the episodes soon after the episode airs and they are pretty good quality too.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^you can always download the eps or watch them online specially since the US airing is edited and all that, did they cut scenes/episodes of season two as well?

I just saw the Christmas Special, and yes itīs the second season finale.
The producers of the show was the one that edited the U.S version and they said they wouldn't do that for season 2 of the show.

31-12-2011
V.I.P.

OMG, I can't wait to watch the new season this week! It's been hell staying out of this thread!!

31-12-2011
tfs star

^where are you from that you have to wait until you can watch it this week? I can now read all the comments cause I've seen it yesterday. Was nice though!

31-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnv View Post
^where are you from that you have to wait until you can watch it this week? I can now read all the comments cause I've seen it yesterday. Was nice though!
PBS doesn't start airing the second season until this Sunday, Jan. 8th, here in the US.

Also, I'm always wary of downloading things online--the quality is usually low and you run the risk of viruses and stuff. I wish I knew of a SAFE site that had the latest TV episodes in HD. For free--that's important.

31-12-2011
V.I.P.

^to download? eztv.it
season 2 in HD, proved safe

01-01-2012
tfs star

[QUOTE=randhrshipper1;10095239]
PBS doesn't start airing the second season until this Sunday, Jan. 8th, here in the US.

Sorry I read it as if you then were able to see the Christmas special, sorry about that. All I can say is enjoy it, which you obviously will do!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton