How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2012
V.I.P.

^when I was hearing about the show for the first time but wasn´t interested I always read "DownTOWN" on a glance, later on when I decided to give it a go I was like "Ahhhh it´s DownTON!"

09-01-2012
tfs star

Haha that DowntoWn I was also having that 'problem'. Googling it and thinking, something is going wrong, ohh it's downton;P So haha you def. weren't the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
^I'll talk about it with you, even though I already saw the whole season. I'm re-watching it with my sister and mom who haven't seen the season yet. So it's interesting to see what they freakout over. My sister won't admit that she loves the show but secretly she does. And she likes to call it "Downtown Abbey" just to annoy me...and jokingly we sometimes sing, "When you're alone and life is making you lonely You can always go - downtown...." I guess my family is weird.
^Haha I love your family, it's a great way to take things in perspective right, just this super funny DA song

I think Thomas is just being Thomas.... at time's you feel a sorry for him but overall you just want to tell him to stop being so smug. Even the Crawley's aren't that pompous! Also, I have to give a shout out to my one of my favorite characters, Cousin Violet, I love that she's back with more snappy one-liners! Seriously she always has my mother, sister and I in stitches of laughter!
^Yes Thomas, well I totally dislike him as well, even though I felt truely sorry for him during season 2 for stuff I won't say at the moment haha. People who will watch season 2 def. find out. For once then I was like, poor Thomas, but well you have been such a djerk, it's payback time hehe.

^I so agree, I watched the show with my mom and I already saw a view parts of the Christmas special before it aired in the Netherlands. I was already warning my mom for an amazing one liner and she had to laugh as well. I love her so much, she is insanely funny and it keeps getting better Hope she will continue to make us burst in laughter in season 3!!

Don't think I've mentioned it before but gosh what a mean girls were those Crawleys sisters at season 1 right? I was like, I'm not sure what the fuzz is about with this tv serie, they're too mean to like the show haha. Later on I understood what Mary was going through and she does have a heart even though she acts as if she doesn't have one. She really is more caring and a good person as you might think she is, compared to season 1. That was a really eye opener for me and I started to like Mary and dislike Lavinia hahaha. I totally love Sybil as well, good girl but rebellish as well. She has courage!

And I am now so obsessed with the DA fanvideos I'm caring them around at my mobile to keep listening to the music whenever I can! To be honest, I was even thinking this morning, I'm so glad we have tv series as these ones, like the Jane Austen movies (and DA), to realise what women went through. The voting, the behaviour etc. So glad I don't live in those time periods!

Last edited by twnv; 09-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.
09-01-2012
backstage pass

The season 2 premiere was wonderful! It's clear LOTS of drama is going to go down for all of the characters before the end of the season. I felt SOOOOO bad for Anna! Bates had better get himself out of that situation with his horrible wife ASAP! And I think Mary and Matthew will be together at the end of this season--I've just got a feeling. And Maggie Smith is just the best thing ever! SO glad I managed to avoid spoilers!

10-01-2012
fashion icon

[URL="http://feministryangosling.tumblr.com/post/15652795853#notes-container[/URL]

I saw this picture on tumblr and couldn't resist showing it on this thread. Especially because it combines two of my loves Downton Abbey and Ryan Gosling. Also, this "Hey girl..." is so spot on and interesting to think about the feminist (or not so feminist) side to Downton Abbey.

V.I.P.

MY GOD..I thought Melissa Tammerijn was playing Anna in the play!(source: models.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34621-800w.jpg (123.7 KB, 1 views)

V.I.P.

Is there anywhere to stream the episodes like youtube? FanPop used to do it, but it doesn't look like they do anymore.

I was trying to find an mpeg version as well for a media player like windows, quicktime, whatever. Any help?

14-01-2012
V.I.P.

^Hope this helps. You have to download a plugin though...

http://www.cuevana.tv/#!/series/4105/downton-abbey

17-01-2012
V.I.P.

So, I jumped up to episode 6 where Matthew is paralyzed (yeah, I know that won't last long) and Carlisle just snagged Carson for Mary and threatened her. Now, I know we're supposed to see him as the super-villain, but I can't hate him. He doesn't want to be made into a fool, which is understandable and also, he did help Mary and her family a lot by keeping that story on lock. I also think he does love her because his jealousy isn't coming form nowhere. Maybe more happens later and he becomes a huge douche, but it would be exciting to see Mary live a more glamorous, new money life.

18-01-2012
tfs star

An interview at the red carpet:

Youtube.com, pressassociation

22-01-2012
tfs star

And another video with an interview:

YouTube, aube74.

30-01-2012
tfs star

MacLaine, the 77-year-old American actress who also has six Emmy awards and seven golden globes, will be joining the cast of Downton when they begin filming the third series next month.

She will play a new character, Martha Levinson, who is the mother of the Countess of Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern).

Martha Levinson has been created by writer Julian Fellowes as a sparring partner for the imperious Dowager Countess, played by the equally imperious Dame Maggie Smith.

Laura Mackie, the director of drama at ITV, said, 'It is so exciting to have an actress of Shirley MacLaine's stature joining our brilliant Downton Abbey cast for series three and a tribute to the show's success on both sides of the Atlantic.'

MacLaine is the sister of actor Warren Beatty, and has starred in more than 60 films.

She made her film debut in Alfred Hitchcock's The Trouble with Harry in 1955 and was nominated for five Academy Awards before she finally won the Best Actress award for her performance in James L Brooks's Terms of Endearment in 1983. MacLaine last appeared in Richard Linklater's comedy Bernie, where she starred opposite Jack Black.

Downton Abbey, which follows life above and below stairs in a country house in Yorkshire between 1912 and 1920, has proved a huge success in the UK with over 11.6 million viewers tuning in to watch a special episode broadcast on Christmas Day.

But the series has also been a hit in the United States, with 4.2 million viewers watching the first episode of the second series on US TV network PBS.

American TV critics have also been enthusiastic. The New York Post awarded the first episode four stars, saying that the series 'seamlessly moves between the horrors of war and the gentility of life in the show’s titular 100-room manor.'

Series three of Downton Abbey will be broadcast on ITV1 in September.

Credits: telegraph.co.uk and facebook.com/Downton Abbey Series 3.2012.

Interviews about Upstairs, Downstairs and DA and more, perhaps interesting to take a look at:

Credit: facebook, Downton Abbey Series 3.2012.

Last edited by twnv; 30-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.
31-01-2012
tfs star

Some very interesting chats with Dan Stevens and Hugh Bonneville. Also an interview article with Michelle Dockery.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...t.html#stevens
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...onneville.html

More live chats to come:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...son2_chat.html

Article interview with Michelle Dockery:
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...F18fJWuwtj6c3M

Credits: facebook, Downton Abbey Series 3.2012, pbs.org and nypost.com.

31-01-2012
fashion insider

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...80U0XD20120131

How crazy is this? (in a good way) All the TV programmes have been talking about this in the UK.

31-01-2012
V.I.P.

Michelle Dockery needs to be nominated for all the awards next season rather than Elizabeth or there is no justice!

03-02-2012
tfs star

Here are some new videos, unfortunately due to right restrictions I can't see them. Can anyone from the UK perhaps find them somewhere else or upload them at youtube?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...CampaignId=104

Also I haven't seen this old video of S1:

YouTube, BBCEntertainment.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton