How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2012
tfs star

I just finished the second season, and I loved it. If you are in doubt, go for it, it´s lovely.

13-04-2012
fashion icon

Some spoilers for S3:
Quote:
‘Downton Abbey 3′ preview: Life, death and Shirley MacLaine
What can “Downton Abbey” fans expect when the PBS series starts its third season in January?

“Matthew and Mary do get married,” ”Masterpiece” executive producer Rebecca Eaton said Wednesday at a Winter Park party. She previewed the British drama, which is in production, for supporters of WUCF TV, Central Florida’s new PBS station.

In the new “Downton” season, everyone is waiting for the arrival of the mother of Cora (Elizabeth McGovern), a character played by Oscar-winner Shirley MacLaine. They’re waiting for MacLaine’s character because the British family, especially Violet (Oscar-winner Maggie Smith), needs money again, Eaton said.

“There are some wonderful scenes between Maggie and Shirley MacLaine — Shirley MacLaine being as ditsy as ever,” Eaton said. “And Maggie barely restraining her sneer in having to deal with this American. Maggie Smith is a handful, it’s true. She’s very difficult. She knows her worth, and she’s tricky on the set, but she delivers when the time comes.”

Eaton supplied more teases: “Somebody will be born, and somebody will die, somebody pretty key in the cast, unfortunately not going to make it. It’s the 1920s now.”

Eaton said she originally passed on “Downton Abbey” because she didn’t believe American viewers would want to see another take on “Upstairs, Downstairs.”

“Thankfully, no one else in this country snapped it up,” Eaton said. “Then I heard that Maggie Smith had been cast to be in it and I thought, ‘We have to do it.’ Because she, like Judi Dench, like Eileen Atkins — there are a few British actors, if they’re in it, I want it [on 'Masterpiece'] because I just think they’re going to be good.”

So “Masterpiece” joined as a co-producer. “Nobody had any idea it would take off the way it did,” Eaton said.

The second season of “Downton” was “the biggest thing that’s happened to ‘Masterpiece’ in 25 years,” Eaton said.

blogs.orlandosentinel.com

trendsetter

It's easy to guess who will be born and who will die.

backstage pass

^Well, yeah, Sybil's child will be born. Bates BETTER NOT be the one who dies! I'd hate to say goodbye to Maggie Smith but Violet is getting old. I'm hoping the "key" someone who dies might be Thomas or O'Brien. SO excited to see a wedding on the show--and it's Matthew and Mary's!!!!

14-04-2012
we could have had it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by randhrshipper1 View Post
^Well, yeah, Sybil's child will be born. Bates BETTER NOT be the one who dies! I'd hate to say goodbye to Maggie Smith but Violet is getting old. I'm hoping the "key" someone who dies might be Thomas or O'Brien. SO excited to see a wedding on the show--and it's Matthew and Mary's!!!!
+1. O'Brien has a few redeeming qualities. Thomas is just awful.

14-04-2012
fashion icon

Although who knows, Julian Fellows might decide to kill off an unexpected character just to get people riled up and talking. I've herd some people saying that Branson's going to die, especially now that he's a journalist and it's the beginning of the fight for Irish independence. I REALLY hope this isn't true! What will Sybil do without her husband? And what will us viewers do without this lovely Irish man gracing our screens? But at the same time, Violet does seem like a likely answer too (as much as I hate to say it). What will we do without our snappy one-liners???? Anyways, I think it'll be a good season, can't wait to see what's in-store at our favorite house.

backstage pass

^Oh, Branson dying would be SAD!! I hope Fellows doesn't do that either. I wonder if Shirley Maclaine will get her share of great lines? Seeing her and Maggie together is going to be priceless!

15-04-2012
Looking Up

omg spoilers you guys! Can you please post in white?

16-04-2012
trendsetter

Someone has asked to be killed off.

fashion icon

^ Ugh. I will get upset if they kill my fave character.

But if they kill Branson, I won't mind. I couldn't care less for his character.

fashion elite

Now i officially can join the thread since i watched the first season in 2 days, i might be late, but in Chile everything gets late, and it was started to be broadcasted on national tv a few weeks ago. I download it anyway, since it sucks without the british accent.

What i love the most, is that the characters are so sublime and sincere, there's drama, but without escaping to unreal situations. Everything in it's place

Fashion Designer

I can't wait to see the new costumes....They are in the 1920's now

V.I.P.

saw this on nymag.com ahh, September's just too far away.

V.I.P.

^ loved it.

fashion elite

That was quite funny.

"Bitch Please!" to Grandma Violet ahahah hilarious.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton