How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-10-2012
V.I.P.

That last ep had some great dark comedy in it. When Isabelle says, "I believe Cousin Robert is referring to the fact that Ethel was a prostitute."

The look on Cora's face! I could not stop laughing. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

28-10-2012
fashion insider

I love Cora. She seems so down to earth.

06-11-2012
V.I.P.

Love, love, loved the whole season! Also, loved Bates getting a clue at the end that there are consequences to always being the nice guy. He overplayed his hand a bit and is now stuck with someone who isn't exactly trustworthy.

06-11-2012
trendsetter

I really want to get into this show, is it too late or would I still be able to catch up with everyone?

06-11-2012
tfs star

^^Agree Luxxx, Bates overdid it, really.

Lady Godiva, It´s only three seasons with very few episodes, and now there are no new ones until next year, so you definitely should catch up in the meantime. You´ll love this show.

To everyone....No Christmas special this year?

06-11-2012
fashion icon

^There is a christmas special, I just don't think they've shown a preview for it yet.

So, I actually have to admit, I stopped watching the show, after they killed off Lady Sybil. Maybe I'm a bit melodramatic, but I sort of lost interest when they did that. I do plan on watching the rest of the season at some point, most-likely when it actually airs in America. But for now, I just don't really care about the show as much, maybe I'll like it better after I've taken some time off from watching it.

front row

this wasnt my favorite season but it was good overall
rob james collier did an excellent job this season, he deserves all the awards!!! i've seen some interviews of him and he is really funny!!

V.I.P.

I FINALLY had the time to catch up with this season and had a proper marathon yesterday. I feel like Downton Abbey's somehow more exciting watching all the episodes at once, I did the same with season 1 and loved it, watched the episodes weekly with season 2 and it hardly met my expectations because it's all so spaced out when it isn't such a fast-paced plot, so I think I'll be sticking to more marathons in the future.

I was not disappointed at all. Lady Sybil's departure definitely felt wrong but at the same time, it felt like the kind of traumatic, too young loss that would happen in those years.. it's actually one of the things that I love about the show, that all the events and the way the characters experience life and their ideas seems accurate... you can actually relate to them despite how they're conditioned by the time they got to live in.

Also love how Edith's becoming more dimensional and went from being the most uptight to being the one that will likely embrace the more liberal 1920s.

Oh and I skipped Bates' scenes several times. Most annoying character in the show.

As for Thomas.. .. had he born 100 years later the poor guy. And the way they handle the situation at Downton is hard to believe actually.. they would've let the police take him.

fashion insider

^ I agree! Even today most of the world is intolerant towards LGBT people and this show is based about a century back so it was pretty hard to believe. I just started watching Downton Abbey from season 3 and now I'm obsessed with it. I don't know what happened in the previous seasons but I was surprised that they portrayed an aristocratic family of that time as tolerant, open-minded people, that they would treat their servants so well. Anyway, I have come to love the storyline, the characters, the actors, the costumes, the set especially the Earl's house and I can't wait for The Christmas Special

03-12-2012
fashion insider

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ason-four.html

Is Dan Stevens not returning for season 4? If this is true then it is very disappointing. His character is one of the best on the show and I was starting to crush on him! The kiss that Matthew and Mary share with their eyes closed is one of the most romantic scene I've ever seen

Last edited by Maximilian S; 03-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.
03-12-2012
Some Like It Hot

There does seem to be a Christmas Special this year, I believe I saw a snippet of it the other day.

tfs star

Video with on set pieces:
http://www.rtl.nl/xl/#/u/79e05345-49...f-3d7d3e9d24cb
rtl.nl.

08-12-2012
Some Like It Hot

Spoiler;
Quote:
It is Downton but not quite as we know it.

This year the Crawley family and a few of their best loved servants are leaving Downton Abbey behind and heading to Scotland for a break.

The ITV1 show is expected to be one of the most popular on Christmas Day with an estimated audience of 10 million.

Only the BBC’s seasonal edition of Call the Midwife, which airs immediately before it at 7.30pm on the same day, is expected to beat it in the ratings. In the two hour ITV1 special, Lord and Lady Grantham and their family visit their Scottish cousins at Duneagle Castle, accompanied by servants John Bates, his wife Anna, and O’Brien.

This is the home of Lady Rose, played by newcomer Lily James, who was sent home in the last episode of series three after her dalliance with a married man.

Insiders said viewers would see tensions build up between the two tribes and there is even the suggestion of a new romance for Lady Edith.

And in a bid to fully embrace life in the Highlands viewers will see the men of the family deer-stalking, fly-fishing and out on shooting trips.

The special was filmed at Inveraray Castle on Loch Fyne in Argyll – the area is already hugely popular with tourists because of the idyllic landscape but is expected to enjoy a boom once the programme airs.

Executive producer Gareth Neame said: ‘While the cat’s away, the mice will play. The Granthams do not live at Downton Abbey twelve months of the year. They would go to London for the summer season and also go away on holidays like this.

‘And when that happens the domestic staff of Downton would remain. What will they get up to while the family is away?’

The special will also show life back at Downton Abbey where butler Carson is desperately trying to keep the servants in check.

But the arrival of a country carnival in the village means many sneak off to enjoy the fun of the fair.

It is understood that there may also be some romance for downtrodden cook Mrs Patmore with another villager known as Tufton.

The last series of Downton Abbey had a mixed response from critics, but pulled in more than nine million viewers each episode.

Last year Downton Abbey’s Christmas special pulled in 8 million and was beaten by EastEnders on the day.

Traditionally it is the soaps that fight to win the highest ratings of Christmas day, but both EastEnders and Coronation Street have suffered dwindling audiences in the past year.

This year the real battle will be between Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey.

BBC executives moved its 75 minute seasonal special forward in a bid to avoid a clash with its ITV1 rival.

The final schedule sees Coronation Street and Call the Midwife go head to head at 7.30pm, and EastEnders will broadcast at 8.45pm – the same time as Downton Abbey.

The first series of Call the Midwife, which features Vanessa Redgrave, Miranda Hart, and Jenny Agutter, was a surprise success for the BBC when it aired in January.

The drama is based on the late Jennifer Worth’s gritty trilogy of memoirs about life and midwifery in London’s East End in the 1950s, and pulled in more than 8.5 million viewers a week.

Viewers’ will see a heart-wrenching and heart-warming festive special which tackles teen pregnancy, the horrors endured by those surviving the workhouse, and child mortality.
*Dailymail.co.uk

V.I.P.

I wonder will mary ever have a baby with Matthew, I hope the playwright can make that happen asap lol
Posted via Mobile Device

09-12-2012
fashion icon

^Well...I've herd some speculation that she might be pregnant during the x-mas special! That would be adorable. It will be interesting to see which show wins in the ratings, Call the Midwife or Downton Abbey. Personally, as a fan of both shows, I wouldn't complain either way. Though, Doctor Who might overshadow them both, especially since it's the introduction of a new companion! Goodness, it looks like I'll be watching a lot of television on Christmas (not that it really matters for me since it's not my holiday)!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton