How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-09-2011
fashion icon

^Totally agree with you on that one. Carson could have been seriously ill but all Edith cared about was her dress. Someone ought to teach her how to treat people nicely. I would have loved it if Mary had slapped Edith because she really does care for Carson. But I think everyone was appalled by Edith's behavior.

27-09-2011
fashion icon

Oh I forgot to add, I have a question that I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. I was a bit confused about what happened to Mrs. Patmore's nephew. How did he die exactly? The clip I was watching at the time was a bit crackly so I don't think I properly herd what was said. Either way, all I could figure out was that it was awful.

V.I.P.

^ unless I got it wrong, I'm 99% sure it was treason, his own army shot him.

fashion icon

^Ahh okay. Well now that makes sense. It just goes to show that people do pretty crazy things during war.

V.I.P.

i've been meaning to watch this series for awhile and i got to finish the entire season plus the season premiere over the weekend (some serious marathon-ing involved, yes) and i'm just hooked and i can't help but notice how well balanced the whole plot/storyline is despite having such a big cast and various arcs all over the place. it's a very neat series, and i mean that in the most literal sense; it's extremely well edited as everyone gets their fair share of screentime despite the plot being a little Marycentric. plus with so many serious topics being highlighted it would've been difficult for Americans not to exacerbate a series this tremendous, storywise and executionwise. thankgod for them Brits

technicalities aside i seem to love the servants more than the Crawleys to be honest, Anna especially is very pleasing character, and why oh why must that wretched Mrs. Bates come into the picture, someone smite that woman please and with the Crawley folk naturally i like Sybil the most, and the Dowager Countess Violet, what a headbitch, but with heart. i also thought Mary was full of herself in the first few episodes but i'm glad they managed to make her even out. and Edith, ugh i don't even bother

i do have a question though, cause i understand that there are 8 episodes in the UK cut and only 7 in the US version.. did they cut an episode of Sybil debuting in London, and Mary-Matthew finalizing whatever it was from Sybil's ball, from the US version? since their London trip/activities were mentioned in season1's finale and yet i had no idea what they were talking about

trendsetter

Regarding Mrs Patmores nephew Lord Grantham discovered he had been shot for cowardice, not treason, he'd obviously got there and refused to fight or had been seen trying to do something along the lines of what Thomas had done to get out the trenches. Grantham told Mrs Patmore the truth but suggested it went no further and and just to tell people he died.

28-09-2011
fashion insider

^^There are only 7 episodes in the UK - unless you include season 2? I read that the US version wasn't cut that much, so you don't need to worry,

28-09-2011
Looking Up

Lady Mary is by far the wittiest character on the show. She's so smart and confident, and I like that she learns from her mistakes. She shows character development. And she's totally cute

28-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advo View Post
^^There are only 7 episodes in the UK - unless you include season 2? I read that the US version wasn't cut that much, so you don't need to worry,
oh really, only 7 episodes? cause page1 of this thread said there were 8 in all but anyhow, i did get to watch all of S1's 7 episodes but i thought that there was a storyline missing somewhere since the season finale's story resumed after the Crawleys' supposed trip to London where Sybil made her debut, and i never saw that part in episode 6 so i thought it was missing.. well i hope they didn't cut off that portion if ever, i sure don't wanna miss anything in this series :p

and Squizree i always thought Lady Mary looked abit like Anouck Lepere. a prettier version, anyway

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Lady Mary is by far the wittiest character on the show. She's so smart and confident, and I like that she learns from her mistakes. She shows character development. And she's totally cute
Heh, I think the Dowager Countess is hilariously witty too (or is it unintentional witty? ) but otherwise, I agree completely. Mary's my absolute favourite for her many, many layers. I love how she's developed since episode 1, yet still in many ways is still the same. I remember how she apologised to Carson for invading the servants' rooms because she genuinely felt she had behaved wrongly.

^
You didn't miss anything regarding Sybil's debut. It was not in the show at all. I guess, because it's called Downton Abbey, they are bypassing other locations - but mostly, it's probably from a budgeting perspective. I read that each episode costs £1 million already.

Last edited by advo; 28-09-2011 at 06:26 AM.
28-09-2011
V.I.P.

The war scenes must cost so much already. And all the dresses ofcourse. I read some pieces can only be worn once. The epitome of vintage. Take that hipsters.

28-09-2011
Looking Up

^ And Edith's dress gets gravy spilt on it LOL

28-09-2011
fashion insider

The dresses <3

I love Mary's wardrobe the best. It's not just her dresses, but her hats and other tailored pieces. They're stunning!

28-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
^ And Edith's dress gets gravy spilt on it LOL
Oh my, the horror of it. But yeah, I would definetly be on my way killing someone if they ever spilled something on a McQueen/Givenchy dress. Good thing I don't have any.

My absolute favorite was Sybil's trouser outfit in episode 4. The headpiece was gorgeous too.
Though the outfits worn in episode 2 were pretty stellar too. Especially Edith's.

28-09-2011
V.I.P.

A quiz to check out which Downton character you'd be: http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes...eroine-are-you

I'm... I'm Lady Edith
Quote:
You are quiet and practical. You are protective of your family and your position. You want to carve your own happiness away from the spotlight of your sisters.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton