How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2011
Looking Up

Omg!! What a fantastic episode! To be honest I find that most of the show's romantic relationships quite pathetic, more than interesting. Everything is too fairytale, but I suppose that's what's popular. Except Mary/Matthew of course, their relationship is very realistic and the situation they're in is all about politics and power, and that's really what it's about.
And Edith has gone soft! I kinda liked her when she was the one we all loved to hate

Lady Mary is still my favourite character. She shows some real character development. Thomas' and O'Briens' scheming is all too entertaining, it keeps things spicy.

I can already dread the day when Downton Abbey will finish

09-10-2011
V.I.P.

Just finished watching tonight's episode! .. things are starting to unfold FINALLY (only two steady episodes, I know, I'm a complainer!). Seeing Matthew show up at the gathering made my heart all warm and fuzzy .. and he finally looks like he cares and knows and wants to do something about Mary's feelings.
I honestly could not care less for Mr. Bates at this point,
I'm already so tired of the drama surrounding him and him being so quiet, martyr-esque and apologetic.. he's old enough to have found a bit of malice in his life and the ability to use it in a clever way instead of just bowing down to her ex-wife's strategies.

I'd also get rid of the chauffeur, he sounds way too radical, misinformed and not at all modern. He keeps sounding younger than Sybil, while Sybil seems to be getting more mature in each episode. I hope they even up his character or just let him go..

(Love that I sound so worked up for a fictional story )

I'm aching now to see episode 5, PLEASE LEAK!!!!

fashion icon

This episode was so good! Quite eventful I must say. Also, I was wondering, how many episodes will this season be?
I was so worried throughout the episode about Matthew and William, even though I was positive they couldn't die. At the very worst they would come back injured. Because without the two of them, well especially Matthew, the story would really suck. And I loved when they showed up at the concert. Mary's face was priceless... you could really tell she still loves Matthew even though she knows she wont end up with him (well she thinks she wont). Poor Daisy... she really needs to learn how to speak up for herself and tell William she can't marry him. And I'm still rooting for Branson to win Sybil over even though in this episode he was a bit selfish and perhaps naive about what reality is like. Sybil has such a good head on her shoulders and she's the only one of the sisters to have not done something rash, so her time's bound to come (yeah... it's pretty clear I want her and Branson together, isn't it?).

I really love how Julian Fellows writes his stories, he's a master at intertwining everything and making it so every character's story is told. With Downton Abbey in particular I really feel like there are no minor characters, everyone is important. Very few shows have succeeded in achieving this. And MulletProof, there is no shame in getting so worked up about a fictional story, I'm the same way!

V.I.P.

^ ahh you guys are making me look forward too much to e4, i've only just watched episodes 2 and 3 earlier and it's been very exciting so far, this whole war plotline has really made it more interesting and i do agree that Branson's proving to be more of an oaf than the opposite, almost as war-addled as Mr. Lang is.. and i was turned off by Lady Edith in e2 though it was nice and amusing, how the writers immediately redeemed her in e3.. what a piteous character, really, seesawing from one half decent act unto the next abhorrent one. funny cause i can empathize with her, being the second child and all, but goodness i still wouldn't resort to her extremes. i hope she goes on being better in the next few episodes.

and i love how Lady Mary's becoming more and more Sybil-like here in s2 though i wish she'd stand up for herself and not pretend to be all dainty and gracious whenever Matthew's near, the story could use abit of a happy ending when it comes to the love angles, and not a skewed relationship plot like that of Daisy and William

Quote:
With Downton Abbey in particular I really feel like there are no minor characters, everyone is important. Very few shows have succeeded in achieving this.
this is what i first noticed, and what i love about this show. and i'm so hooked

tfs star

The concert scene was so sweet. The preview for next week looks good. I've been desperately trying to google some spoilers for the rest of the season to no avail grrrr.

10-10-2011
trendsetter

Ah, the 'oh God I have to sing?' episode! Maggie Smith's face was priceless. I mean it from the point of view of the actors too, I know Dan wasn't looking forward to it! I've said before I try to skim to avoid reading anything too much when I get the scripts but I can tell you a little, probably not too exciting for you tidbit. We're going to earn more about Mrs Hughes' backstory before the series is over. I have to say with regard to Julian's writing, he's always had a knack for handling multiple characters, look at Gosford Park. If you're interested he's writing a drama about the Titanic for next year's 100 year anniversary, I think, they're showing it over the four consecutive nights leading up to April 12th, the drama will mirror the journey & events leading up to the sinking. sounds really interesting.

Last edited by littlepaperstars; 10-10-2011 at 07:03 AM.
10-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Just finished watching tonight's episode! .. things are starting to unfold FINALLY (only two steady episodes, I know, I'm a complainer!). Seeing ... ..

I honestly could not care less for Mr. Bates at this point...

I'd also get rid of the chauffeur...

(Love that I sound so worked up for a fictional story )

I'm aching now to see episode 5, PLEASE LEAK!!!!
(deleted the spoilers so they aren't visible in the quote)

Really? I thought the opposite, that he was over Mary? I'm been looking and looking for signs that he's not. IDK, maybe it's because it's so NOT subtle from Mary?

Agree on Bates. Yawn. They had a cute story but all the drama seems so artificial.

Again, agree on Branson. I know they are now alluding to Sybil having feelings but before that, I was serious WTF at the guy. Announcing feelings and waiting for her to run off with you?!!

10-10-2011
fashion icon

^Actually, if you noticed when he was preparing to go into battle Matthew took the stuffed dog that Mary gave him rather then a picture of Lavinia. So to me I think that hints Matthew still has feelings for Mary. Also I think he's still in love with Mary, to me it's just the way he looks at her that hints at his feelings. It's so obvious Mary's still head over heels for him but I think its a nice change because before she was so wrapped up in her feelings she couldn't admit them.
I have a feeling next weeks episode is going to be a major turing point in the story. I hope I'm right at least.... it looks like quite a lot will happen.

fashion insider

Hmm, but I guess it's easier to bring with him than a framed picture?

I just don't see anything from him at all regarding Carlisle.

I guess I'm being a bit of a pessimist. But I don't want it to be so one-sided. It doesn't help that I don't actually know why or how he ended up with Lavinia.

10-10-2011
fashion icon

^Yeah that is a bit odd... we really don't know much about Lavinia or how they met (other then it was in London) but I'm sure that'll be explained in good time. I actually don't mind Lavinia other then the fact that she stands in the way of Mary/Matthew. Also, in one of the earlier episodes they mentioned Evelyn Napier wanted to come and stay at Downton while he recovered from wounds and I thought it was decided that he was coming. Yet he hasn't been in any of the episodes.
Anyways, hopefully everything works out well. Also, loved when Violet said to Mary, "I am a women, I can be as contrary as I want." So spot on. And She always has such good lines!

tfs star

Thanks for that tidbit littlepaperstars! Not very much has been revealed about that character's backstory thus far so it will be good to hear more

10-10-2011
Looking Up

You guys are KILLING me! That's it, I'm skipping class to watch the 4th episode

11-10-2011
trendsetter

Julian Fellowes said at the Cheltenham Lit Festival that the story about the diplomat dying in Lady Mary's bed is a true story! That two members of a family had two very different accounts of what happened to the unnamed diplomat. One diary entry told how they'd carried him from the Lady's bed back to the room while the other, from a male member of the household, told about the sad passing of a diplomat who was discovered dead in his room in the morning. Makes you wonder what other little parts are based on true events too given Julian's background.

11-10-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Anyways, hopefully everything works out well. Also, loved when Violet said to Mary, "I am a women, I can be as contrary as I want." So spot on. And She always has such good lines!
I would watch the show just for Maggie's delivery of her lines. Also fantastic - Cora's treatment of Isobel. She deserved it!

11-10-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepaperstars View Post
Julian Fellowes said at the Cheltenham Lit Festival that the story about the diplomat dying in Lady Mary's bed is a true story! That two members of a family had two very different accounts of what happened to the unnamed diplomat. One diary entry told how they'd carried him from the Lady's bed back to the room while the other, from a male member of the household, told about the sad passing of a diplomat who was discovered dead in his room in the morning. Makes you wonder what other little parts are based on true events too given Julian's background.
I never would have thought that was based on a true story! I read that Ethel's plot with the the Major was based on a true story too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton