How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-10-2011
fashion icon

I think quite a lot of Downton is based off of true stories or if it isn't then they were certainly plausible. Also I read a fasinating article on a former Countess of Highclere Castle where Downton Abbey is filmed. It seems like scandals at the real Downton Abbey happened too! Wouldn't it be fab if Julian Fellows included one of these stories that happened to the Countess into Downton Abbey? It would be a nod to the history of Highclere Castle and to this interesting lady.
I'm actually really interested to see what they'll do with Ethel's storyline. It would be really interesting to see the topic of abortion come up and if she would have one (even if it was illegal at the time women could sometimes find a doctor who would do it) or if they'll have her keep the baby. Also, I think Ethel's storyline was more common then people realize. Women in service would sometimes become pregnant (and they were often taken advantage of by the wealthy patrons they served too) and then have to deal with the consequences.

Quote:
Highclere Castle, where Downton Abbey is filmed, has been home to the Carnarvon family since 1679. The 8th Earl of Carnavon and his wife live there now, but also allow the property to be opened to the public. One may explore the grounds, hold a banquet, or even use the manse as the backdrop for a wedding. But much like the television series, Highclere Castle has seen its share of scandal and turmoil. It once housed an eccentric abortionist.

The Telegraph reports that between 1895 and 1923, Almina, Countess of Carnarvon ruled Highclere. During this time, there was:

An affair with her husband's best man
Money laundering
An affair with a friend of her son
The mysterious death of her husband after a trip to Egypt, blamed on the Curse of Tutankhamun
Money-grubbing
The decision to open a "high society nursing home" in London
The failure to provide a bill at the end of a guest's stay at said nursing home ("She thought it was bad taste," recalled one grateful patient.)

And, most intriguing:
To boost her income, a new service was added to the menu at Alfred House [in London]. Though pregnancy termination remained illegal in Britain until 1967, a steady trickle of well-to-do female patients were now checking in to the nursing home. The consequence, had Almina been caught, would have been a jail term: instead high society looked the other way. The countess's nephew by marriage, Evelyn Waugh, described it as "Almina's abortionist parlour".

Almina sounds like quite a character; she took a 40-year-old lover when she was 70 and died in 1969 at the age of 93 after choking on a piece of chicken. Be sure and check out the full piece at the link.
http://jezebel.com/5829246/the-color...-downton-abbey

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 11-10-2011 at 07:10 PM.

12-10-2011
backstage pass

Whoa, what fascinating history there! I definitely want to read more about her.

14-10-2011
Looking Up

Omg, the 4th episode is absolutely fantastic. But next week's episode looks SAUCY!!! I'm squealing!

And I think I'm in love with Lady Mary She's such a heroine.

And Ethel! That slut!

Last edited by Squizree; 14-10-2011 at 01:04 AM.
16-10-2011
trendsetter

Oh man. I'd read the scripts and knew what was coming tonight but it still had me in tears! Such fabulous performances.

16-10-2011
tfs star

Oh my goodness. Feeling a bit emotionally drained by that one. They've made Matthew so much lovelier this series.

Looking Up

Holy Sh!t, the Episode 5 is so excellent! In your face Mrs Bates The bitch had it coming. The look on her face was worth a million. And yay for Lady Mary! I'm hopelessly in love with her
I can't believe what's happening with Ethel. It's her fault, but I feel so much pity for her.
The wedding plot between William and Daisy is Totally random and quite silly.
Poor Matthew!! The saddest part wasn't the constant exchange between him, Mary and Lavinia, but the 5 second scene when his mother saw him. That was truly sad.

They are making us wait awfully long for the next episode, it's cruel!

16-10-2011
V.I.P.

Matthew.

For some reason I'm not looking forward to the next episode, it looks too complicated, and I knew Mary's fiance/newspaper man (forgot the name) would do that (or attempt to).

fashion icon

Well this episode had me sobbing throughout. Once the waterworks started I couldn't stop!
I am so sad about William. He was such a good, sweet person. And at least he was happy marrying Daisy. I still feel a bit bad for her but in the end it was the right thing to do I suspect. So, so sad. And as for Matthew I feel really terrible for him as well, I hope he is able to go back to his more charming self and not wallow in self pity forever (although granted he does have the right to feel terrible because what he experienced was awful). That was quite a twist they added to his condition is certainly going to make it interesting to see how everything plays out. As for Mary... I really don't want her to marry that newspaper man. Even if it seems like she owes him now. Basically I just want everything to end up right... meaning she marries Matthew even if they can't have kids. Sybil runs off with Branson which leaves it so that Edith's children (to whomever she marries) become the heirs. Yeah... clearly I spend way too much time thinking about these sort of things!

And what do you mean we have to wait a long time till the next episode... when does it air? I need to see the next episode like NOW! :p

Looking Up

^ Exactly! Waiting another week is just brutal

16-10-2011
fashion icon

^Ahh... okay I was worried that they were going on hiatus for a few weeks. Since I live in the states I'm not exactly watching it on the tv persay... But yes... it's totally brutal having to wait a week till the next episode.

front row

girls where do you watch this series ? which channel?

16-10-2011
fashion icon

^Ermm... I watch it on sidereel.com as thats the only place I've found that I can watch it before it's shown in the states. But once the second season is showing in America it's on PBS. But if you live in England then its shown on ITV on Sunday nights (not sure what time though). Hope that helps a little.

trendsetter

ITV1 9pm.

Thing about Mary and Carlise is even if she tries to back out of the marriage now, he has a hold over her having bought the story so even if it came down to it he can blackmail her. The other thing is we don't really know how bad Matthews spinal injuries are either, they're such tricky things that actually he could recover some "function" in the long run. The Daisy and William thing is not as random as it sounds, there must of been hundreds of girls who did the exact same thing, there were a lot of quickie marriages before men went to the front too. More than anything it meant the girls were considered war widows and got a pension which left them financially secure, it's actually really sweet that Daisy didn't want to because it was dishonest.

17-10-2011
tfs star

Such a heartbreaking ep. Michelle Dockery is a wonderful actress. The next ep looks pretty explosive.

17-10-2011
fashion icon

^ditto
loved the latest episode. best one so far i think.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbey, downton