How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-12-2013
fashion insider

I thought Oprah was locked so I am shocked that the ultimate star ****ers snubbed the most powerful woman in showbiz. Lupita versus Jennifer it is then.

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

^ I didn't even realise she was missing when I first read it earlier. This is a major SNUB. Why would you exclude Oprah who regardless of her media profile has proven to be amazing in this role (according to those who have seen it. I missed it at the cinema unfortunately and will have to wait for a screener).

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post

I feel a bit sorry of Amy Adams, she never quite seems to get the love that she so often deserves. I'm not saying that Jennifer doesn't deserve the praise for this film (since I haven't seen it yet) but still, I was under the impression that Amy's role was much bigger then Jennifer's? Although I guess screen time isn't always equal to the impression that you make on the viewers....
Amy Adams is nominated for Best Actress in a motion picture comedy in the Golden Globes! Although Jenn got Supporting Actress nom..

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

^ Lots of industry people believe that the SAG Awards are more important than the Globes so that would be a reason Amy is getting sympathy for fans. Nikki Finke of Deadline is so against the Globes her rants are quite vicious (and hilarious).

12-12-2013
fashion insider

What's really upsetting about the comedy categories is that most of them aren't comedies. Most of those nominated in that category are dramas with comedic moments.

12-12-2013
V.I.P.

^ From what I've read so far critics are fine with that happening cause it means crap entries like when The Tourist got nominated aren't nominated just to fill a slot.

13-12-2013
V.I.P.

To be honest, I don't think all the dramedies being nominated in the comedy/musical categories is such a bad thing; they would've just nominated terrible comedies, anyway! This year, even the Comedy categories are interesting and have some inspiring choices. There aren't any fillers like usual. The likes of The World's End should've definitely had a look in, though.

And yes, the SAGs are definitely more important because the members overlap with the members of the Academy. There are no members of the Academy in the HFPA. They can just sometimes influence decisions.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 13-12-2013 at 05:20 PM.
16-12-2013
V.I.P.

Broadcast Film Critics Awards ("Critics Choice" )

Best Picture
"American Hustle"
"Captain Phillips"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"Gravity"
"Her"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"Saving Mr. Banks"
"12 Years a Slave"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best Director
Alfonso Cuarón, "Gravity"
Paul Greengrass, "Captain Phillips"
Spike Jonze, "Her"
Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
David O. Russell, "American Hustle"
Martin Scorsese, "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best Actor
Christian Bale, "American Hustle"
Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years a Slave"
Tom Hanks, "Captain Phillips"
Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
Robert Redford, "All Is Lost"

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
Sandra Bullock, "Gravity"
Judi Dench, "Philomena"
Brie Larson, "Short Term 12"
Meryl Streep, "August: Osage County"
Emma Thompson, "Saving Mr. Banks"

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"
Daniel Brühl, "Rush"
Bradley Cooper, "American Hustle"
Michael Fassbender, "12 Years a Slave"
James Gandolfini, "Enough Said"
Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"

Best Supporting Actress
Scarlett Johansson, "Her"
Jennifer Lawrence, "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong’o, "12 Years a Slave"
Julia Roberts, "August: Osage County"
June Squibb, "Nebraska"
Oprah Winfrey, "Lee Daniels’ The Butler"

Best Young Actor/Actress
Asa Butterfield, "Ender’s Game"
Adèle Exarchopoulos, "Blue Is the Warmest Color"
Liam James, "The Way Way Back"
Sophie Nélisse, "The Book Thief"
Tye Sheridan, "Mud"

Best Acting Ensemble
"American Hustle"
"August: Osage County"
"Lee Daniels’ The Butler"
"Nebraska"
"12 Years a Slave"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"August: Osage County"
"Before Midnight"
"Captain Phillips"
"Philomena"
"12 Years a Slave"

Best Original Screenplay
"American Hustle"
"Blue Jasmine"
"Her"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"

Best Art Direction
"Gravity"
"The Great Gatsby"
"Her"
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
"12 Years a Slave"

Best Cinematography
"Gravity"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"Prisoners"
"12 Years a Slave"

V.I.P.

I'm afraid this is the end of the road for Amy Adams. She missed at SAG and now BFCA, even though her film was seen and well liked. Even when as here, there were six nominees in Best Actress, and both of her thus underperforming costars - Bale and Cooper - were nominated, she wasn't able to make the Best Actress lineup. Really strange situation with her. The film has been released to raves, it's doing very well with the precursor awards, Amy has been getting raves for herself and yet she keeps missing almost everywhere. I suppose it's still possible for her to get nominated, but it doesn't look good at the moment.

Dallas Buyers Club is making a late push after having appeared as part of the Ensemble nominees at SAG. I'm still doubtful of its Picture chances though. Especially with the disappointing box office numbers. EDIT. It is interesting to note that it made the Top Ten at five different critics groups in the last couple days. I think that SAG nomination really made people take notice.

Fruitville Station is completely shut out. Actually, none of Weinstein's ponys made much of an impression. He wasn't able to get a Picture nomination. He has been able to get his Actress nominated though (except for Octavia).

Last edited by MyNameIs; 16-12-2013 at 11:31 AM.
17-12-2013
fashion elite

I wouldnt put Amy Adams out. The Academy LOVES her and her movie is getting more and more buzz as the time passes and I think she has a pretty good chance.
I think Adele is (unfortunately) out, so it leaves 6 actresses fighting for 5 spots. One of them is secure (Cate), the other is very close to a lock (Sandra)they other can go either way actualy, being Adams the underdog at this moment.

fashion insider

The thing with Amy is that she's fighting against five actresses that the academy love more than her which is shown in them actually winning an academy award. Cate and Sandra are locked, Meryl is Meryl, Judi is Judi, and Emma has won two oscars.
It sounds like Amy and Emma are fighting for the fifth spot. Emma's reviews have singled her out as the MPV of Saving Mr Banks whereas JLaw has got the best reviews out the cast of American Hustle. Furthermore, if it simply comes down to who is the most entertaining and intriguing at Q&As, Emma has also got that locked.

17-12-2013
V.I.P.

London Film Critics Circle awards - full list in link:

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...-nominations/2

YAY! Finally "Frances Ha" for best feature and Greta Gerwig in best actress category. I guess it took people 'across the pond' to recognize how special this film is. It's much like an "Annie Hall" of today, but even more interesting since it showcases platonic friendship between women in a "romantic" way with huge nods to the French new-wave...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
17-12-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmartinho View Post
I wouldnt put Amy Adams out. The Academy LOVES her and her movie is getting more and more buzz as the time passes and I think she has a pretty good chance.
I think Adele is (unfortunately) out, so it leaves 6 actresses fighting for 5 spots. One of them is secure (Cate), the other is very close to a lock (Sandra)they other can go either way actualy, being Adams the underdog at this moment.
I hope Amy ends up getting nominated, and I guess it's not impossible, but as things look right now, conventional wisdom would tell you she's not going anywhere. It's true that American Hustle is surging, but it has been the last couple weeks. The worst thing for Amy is the fact that the movie and other actors are doing just fine. So it's not like the film's overall performance is surging. It's been doing well from the get go. The fact that BFCA nominated three of Amy's costars - including Bale, who's in just a strong a category as Amy is - and snubbed her is extremely troubling.

Out of the four main precursors, she's now been snubbed by two - SAG and BFCA. Only BAFTAs are left. And even if she gets a BAFTA nod, things are still not looking good for her. In the last ten years, only 2 people got nominated with a GG nomination alone. Two more people got nominated with just GG and BAFTA nominations. Amy's situation is different from people's who make it with little precursor support because she's a leading actress in a widely acclaimed and embraced movie. There's no excuse that people aren't seeing the film or that the film lacks buzz. Maybe the problem is that nobody likes her in it enough to nominate her.

I hope she makes it.

V.I.P.

WOW the London Film Critics noms are interesting. The Brits must not know about August: Osage County yet. And Leo finally got a bit more love.

Hopefully Amy will pull a Rooney (which to me sorry still came out of nowhere to be nominated for GWTDT). She only got a Globe nom before the Oscar. No SAG or BAFTA. Personally I hope she takes Meryl's "spot".

It's a very good, solid year for women which if you think about it is fantastic. Remember the year Sandra won. That was a crap year for women in film. Shame there is no six spot because Amy would have that.

I really need to watch Frances Ha. I keep forgetting I have it.

17-12-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post

Hopefully Amy will pull a Rooney (which to me sorry still came out of nowhere to be nominated for GWTDT). She only got a Globe nom before the Oscar. No SAG or BAFTA. Personally I hope she takes Meryl's "spot".
Mara's nomination was a surprise to most, especially since it came at the expense of Tilda Swinton who had hit every major precursor that year. Not saying Adams can't do the same. One important distinction though, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was a late comer to the game, it wasn't screened till very late and didn't play much of a role with the awards for most of December. American Hustle isn't in that position. So whereas Rooney may have missed all those noms because her film wasn't seen, Amy can't fall back on that excuse.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
awards, film, season