How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2014
backstage pass

Off topic in terms of oscars, but relevant as there is a Derek Jarman retrospective at the BFI going at the moment, I just watched one of Jarman's last film "Blue" and what a masterpiece.

The IMDB synopsis explains the film perfectly with "Against a plain, unchanging blue screen, a densely interwoven soundtrack of voices, sound effects and music attempt to convey a portrait of Derek Jarman's experiences with AIDS, both literally and allegorically, together with an exploration of the meanings associated with the colour blue."

I am speechless as to how to describe the intensity of this truly tour de force of a film.

Last edited by Razzer; 03-03-2014 at 06:38 PM.

03-03-2014
trendsetter

I've seen one Derek Jarman (Jubilee) film, but I found mesmerizing. Netflix has some of his films. Also, Tilda Swinton appears to have been a muse of his (she starred in several of his films).

03-03-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
NPJ, have you seen The Act of Killing? I watched it a few days ago, it's riveting. I'm ashamed to admit that I knew nothing about this subject, but after having seen the documentary, it made me want to do some research about it and the country of Indonesia. It's such a fresh approach to the documentary genre, and the result is inspiring.
No I have not yet seen it, but it's on my watch list. I've read a little on it, so I know the premise and so on. I have to see it!

-----

Razzer I've seen a few of his films. Queer Edward ii, was one I think, and Jubliee too. Don't think i've ever seen Blue. The BFI is great; loved visiting it when I was in the UK last spring.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

04-05-2014
V.I.P.

Tell me your top 10 must see movies ?? I am a huge filmbuff

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, lovers, thread