How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-05-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
in the mood for love - a wong kar wai film i believe.... i watched it for an asian cinema class in college and just fell in love with it... kind of quiet and powerful.. just a beautiful film i think
hero - another film i saw for my asian cinema class... it has those fantasy sword fighting elements but the film is just visually STUNNING, both of these asian films have become favorites of mine i think...
They are visually stunning, and it's no coincidence since Christopher Doyle was the cinematographer on both. Everything he shoots is just . I'm at the point now where I'll just watch a film just because he's the DP on it, even if I care nothing for the director or plot.

Last edited by Gincat; 03-05-2010 at 12:02 AM.

03-05-2010
i'm almost ready..

thanks Chrissy. i do think we have similar taste too. believe it or not i haven't seen a single film on your list! i have some catching up to do, looks like..

i just finished watching Husbands and Wives by woody allen.. very funny, very smart. there were a few lines that really had me in hysterics... i'd recommend this one, it's pretty classic woody allen..

03-05-2010
rising star

my fav films are probably 1) Into the wild 2) Candy

buut.. maybe some of you can recommend some great unique films for me?

blink once. blink twice.

Has anyone seen Tillsammans (Together)?
I absolutely loved this film. After the film was over I couldn't help but sing ABBA's SOS.

trendsetter

For those of you who have Netflix, they just added a bunch of Wong Kar Wai's films to the instant viewer thing. Can't wait to watch Days of Being Wild and Happy Together, again.

Last edited by Gincat; 04-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
04-05-2010
V.I.P.

i finally just watched 'its complicated'

love meryl as usual..

front row

Days of Heaven

04-05-2010
trendsetter

^Love that movie!

06-05-2010
front row

Here are some older "hidden gems" I recommend ... for best viewing experience, don't read too much about them first

Night of the Hunter (1955) [ RT 98% ] - Atmospheric, surreal, suspenseful, and overlooked. Now considered a classic, Charles Laughton's first and only film was mostly dismissed by audiences at the time.
Diabolique (1955) [ RT 96% ] - French crime thriller directed by the great Henri-Georges Clouzot. Remade in 1996 with Sharon Stone and Isabelle Adjani, but check out the original.
The Cranes are Flying (1957) [ RT 94% ] - WWII romance/drama is one of the greatest Soviet films. Amazing pre-steadicam handheld cinematography, winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes.
The Swimmer (1968) [ RT 100% ] - Surprising this movie came out of Hollywood in the 60s. Frank and Eleanor Perry collaborated on many fine movies, this is one of their best efforts. Based on a New Yorker short story, starring Burt Lancaster.

06-05-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxt View Post
Diabolique (1955)[/URL] [ RT 96% ] - French crime thriller directed by the great Henri-Georges Clouzot. Remade in 1996 with Sharon Stone and Isabelle Adjani, but check out the original.
... wonderful choice!

06-05-2010
Stitch:the Hand

i adore diabolique,auxt! excellent suggestion.

06-05-2010
front row

Yeah Clouzot is very good, I've liked everything I've seen by him (all 3 of them ).
This oil rig disaster has me thinking of Wages of Fear.

08-05-2010
trendsetter

adorefaith: have you seen Sideways? I think you might like it. Also I agree with ChrissyM about Stranger Than Fiction, it's not just another Will Ferrell comedy.

It seems I should watch some movies directed by Wong Kar Wai. The only one I've seen until now is My Blueberry Nights, I didn't dislike it but I wasn't crazy about it either.

09-05-2010
i'm almost ready..

oh, My Blueberry Nights was one of his? i disliked that movie...

Sideways...yes!, though i was distracted...i really need to re-watch that one properly.. thanks for the suggestion Mistique

25-07-2010
i'm almost ready..

we need to revive this thread!

i finally got around to watching in the mood for love tonight. to be completely honest this is one of only a handful of films from asian cinema that i have watched, and there is such a different rhythm that it takes me a while to be pulled in.. i found it very slow.. of course, by 'hollywood' standards, or even those of most western cinema.. it is so quiet, which is i think the word chrissy used. definitely takes some getting used to. i found it hard to really be pulled in to the characters.. to invest.. i think culturally there is so much difference and so much to try and understand, as well, that you don't necessarily pick up on intuitively like you might with a film based closer within your own cultural experience.

Anyhow.. the cinematography was indeed beautiful.. and the music was amazing too and by about three quarters of the way through i was much more attached to the whole thing.. i thought the ending scenes (from singapore on, i guess) were particularly superb.

i will try and watch another of his films and see how i feel..

on another note - i saw micmacs today by jean-pierre jeunet (same director as amelie and a very long engagement...both of which i liked).. can't say i liked this one as much.. i found the plot very, very weak. everyone gave great performances though, and visually it was as quirky and fascinating as always. the most interesting part was its commentary on arms and arms trade, really, but i don't think it was developed nearly enough. it could have been much more powerful imo. anyway, not really my style of film overall, but there you go! :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, lovers, thread