How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2010
tfs star

The Scent of Green Papaya - it is one of those slow moving asian films but it is soo beautiful and hypnotic. Give it a chance!
Rosemary's Baby - horror, but fabulous. The best representation in cinema of how a dream feels that I've ever seen.
Naked - nihilistic and dark, but fabulous. It turns the ugly seedy side of London into poetry and has an unforgettable main character.

I could go on and on, there's so many great movies!

25-07-2010
tfs star

a few more

Babette's Feast - lovely!
A High Wind in Jamaica - I haven't seen it since I was a child but have never forgotten it

26-07-2010
girl who fell to earth

i think part of the reason i loved in the mood for love was because i did actually watch it two or three times and wrote a paper about it for the Asian Cinema course I took in college, and we were also getting cultural/historical background information which i think probably helped to contextualize the film for me...
and if you think about sexuality in asian cinema it tends to traditionally be more repressed (which you can see in this film for sure, the sexual magnetism and attraction is definitely kept under wraps and is repressed)
i think it's something that improves every time you watch it...
plus, maggie cheung's clothes!!
how beautiful and sort of rigid were they?! she looks so elegant... and restrained
this movie (and hero which has a more traditional pace from what i can remember... not so slow) really made me fall in love with her...
i think she has the ability to be really magnetic on screen

i need to watch a very long engagement...
was that made before or after amelie? i know audrey tatou is in it, right?

Last edited by ChrissyM; 26-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
26-07-2010
!

yes audrey is in and it was made after amelie. it's a great film

on the subject of Asian cinema, one of my favorites is definitely bright future.a must see

amazon

26-07-2010
trendsetter

I just watched Julie & Julia and I have to say: I've fallen in love. In the movie as in well with Meryl Streep, now I've counted that I've seen four other movies starring Meryl, which are the following:
Manhattan
Lemony Snicket's A series of unfortunate events
Prime
The devil wears Prada

I hope someone could help me to the real gems in her filmography, which ones are a must-see?

26-07-2010
backstage pass

I love her in comedy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098309/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104070/

26-07-2010
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
I just watched Julie & Julia and I have to say: I've fallen in love. In the movie as in well with Meryl Streep, now I've counted that I've seen four other movies starring Meryl, which are the following:
Manhattan
Prime
The devil wears Prada

I hope someone could help me to the real gems in her filmography, which ones are a must-see?
well it's the most recent but i have to say It's Complicated is really worth watching. i don't know if everyone agrees with me but she is stellar in this movie, and honestly the whole movie is quite hilarious - i don't often find hollywood films funny but this one really cracked me up. it's quite touching too, in that corny hollywood way
I know it's not one of her more serious choices where she really shows her chops, but it's definitely worth seeing imo.. i think it's Meryl at her most spirited.. you can just see her radiating joy in so many moments.

26-07-2010
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
i think part of the reason i loved in the mood for love was because i did actually watch it two or three times and wrote a paper about it for the Asian Cinema course I took in college, and we were also getting cultural/historical background information which i think probably helped to contextualize the film for me...
and if you think about sexuality in asian cinema it tends to traditionally be more repressed (which you can see in this film for sure, the sexual magnetism and attraction is definitely kept under wraps and is repressed)
i think it's something that improves every time you watch it...
plus, maggie cheung's clothes!!
how beautiful and sort of rigid were they?! she looks so elegant... and restrained
this movie (and hero which has a more traditional pace from what i can remember... not so slow) really made me fall in love with her...
i think she has the ability to be really magnetic on screen

i need to watch a very long engagement...
was that made before or after amelie? i know audrey tatou is in it, right?
yes, you should see a very long engagament. i wouldn't mind re-watching it actually..

i agree with the repression - absolutely. the clothes were so much a part of her character, i thought...along with the music and the way she moved and walked...it all wrapped together to give us a very strong and immediate sense of her poise, control and unhappiness really, i think. very restrictive.. restrained, as you say.

It's funny you use the word magnetic, as quite honestly i found her a bit vacant at moments and wondered if i was missing something. perhaps i was - this is the first time i have seen her onscreen and as you say the culture was at times without context for me so my review is probably unfair. i understood the repression, the withdrawal.. but at times i honestly couldn't tell if her character really was that out of touch or if she as an actress was just not emoting properly.. there were bits and pieces where it looked like nothing was going on behind her eyes.. although that could have been very much intentional, i don't know.

I might have to give it some time and then watch it again to appreciate it more.. i feel bad that i didn't enjoy it more

30-07-2010
girl who fell to earth

don't feel bad! i think so many factors are involved in whether we like a film or not...
it could have been one of those performances that i was attracted to for whatever reason at the time...
we don't need to force ourselves to see what others see...
it's probably more interesting when we disagree...
i'll have to rewatch the movie soon and see if i still feel the same way about it...

as far as meryl streep...
i think i pretty much love her in EVERYTHING...
whenever i see her in something i end up having a meryl moment where i need to see more of her films...
i think she absolutely MADE julie & julia...
i loved her every time she was onscreen and she just completely embodied the character...
the meryl/julia sections of the movie were definitely the strongest either way but i found myself wishing the julie parts would go by faster so we could get back to meryl/julia...

i watched sophie's choice in the last year (she won an oscar for it) and she was fantastic in that...
i feel like i need to rewatch kramer vs kramer (another oscar-winning performance)
but i loved her in doubt... was completely captivated by her, she blew me away

she's just awesome.. i feel like i'll willingly watch anything that she's a part of

31-07-2010
trendsetter

rayoflight: thank you. I belive a couple of years ago I saw some of Death becomes her, I liked what I saw, so I got to get that one.

adorefaith and ChrissyM: thank you both. I think I just have to start getting myself a Meryl Streep dvd collection

31-07-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Manhattan
Prime
The devil wears Prada

As far as her must-see performances, I'd say Mamma Mia! because she sings in it and she's very...loose in it. Very unrestrained. I can't really put it into words but if you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. The Hours is an absolute must-see, as is Adaptation. She's completely wonderful in both of them. I think she got Two Oscar nominations the year those two came out. The Bridges of Madison County is a very sweet movie. A little slow, though. And she's incredible in Silkwood and gives my favorite performance by anyone ever in Sophie's Choice.

Really, though, she's wonderful in everything. I must have seen about 15 of her movies and she's great in every one.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Manhattan
Prime
The devil wears Prada

Comedy:
She-Devil
Death Becomes Her
Defending Your Life

Drama:
Doubt
Angels In America (miniseries)
The Hours
Adaptation
Marvin's Room
Sophie's Choice (possibly one of the most devistating screen performances I've ever seen)
The French Lieutenant's Woman

The River Wild isn't a great movie by any means but it's very entertaining

Last edited by lostgirl; 31-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.
31-07-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
As far as her must-see performances, I'd say Mamma Mia! because she sings in it and she's very...loose in it. Very unrestrained. I can't really put it into words but if you see it you'll know what I'm talking about. The Hours is an absolute must-see, as is Adaptation. She's completely wonderful in both of them. I think she got Two Oscar nominations the year those two came out. The Bridges of Madison County is a very sweet movie. A little slow, though. And she's incredible in Silkwood and gives my favorite performance by anyone ever in Sophie's Choice.

Really, though, she's wonderful in everything. I must have seen about 15 of her movies and she's great in every one.
Ever since I saw the trailer for Mamma Mia I have sort of avoided it, even though I'm a fan of musicals, it just looked pretty bad...maybe I should give it the benefit of doubt.

I don't believe anyone have metioned Out of Africa, I have it on dvd, maybe I'll watch it today or tomorrow.

31-07-2010
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
well it's the most recent but i have to say It's Complicated is really worth watching. i don't know if everyone agrees with me but she is stellar in this movie, and honestly the whole movie is quite hilarious - i don't often find hollywood films funny but this one really cracked me up.
ABSOLUTELY. It's Complicated was surprisingly wonderful... Meryl looked so natural in this role, and she played her character beautifully. My mother isn't a Meryl fan, but I told her she should watch the flick anyway and she really enjoyed it.

V.I.P.

Talking about Meryl Streep and her movies.
I know she is respected actress and have done tons of good movies.
But I just donīt really...like her that much.
I donīt know why.
She seems to be sweet person but on screen she is little...

But there are few movies I really like her in.
One (and must be one of my favourite movies of all time actually...)
is Death Becomes Her.
I have seen it like billion times and still find it hilarious and well done movie.
also Mamma Mia! feel good movie.
and Sophie's Choice is also good...as many people know.
Oh and I liked Julie&Julia also.
Am I bad person because I am not so into Meryl?
It feels like when ever I tell that for people they are like

``WHAAAAAT?!?!?! you crazy womanīī

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, lovers, thread