How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-07-2010
trendsetter

^ you crazy women! lol

photogallery.filmofilia.com

CHLOE - 4.5

Pros:
- Julianne Moore is a great actress. This isn’t close to her best work, but she’s still excellent.
- Liam Neeson has alot of presence.
- Amanda Seyfried’s big, slightly creepy eyes are put to good use here. And she’s also fairly convincing in the role
- The locations they chose really were superb.
- I kinda liked the music.
- The basic premise of the movie is quite good.

Cons:
- The twist was kind of ludicrous. I didn’t see it coming. That’s the only good thing I can say about it.
- By the end of the movie, I couldn’t stand or didn’t buy a single character - an almost hilarious completely awful death scene
- The lesbian sex scene and basically all of the nudity seems more…sensationalistic then necessary. The sex scene felt a bit cheep.
- Even though the locations were wonderful, they didn’t really employ them as well as they should have. When your characters live, work, f*** and play in architectural/interior design masterpieces, you should play it up a bit more.
- There’s a last shot that’s clearly trying to be all clever and ambiguous and it does NOT work.
- Once you get past the first half hour or so, the character’s actions start to become really…inexplicable. I don’t feel like I’m missing something that would explain it, I feel like the movie just has people do things to move the story along without regard to basic questions such as “would this character do this?”
- It really wasn’t very thrilling or scary. This isn’t really a big deal, but it was advertised as a thriller, which it tries and fails to be.

Last edited by KINGofVERSAILLES; 31-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.

02-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna-maria View Post
Talking about Meryl Streep and her movies.
I know she is respected actress and have done tons of good movies.
But I just don´t really...like her that much.
I don´t know why.
She seems to be sweet person but on screen she is little...

But there are few movies I really like her in.
One (and must be one of my favourite movies of all time actually...)
is Death Becomes Her.
I have seen it like billion times and still find it hilarious and well done movie.
also Mamma Mia! feel good movie.
and Sophie's Choice is also good...as many people know.
Oh and I liked Julie&Julia also.
Am I bad person because I am not so into Meryl?
It feels like when ever I tell that for people they are like

``WHAAAAAT?!?!?! you crazy woman´´

Ha,ha ha! I love Meryl but she is like Al Pacino. You even love her/him or hate her/him.

I love both of them. ( Al is also so hot..)

Sophies choice and hours are brilliant!She has done many good movies. I´ts complicated was a dicapointment. But her acting was good in it though.
This is a fun thread! Great that we movienerds have this own little topic!

Oh, and about chloe. It was kind of a mediacore but i think Amanda was the best thing in it. Before chloe i had seen her only really lame roles like dear John for example and i tought she is the next Jessica Alba romcom snoozefest actress. But she proved me wrong. That girl has talent and she stole the show from Julianne which is dificult, because mrs.Moore is brilliant.

About Lars von trier i warmly recommend DOGVILLE. That movie is one of my all time favorite and just watch it and you understand. It also has amazing cast.

02-08-2010
i'm almost ready..

I thought chloé was okay.. not great and not terrible. the ending was pretty bad, i thought it sort of stained the whole movie and cheapened it, actually. it turned it into some strange faux thriller, when instead it could have been a quirky psychological story. i really like julianne moore and i thought she did a good job... amanda seyfried was better than expected too - i think for the most part it was just poorly executed.. borderline silly, but with moments that redeemed it. i think i'd say it is probably worth watching as long as you don't expect too much.

saw Doubt the other night. both meryl and phillip seymour hoffman gave really riveting performances - they made the movie. i don't think i would have liked the film or the story that much if not for them. they both have so much going on in any given moment.. they give their characters so much depth, all they have to do is glance a certain way and you are flooded with emotion and thought.

also watched Flight of the red balloon... i'd really, really recommend this one.

03-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita-karoliina View Post
About Lars von trier i warmly recommend DOGVILLE. That movie is one of my all time favorite and just watch it and you understand. It also has amazing cast.
I agree with this. You might feel it goes by a bit slowly at times, but trust me you got to stick by till the end - 'cause the ending is amazing .

03-08-2010
V.I.P.

This is not the best film of movie history but few days ago I saw ZOMBIELAND and let me tell you, it was pretty awsome

entertaining and ... bloody.
woody harrelson is so funny.
and oh yeah, there is coming zombieland 2!!!

V.I.P.

Yeah, Doubt is really good. I think Amy Adams is one of the best as Meryl is too. Also Junebug is amazing!

03-08-2010
trendsetter

If you're into Lars von Trier, watch Dancer in the Dark with Bjork. INCREDIBLE movie.

VERTIGO - 10

Like all the best Hitchcock movies, Vertigo is extremely tense and involving, is full of interesting characters, has great visual style, and is built upon a very good premise. I remember really almost nothing about Vertigo from a past viewing so the twist was surprising to me and, really, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I have a love/hate relationship with Jimmy Stewart and here he's at his best. He a very convincing everyman and he's also got a very convincing wounded hero thing going on. Kim Novak is nothing short of great in a role that requires quite a bit of range. I loved the costumes and settings and score. And it's really a haunting movie. I was kind of afraid watching it all alone in my room at night Embarassed . So yeah, thrilling, haunting, entertaining, etc. Another home run for Hitchcock.

THE COMPANY - 7

The ballet sequences are really beautiful and it's just a pleasant, pretty even keel movie. It's too bad the characters aren't a bit more fleshed out. It's hard to truly care about them.

IN THE BEDROOM - 9.5

I don't have alot to say about this movie except that the movie is absolutely heartbreaking. I had to pause it on two occasions because I was crying too hard to see the screen or really pay attention. BRILLIANT acting. So not...showy. But so real. I ****ing knew those characters. The only thing I take issue with is SPOILERS Matt, Ruth, and Willis all being in on killing Richard. I'm just not entirely convinced those characters would do such a thing. I know that grief and tragedy changes people and brings out things that would never normally surface, but it just seems a tiny bit fake. Maybe I'll chance my mind on a re-watch, I dunno.

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT - 10

Mark Ruffalo is so good and so sexy in this movie. I appreciated his three or four nude scenes.
Annette Benning's two oscar nominated performances aren't nearly as good as her performance here.
Julianne Moore was so different then she usually is in movies. She was so unhinged. lol
Josh and Mia were both really good as well. Neither annoyed me for one second which is quite remarkable considering my track record for finding the children really really annoying in movies about adults.
It's more hilarious then most movies that are supposed to be 100% comedy. Even the sad or dramatic parts are a bit funny
The sex in this movie is pretty primal. I liked that.
I loved the locations/sets. Kind of chic without feeling forced. They seem like actual places these characters would occupy.
The music was really good
Not many movies can make me laugh and cry. This is one of them.
There need to be more movies like this one.

V.I.P.

Just little notice, I recently watched Remember me and Rob Pattinson can act! I used to thought otherwise but man i was wrong.
The movie otherwise was mediacore and womanlead was a total miss.

10-08-2010
i'm almost ready..

Okay... i am love... who has seen it? just saw it tonight...

10-08-2010
trendsetter

I am Love was a wonderful Italian melodrama. Especially because of the coherent wardrobe by Raf Simons for Tilda's character and the emotional music.

10-08-2010
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
I want to live in that movie

10-08-2010
trendsetter

Me too. Sublimely gorgeous.

backstage pass

I watched Angels and Demons last night and I have to say I am not a fan. It had an odd twist at the end (which I wont spoil for anyone who hasn't watched the movie) but I just didn't get it all. Quite hard to follow and a bit gory and some parts but not a fan. What does everyone else think who was watched it?

Also, watched The Assassination of Jesse James with Brad Pitt in and I hated it. I had to turn it off because myself and my mum just didn't understand it. Quite a hard plot to follow and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, quite upset because I usually like Brad's movies but this one was appalling.

11-08-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
I really want to see this ! It's not out here yet though

The last film I saw was Salt, which I loved (Angelina Jolie ) and before that Inception, which I thought was just okay, but my boyfriend thought it was amazing and one of the best films he saw in the past years. Marion Cotillard was great in it though..

We also rented Happines and Before Sunrise today.. Has anybody seen these? What did you think?

13-08-2010
front row

Happiness is appallingly funny

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
film, lovers, thread