How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
14-03-2013
  106
V.I.P.
 
Not Plain Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,996
I thought the kids DID do jail time? (or are doing...)

__________________
Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
  Reply With Quote
 
15-03-2013
  107
V.I.P.
 
sobriquet87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: My Imagination
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,295
Here's how they were sentenced:

Rachel Lee (the ringleader...portrayed by Katie Chang in the film)-- 4 years in prison
Nick Prugo (Israel Broussard)-- 2 years in prison
Alexis Neiers (Emma Watson)-- sentenced to 180 days in prison, but only served 30 days due to her felony plea, but she got 3 years probation.
Johnny Ajar-- sentenced to 3 years in prison

I couldn't find information about what the others' sentences.

  Reply With Quote
16-03-2013
  108
trendsetter
 
KINGofVERSAILLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm from Here
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,134
Well, I'm no one's judge and I don't know many of the facts, but based on my understanding of what happened, those sentences seem about right.


Apparently, Alexis has turned her life around, is sober, and is studying to be an abuse counselor of some sort.

__________________
Here is my TUMBLR
  Reply With Quote
16-03-2013
  109
V.I.P.
 
LoveMyBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: east coast via de west
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
Idk, from what I read of the script, the film seems to focus primarily on the Marc and Rebecca characters. If anything, Marc's the focus of the film and how everyone dragged him down and caused him to spiral out of control. Emma's character does have a vital role throughout though. What I seem to understand is that the film and advertising are relying on Emma, since she is obviously the one that'll bring a strong viewership to the film. C'mon, it's Emma Watson. With her, you can't go wrong in getting views and thus it appears the film revolves solely on her.
In that case, it sounds similar to the Lifetime version haha I've stayed away from watching it but I'm sure I'm probably gonna succumb to it sooner or later: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935749/

Though I'm usually in high favor of Coppola's casting choices, this time 'round I'm pretty apathetic. I know there's a lot of love for Emma Watson on this forum but I'm indifferent to her acting abilities. I'm not surprised by her casting though, Watson is usually characterized by pretty genteel performances as far as I know from "Perks of Being a Wallflower" and the "Harry Potter" series (wasn't a fan of either hence the indifference) and that would fit along nicely with Coppola's films.

__________________
reality television... "warps the minds of our children and weakens the resolve of our allies"
  Reply With Quote
16-03-2013
  110
V.I.P.
 
TREVOFASHIONISTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: N.Y.C.
Gender: homme
Posts: 13,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
Well, I'm no one's judge and I don't know many of the facts, but based on my understanding of what happened, those sentences seem about right.


Apparently, Alexis has turned her life around, is sober, and is studying to be an abuse counselor of some sort.
she's engaged and pregnant

__________________
Daria W.Maryna.Natasha.Sasha.Snejana
Malaika.Irene.Mijo.Cindy.Imaan
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2013
  111
fashion elite
 
jmrmartinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portugal
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,633
^^I think Emmas performance in "Perks of Being a Wallflower" was pretty good, just the fact that she competely took out that strong english accent was a serious job already.

__________________
Daphne Groeneveld.Daria Strokous.Suvi Koponen.Caroline Brasch Nielsen.Vanessa Axente.Julia Nobis
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2013
  112
tfs star
 
chickadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern United States
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots View Post

Though I'm usually in high favor of Coppola's casting choices, this time 'round I'm pretty apathetic. I know there's a lot of love for Emma Watson on this forum but I'm indifferent to her acting abilities. I'm not surprised by her casting though, Watson is usually characterized by pretty genteel performances as far as I know from "Perks of Being a Wallflower" and the "Harry Potter" series (wasn't a fan of either hence the indifference) and that would fit along nicely with Coppola's films.
I'm with you. I'm a fan of hers generally, and I comment on her board regularly, but when it comes to her acting abilities, I've yet to be convinced. I did like Perks of Being a Wallflower quite a bit (but then I was a huge fan of the book), and Emma didn't stand out to me. Her performance was fine, but she paled in comparison to Lerman and Ezra. And to me, she didn't have to. Not only did both give her room to shine in her scenes with them, but her character is the soul of the novel. She had ample time room, and just didn't use it, IMO. Her accent was also pretty inconsistent, but that's just me.

I do look forward to her performance in Bling Ring. From the trailer, she seems more confident so I have a little hope.

  Reply With Quote
17-03-2013
  113
you soft and only
 
blueorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,454
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Emma Watson on the slightest, but I think she could give a pretty good portrayal of someone like Alexis Neiers. I can't really think of another actress who would be suitable for the role.

  Reply With Quote
17-03-2013
  114
V.I.P.
 
sobriquet87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: My Imagination
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,295
I think other actresses definitely could have played Nikki (aka Alexis). The character seems like the generic wannabe famewhore. In fact, there are quite a few young actresses who are quite similar to the character and therefore wouldn't have to act too hard.

I think Sophia chose Emma to emphasis the stark contrast of Emma (and people like her) to the Bling Ring gang-- aka people who are obsessed with money, fame, and have no real ambitions in life.

Based on interviews from Sophia and other cast members, the film is more a social commentary on our society's obsession with glamour, celebrity, and stupidity. It's not just about the Bling Ring. They function more as a useful plot device than the actual focal point. At least that's my understanding.


Last edited by sobriquet87; 17-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
19-03-2013
  115
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sandusky
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,200
So basically Emma is just playing a dirtier version of a character she's already done? (Pauline in 'Ballet Shoes' was a spoiled brat famewhore no matter how self-sacrificing and noble the movie tried to make her out to be.) UGH!

How is Rupert Grint stuck getting CBS comedies while she's working with A directors? He's got range and it reflects in his movies, while she's getting praised for essentially acting pretty. (It also disappoints me because Emma is supposed to be super-smart, but she might as well be Kate Hudson for what types of roles she keeps choosing to play.)

  Reply With Quote
20-03-2013
  116
V.I.P.
 
sobriquet87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: My Imagination
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,295
This thread isn't about Rupert or even Emma for that matter. It's about the work of Sophia Coppola. Emma isn't even the main character in The Bling Ring. She's tweeted this herself. Katie and Israel's characters are the main ones. Emma's just a supporting role. But I think Rupert's new TV show sounds awesome. Even Stephen Fry is involved. And I think most would agree that TV is where it's at these days. There are so many amazing TV shows on right now or coming up; whereas, film is very much hit and miss. If its not some predictable action flick with explosions and the objectification of women, its a book adaptation, or a remake. Originality in film is very rare these days.

That said, Im still excited about this movie for reasons stated in my previous post. Plus, it's Sophia Coppola. I think this movie will surprise people. It's not gonna be what people expect...at least I hope not.

  Reply With Quote
30-03-2013
  117
trendsetter
 
KINGofVERSAILLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm from Here
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,134
It's Sofia, not Sophia. Not trying to be rude or anything. I used to misspell it as well.

__________________
Here is my TUMBLR
  Reply With Quote
31-03-2013
  118
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sandusky
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,200
So I watched Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train recently, and couldn't have been more impressed with him. He found humanity where Sofia found weirdness. He found common bonds while Sofia only saw exoticism. Jim Jarmusch is from the Midwest (Ohio, to be exact) but he was able to capture Japanese people in a way that Sofia, a daughter of the Hollywood elite, couldn't.

(The first segment of MT deals with a Japanese couple visiting Memphis to explore the famous sites.)

And the fact that he was so respectful makes me even more weary of accepting any excuses for Sofia's xenophobia. (Which isn't to say that Jim Jarmusch isn't capable of producing crap. 'Dead Man' is basically a just a Hipster's Romanticized and New Agey version of the West. And very problematic on many levels.)

  Reply With Quote
01-04-2013
  119
front row
 
SussyBela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brazil
Gender: femme
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet87 View Post
This thread isn't about Rupert or even Emma for that matter. It's about the work of Sophia Coppola. Emma isn't even the main character in The Bling Ring. She's tweeted this herself. Katie and Israel's characters are the main ones. Emma's just a supporting role. But I think Rupert's new TV show sounds awesome. Even Stephen Fry is involved. And I think most would agree that TV is where it's at these days. There are so many amazing TV shows on right now or coming up; whereas, film is very much hit and miss. If its not some predictable action flick with explosions and the objectification of women, its a book adaptation, or a remake. Originality in film is very rare these days.

That said, Im still excited about this movie for reasons stated in my previous post. Plus, it's Sophia Coppola. I think this movie will surprise people. It's not gonna be what people expect...at least I hope not.

Well said.

  Reply With Quote
01-04-2013
  120
trendsetter
 
KINGofVERSAILLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I'm from Here
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
So I watched Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train recently, and couldn't have been more impressed with him. He found humanity where Sofia found weirdness. He found common bonds while Sofia only saw exoticism. Jim Jarmusch is from the Midwest (Ohio, to be exact) but he was able to capture Japanese people in a way that Sofia, a daughter of the Hollywood elite, couldn't.

(The first segment of MT deals with a Japanese couple visiting Memphis to explore the famous sites.)

And the fact that he was so respectful makes me even more weary of accepting any excuses for Sofia's xenophobia. (Which isn't to say that Jim Jarmusch isn't capable of producing crap. 'Dead Man' is basically a just a Hipster's Romanticized and New Agey version of the West. And very problematic on many levels.)

Well I think Jim has an affinity for Japanese culture, so it's not surprising he's present Japanese people (and by extension Japanese culture) in a fond way.


Though to reiterate what I've said before, I don't fully understand the viewpoint that Sofia is xenophobic. Several of her films have portrayed an outsider encountering a culture/lifestyle different from their own. Marie coming to Versailles in Marie Antoinette, Cleo staying with her dad in Somewhere, and Bob and Charlotte in Tokyo. I'd say in all three there's a sense of initial judgement on the part of the characters and it gives way to understanding. And ultimately in all three films they characters have to leave that environment in the end are are sad about it. My own takeaway of Japanese culture based purely on LiT (when I first saw it, at 12 years old, I had little to no knowledge of Japan or Japanese culture, I'm sad to say) was very positive. Different doesn't mean bad. Cultures are different. Highlighting that isn't bad. And many of the scenes/characters in LiT that highlight that are not at all fabricated. What specific portrayal in LiT was xenophobic/racist/bigoted?

__________________
Here is my TUMBLR
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
coppola, films, mermaid, sofia
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.