Game of Thrones - Page 15 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-08-2011
V.I.P.

I'm just starting to watch episode 1. I haven't read the books yet so it's really an interesting opening. Should I wait and read the books first?

13-08-2011
V.I.P.

if you already know that you want to read the books later on i'd say read the first book first, for the last episode maybe even a bit of the second book. but if you can't wait to watch the show and still want to read the book first you can just read the first 200-300 pages and then watch the first episode and then read another hundred pages and watch the second episode, after a while you know how much you need to read to fill an episode. that's how i did it and it worked out well.

if you're not sure yet...just watch a bit of the show and if you're really interested read the books. the series is very close to the source material so by reading you will only find out more details and characters but they were pretty good in covering all storylines, so the book might be a bit boring when you already know everything that will happen.
but that also depends on you, i personally want to read the surprises and plot-twists and overall story and get easily bored by reading stuff i already know (especially since these books are BIG). i love reading and imagining stuff and then seeing it interpreted on screen, others prefer to watch stuff first and then read the source material, so it's up to your preferences i guess.

but the books are definitely worth the read so i would say give them a try

13-08-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Okay, this show is amazing. I watched 6 episodes in a row on Friday night And managed to finish the entire season 1 in about a week. Wow. I can't wait for season 2! Daenerys is such a bad a**.

14-08-2011
V.I.P.

Agreed. I'm a bit behind on the books, but the series just blew me away. Stunning.

16-08-2011
front row

I know i'm soo late but I just discovered the show. I love it, it's simply amazing. I've seen 6 episodes so far and i can't wait to see what happens next. I'm so hooked that I decided to read the books ^^. I started the first book today.

16-08-2011
V.I.P.

^have fun! i hope you'll like it

Maisie (Arya) posted a pic of her with short hair on her twitter...no more of that bad wig
i love that she cut her hair off just for the show. it's so sweet that the Stark kids have become best friends irl and 'Bran' went to the Harry Potter premiere in London and was super excited (love him forever)

twitter: Maisie_Williams via ontd

16-08-2011
V.I.P.

And Sophie (Sansa) adopted her wolf in real life. So now she really does have her own dire-wolf.

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvedansen View Post
if you already know that you want to read the books later on i'd say read the first book first, for the last episode maybe even a bit of the second book. but if you can't wait to watch the show and still want to read the book first you can just read the first 200-300 pages and then watch the first episode and then read another hundred pages and watch the second episode, after a while you know how much you need to read to fill an episode. that's how i did it and it worked out well.

if you're not sure yet...just watch a bit of the show and if you're really interested read the books. the series is very close to the source material so by reading you will only find out more details and characters but they were pretty good in covering all storylines, so the book might be a bit boring when you already know everything that will happen.
but that also depends on you, i personally want to read the surprises and plot-twists and overall story and get easily bored by reading stuff i already know (especially since these books are BIG). i love reading and imagining stuff and then seeing it interpreted on screen, others prefer to watch stuff first and then read the source material, so it's up to your preferences i guess.

but the books are definitely worth the read so i would say give them a try
Thank you! I think I'm going to read the books after I finished watching the first episode last night . I was confused about some of it and like you said books will have more details so that will explain a lot to me. I think I'll have plenty of time before the next season starts.

quick question: Since I haven't watched all the episodes where does the series end off in regards to the book(s)? (i.e IS the first season the first book?)

Last edited by McClaire; 17-08-2011 at 01:06 AM.

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

First book is first season indeed. And it remains almost completely true to the books. Some things are changed so the first timers to the series (i.o.w: the ones who haven't read the books, but watch the series) can get into it a bit easier. You'll notice that once you've finished with reading and watching.
But definetly not as drastic as to the differences of the LotR books and Peter Jackson movies.

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

^^as Merel said, first season is book 1 and they kept pretty close to the material. but since the chapters in the books are always POV chapters (centered around one character) some stories ended exactly where book one ended but Arya's storyline ended with the first scene of episode 10 and the stuff that comes after that are the first 1-2 Arya chapters from the second book. the same with Robb/Catherine, there are some scenes that aren't in the first book.

i just fast forwarded through those scenes and rewatched episode 10 after i read book 2. apparently they'll take quite a lot of stuff from book 3 into season 2 (especially regarding Robb, since he's not in book 2 and you fínd out some stuff that's been happening to him during book 2 in book 3) and then split up book 3 into two seasons, so before the second season starts i would read books 1-3, just to be safe, but we have a long wait ahead of us, so plenty of time to read all the books

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

GRRM still has two more books to write so indeed plenty of time. That makes me kind of worried though. He can just keep on adding more plot twists but the actors will get older and will get more jobs outside the show. (Kit, Richard, Emilia) I wouldn't be surprised if at one point one of them would say; not more.

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

SPOILER (whited out, not the rest)

we don't have to worry about one of those to get sick of it just google 'red wedding' if you wanna know who =/

i'm curious to see whether GRRM will be quicker now to write the last two books. if it takes another 6 years for him to finish the next two books they will catch up soon, even if they only shoot one season a year

17-08-2011
V.I.P.

Spoiler-alert
The Red Wedding... I think I will need therapy for that sh.t. However, Joffrey dies so fistpump for that.

18-08-2011
V.I.P.

^i can't read that yet i only know who dies at the red wedding and that it's supposedly horrible, but i don't want to know exactly what happens, i need to read it in the book. give me week

19-08-2011
front row

I hate myself. I'm too curious for my own good. I read the spoilers, silly me . And now I wish I hadn't. So pissed.

Anyway, I saw the remaining episodes. And Joffrey. I hate him with a passion. I hope someone who'd kill him. Torture him first and then behead him.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones