How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2012
V.I.P.

I have finally seen all of season 2!!! So good!!! Especially the finale!!!
Though I admit that I thought the part with the whitewalkers should've been scarier!!!

Having to wait until April 2013 for season 3... That part sucks! Hopefully season 3 will be as good as season 2, if not better!

Last edited by wickedcrazyness; 08-06-2012 at 03:26 PM.

09-06-2012
V.I.P.

**spoiler** don't click if you haven't seen

I love this gif

http://geekbasix.com/imagehosting/images/tumblrmnm.gif

09-06-2012
front row

this gif is really good too: (spoiler)

http://theatomscombined.tumblr.com/p...nter-is-coming hahaha

about the last episode, i really liked it! but i think season 1 finale was better sometimes i thought that they closed the story of each of the characters a bit to fast (?) i was expecting a bit more... but it was good!

fashion icon

Currently making my way through season 2 and I have to say one of my favorite things about the show, besides the storyline and characters, is the costumes. I seriously love the looks worn by the ladies and gents on the show. And I love how each individual's outfits has bits of their personality and signs of where they are from, which comes through each outfit. It's hard for me to pick who my favorite characters are, style wise, but obviously Sansa is good option. I like that the progression of her style is a reflection of what she's experienced and how she sort of uses it as protection too. And I love the dresses worn by Shae too... they are so beautiful. I was really curious about what goes into making the costumes and whatnot and I found this article with GoT's costume designer, Michele Clapton. It's totally fascinating and makes me want to work in the costume department for the show!

Quote:
Creative Minds: ‘Game of Thrones’ costume designer Michele Clapton

Michele Clapton is the Emmy-nominated costume designer for HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” which on April 1 returns for a second season. She talks about the challenges of outfitting a sprawling cast in garb that hints at a fantastical history while remaining fresh.

What is your research process for “Game of Thrones”?

We’ve all read the books and we look at it to a point, but sometimes a written description of a costume doesn’t necessarily translate well to the screen. Since it’s such a complicated story, the looks had to enable the viewer to know where they are, who these people are and who they represent.

We made all the costumes for [characters from] the North from skins. For research, we looked at the Inuits and at Tibetan tribes — we try and look at peoples in different times in history to see how they would have dressed in that environment. ...

I also looked at Lascaux cave paintings in France — they have these wonderful animal paintings. We decided that every time they killed an animal, the hunters would have to paint an animal onto their costume. The better the hunter, the more covered in these drawings he would be, which I think visually is really strong. We’re always looking for ways to show who the leader is.

It’s so exciting because we can almost go anywhere as long as it makes sense. If they live on a windy, rocky island, like the Greyjoys do, then they dress accordingly: They have costumes made of heavy, densely woven cloth that are waxed and painted with fish oil to help keep out the wind. Everything has a reason for being there.

“Game of Thrones” tells such an intricate story with so many characters. How do you use the costumes to help guide the viewer?

Where a character comes from is indicated through the color and cut of the costume. When we first see Sansa [Sophie Turner], she wears things in a Stark way — very well, but they are slightly clumsy and the cloth is rather homespun. As she comes to King’s Landing, her progression is influenced by Cersei [Lena Headey] and her costumes shift. After Cersei does the awful thing of sanctioning the death of Ned Stark [Sansa’s father], Sansa is stuck — you can see her frozen in time. She’s looking like someone who has just killed her father. And then we will see her progression as she slowly withdraws from the look.

It’s also interesting to look at Littlefinger’s [Aidan Gillen] journey — he started off very much as a courtier, he was always very organized with his little chain and his notebook, and then suddenly he actually stopped wearing the mantle. He had just little glimpses of turquoise beneath his costume and the slit was cut slightly higher. ... Slowly you realize he ran brothels. His costumes, just slowly, became a little richer.

What is the process of creating the costumes?
Ninety-nine percent of the costumes are made in-house, in Belfast. We have everything on site: our armorers, our weavers and our embroiderers. We weave our own fabric with our loom — many of the fabrics are literally made from scratch.

How do the clothes change in Season 2?
In the second season, as society is changing in King’s Landing and as the war is coming, everything just tends to get a little bit more extreme. People dress up more, people armor more — it’s that false security. I think we’ve all developed quite a lot and I think it looks a lot better — I’m much more pleased with it this season, in all ways.

I loved dressing the Greyjoys [in Season 2]. Those costumes were so organic and so crunchy. We wanted them to look like the rocks on the island — they have no ambition for anything, everything is completely practical.

I loved doing Stannis (Stephen Dillane) and Melisandre (Carice van Houten) as well; that was quite a magical combination, again looking at their characteristics, what they had and where they were.

What are some of the challenges you’ve faced?

One big thing is: the children keep growing! I mean, in all ways: outwards and upwards!

But that aside, sometimes you don’t get to see the actor until quite close to shooting and, at that point, we are already quite a long way with the armor. With Brienne (Gwendoline Christie), for instance, she is a woman but we want to mistake her for a man; however, no matter what you do, women have hips. We just started making the lines on the armor go away from her waist and slowly she began to look more masculine — at the same time, the armor also had to be functional.

Helmut Lang’s Fall 2012 line was inspired by the costumes seen on “Game of Thrones.” How do you feel knowing your pieces have had a major influence on the fashion world?

I didn’t know anything about it! I’m really flattered because Helmut Lang’s a great label and I admire their work. I come from a fashion background myself and I remember in the past saying, “You know, we could really make a great collection from these costumes.” In fact, some of the padded skirts we’ve made for men, I’ve made into dresses for myself!
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...e-clapton.html

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 09-06-2012 at 11:57 PM.
10-06-2012
tfs star

I really like Jon Snow's costume, it suits his character well

13-07-2012
V.I.P.

According to Game of Thrones official Facebook, season 3 will air on March 31, 2013!

14-07-2012
V.I.P.

15-07-2012
tfs star

I'm having withdrawals, I keep watching the final scene on youtube

15-07-2012
tfs star

I want to faint for Thomas Sangster and Mackenzie Crook alone!

16-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml2 View Post
I'm having withdrawals, I keep watching the final scene on youtube
same here, I simply cannot wait for them to pick up on that scene.

18-07-2012
V.I.P.

Game of Thrones Season 3 Casting Roundup: The Queen of Thorns, the Reeds, the Tully Family, and More

Thank the gods (old and new) for Comic-Con! HBO used the legendary conference as an excuse to drop a whole lot of Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news. They confirmed 14 new cast members. Yes, 14. Disappointingly enough, none of them are King Beyond the Wall Mance Rayder.

Still, there's lots of exciting news. So read on to learn who will be joining the world of Westeros come March, 2013.

Read spoilers at your own risk! For more on Wetpaint Entertainment's philosophy on spoilers, click here.
Diana Rigg as Lady Olenna Tyrell. Also known as The Queen of Thorns, Lady Olenna is the prickly and powerful matriarch of the Tyrell family. She's Margaery and Loras's grandmother.

Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Jojen Reed and Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed. The Reeds are the children of a man named Howland Reed, and are loyal to the Starks. According to HBO's press release, they "seek out Bran Stark to protect him on his hard journey north" which is a slight change from the books, where they were introduced when he was still at Winterfell.
Clive Russell as Bryndon “The Blackfish” Tully. As we previously reported, Clive Russell will play Catelyn's uncle, a famous knight and a fan-favorite from the books.

Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully. Catelyn's younger brother, Edmure becomes the new Lord of Riverrun after his father dies.

Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion. Finally, we get to meet people from the Brotherhood Without Banners, the vigilante group that kept harrassing the Lannister troops in Season 2. Lord Beric is their leader.

Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr. Another member of the Brotherhood Without Banners, Thoros is a Red Priest, like Melisandre.

Philip McGinley as Anguy. An archer in the Brotherhood Without Banners.

Mackenzie Crook as Orell. Orell is a wildling who is also a warg: A person with the ability to enter the mind of an animal and control it.

Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane. A wildling warrior and a chief lieutenant of Mance Rayder.

Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse Baratheon. Stannis Baratheon's wife.

Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon. As we previously reported, Kerry Ingram will play Stannis's only daughter.

Anton Lesser as Qyburn: A former maester who was stripped of his chain years ago.

Nathalie Emannuel as Missandei. A slave who acts as a translator for a slave trader named Kraznys in the foreign land of Astapor.
source wetpaint.com

V.I.P.

'Game Of Thrones' Season 3 Premiere Date, Casting News And More Highlights From Comic-Con Panel

The "Game of Thrones" Comic-Con panel brought in a packed house to the massive Hall H. Author George R.R. Martin acted as moderator, talking to stars Richard Madden (who plays Robb Stark), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Rose Leslie (Ygritte) and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and producer Carolyn Strauss about Season 3.

We've got all the highlights from the panel, including the biggest announcement, which came at the very end: "Game of Thrones" Season 3 will premiere March 31, 2013 on HBO.

There was also some major Season 3 casting news, including Diana Rigg (yes, Emma Peele of the classic British series "The Avengers") as Lady Olenna Tyrell, "The Queen of Thorns"; Mackenzie Crook, as the wildling raider Orell, who "is a 'warg' or 'skinchanger,' with the ability to enter the mind of an animal and control its actions," according to HBO; Clive Russell as Bryndon Tully, a.k.a. The Blackfish; and 11 (yes, 11) others.

The panel kicked off with a highlight reel from Season 2. No new footage -- and not much nudity -- but still great for setting the mood. Keep reading for more goodness from Martin and the cast, and some inside scoop on which famous faces were there to watch the panel.

50 shades of "Game of Thrones" gray
Martin started his moderating duties by talking about the "gray characters" he's created in the "Game of Thrones" universe -- "It's not a simple world of heroes and villains. The characters have flaws." -- then asked Alfie Allen about Theon's darker storylines this season. "I don't think he's a villain. He's misguided, He's got issues, I can relate to that," Allen said. "Everyone's sort of flawed in it ... I don't think there's any straight heroes in 'Game of Thrones.'"

And even more gray
"I think she's got a huge amount of [insecurities]," Clarke said of Dany. "I think in Season 2 you saw her self doubt. She's so protective of her people and her dragons, she needs to be as strong as she can and not show her doubt. I think that's the beauty of the character -- it keeps her linked in and noble."

Let's talk about sex
Martin quickly turned the conversation to sex. "What's it like doing all those sex scenes?" Martin asked Allen. "It was fine. It was good. I enjoyed it ... I wanted to get in shape for it anyway. I wanted to feel like a warrior," Allen said, adding, "All the sex scenes he has are with prostitutes -- he's paying for it. It's not like he's a stud muffin!"

Martin then prompted Richard Madden about his own experiences doing sex scenes, but Madden admitted that he prefers violent scenes to sex scenes. "Swinging a sword is a lot more fun," Madden said, which the crowd got a big kick out of.

Where in the world is "Game of Thrones"?
On the subject of the show's many exotic shooting locations, Strauss said she believes it's the first TV show to shoot in four countries simultaneously: "I would probably put some money on it ... it's a phenomenally difficult show to do." Martin chimed in, joking that the Wolf unit is shooting in Belfast, the Dragon unit in Morocco and Croatia and the "Freeze Your *** Off" unit in Iceland.

Big questions, still unanswered
Did Theon Greyjoy die last season? "We'll see what happens," Allen said. "What is dead may never die." Martin nudged Allen to tell a story about how the show's creators and writers David Beniff and D.B. Weiss tricked him. "Dave and Dan wrote a fake script for me -- they gave me a script and I got killed by Bran in it. I didn't say anything to them, I think they were expecting me to kick off about it." Apparently they kept upping the ante, teasing him about Theon becoming a zombie, and then (of course) a naked zombie.

Fair Khaleesi
Emilia Clarke, the only repeat panelist from last year (Martin joked that all the rest of them were scared off), said she's getting recognized a bit more these days without her wig on. "When it happens, it really happens," she said before telling a story about a woman whispering "Khaleesi" to her after doing a double-take as she stepped out of a department store elevator.

The magic of television
With the direwolves now large and in charge, they're obviously all CGI. "If it was real I'd be terrified," Madden said. "It's a fantastic silver ball on the end of a big wooden stick. It's a different challenge than actually having an animal. Emilia has lifesize replicas of the dragons, I just have a ball or a giant teddy bear wolf." And yes, they built scale models for Khaleesi's dragons in Season 2. "I got very protective of them," Clarke admitted.

It's all in the material
"It's incredibly relevant, that's why it's so brilliantly successful," Clarke said of the show's modern-day appeal. "It's dealing with issues that everyone's dealing with today. The whole thing is so beautifully written." Strausse agreed: "These characters are very complex human characters. I think that's what the show brings out -- it tells complex stories, really well told." And Martin denied that the story has political undertones: "I don't think my books are meant to be any veiled statement on politics ... It's about the human arc, the heart of the story is the characters."

source huffingtonpost.com

V.I.P.

Game of Thrones is nominated for 2 Emmys. Outstanding Drama Series, Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series for Peter Dinklage

19-07-2012
V.I.P.

i don't get why only Peter gets nominated, (unpopular opinion: i don't think he's all that great in the series) there are many other great performances in the series. i guess she's too young to get proper recognition yet, but Maisie Williams (Arya) has impressed me in all her scenes.

19-07-2012
front row

alfie allen did a great job too, he should've been nominated :/

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones