How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Entertainment Spot
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2012
front row

I can't believe only Peter got nominated! No Alfie Allen? Lena Headey? Please

19-07-2012
fashion icon

So happy to see that the show was nominated for two Emmy's, hoping that they win! I'm surprised that Peter was the only actor nominated I would have thought that Game of Thrones would have had more nominations. I think with a show like GoT their are so many characters it's hard to nominate everyone, because who do you pick? It would have been interesting to see Maisie Williams (Arya) or Sophie Turner (Sansa) get a nomination. Both girls really impressed me out of all the younger cast members. And it's not like they couldn't have been nominated, I'm sure that younger people have been nominated for Emmy's before. Do you think Peter is the most well know out of the cast members? I think he's probably known (at least in America) more then some of the other cast members, especially by people who don't necessarily follow GoT. Name recognition can always help. It's sort of like Downton Abbey, Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) wasn't nominated the first season but now she is, and she's become more well-known since the first season....

V.I.P.

I think he's a great actor, but yeah there are others in the show deserving of nominations too (eg, Lena Heady). Hell even the kid who plays Joffrey - the fact that you hate him that much shows how good a job he's doing.

15-11-2012
V.I.P.

facebook / gameofthrones

16-11-2012
windowshopping

END of march? ( That's like...a century away...

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

^ I know! I'm almost done with the 3rd book. This season is going to be really good, I can't wait.

16-11-2012
fashion insider

I wish there were more gay characters in this show or at least more attractive men. They killed off the only one gay love story-line . I love fantasy, costumes and historical settings and I like this show because of that and the all the actors are brilliant. But I am fed up with all the naked women, lesbian scenes, hot young women with old ugly men, dwarfs, giants The thought of having sex with Peter Dinklage

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

^ The sex with Peter is not going to stop..or the lesbian scenes if they follow the books Yea I really liked Renly and Loras! Renly was a good character. I miss him.

19-11-2012
V.I.P.

^Oh I have a feeling they will be keeping those scenes in there. The writers have been really good about following the books so far.

Season 3, the end of March. If it's going to be as good as I hope it will be, I can wait.

19-11-2012
fashion icon

I'm so excited for the new season! I'm sure it's going to be just as great as the first two seasons. I myself, am not totally happy with all of the nudity and sex, especially since it's been pointed out that most of the nudity is of women. But at the same time I get that this is just how HBO rolls and that it's how G.R.R.M wrote the series. I just hope that to counterbalance that they continue to develop strong, complex female characters (which they've already done quite a lot of). And actually, it's sort of refreshing that Peter's the one getting all the sex scenes, I mean, in a typical story it would be a character like Jaime. And besides, Peter has become quite the sex-symbol, loads of women love him! I don't blame them, he is quite handsome.

V.I.P.

Teaser, doesn't give any info except the date.

20-11-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'm so excited for the new season! I'm sure it's going to be just as great as the first two seasons. I myself, am not totally happy with all of the nudity and sex, especially since it's been pointed out that most of the nudity is of women. But at the same time I get that this is just how HBO rolls and that it's how G.R.R.M wrote the series. I just hope that to counterbalance that they continue to develop strong, complex female characters (which they've already done quite a lot of). And actually, it's sort of refreshing that Peter's the one getting all the sex scenes, I mean, in a typical story it would be a character like Jaime. And besides, Peter has become quite the sex-symbol, loads of women love him! I don't blame them, he is quite handsome.
Really? If they want to do something different then why not pair an old/ugly/fat/dwarf woman with a hot young muscular stud? Even Cersei's young lover is painfully effeminate Besides the sex scenes, the words/lines they use such as 'I'll put a son in you' or 'I squirted you into your mother's belly' is such a turn off and a bit scary! Peter Dinklage can have sex with as many women as he wants and he's a 'MAN' but all the women he sleeps with are 'wh##es' Not just the costumes and settings but everything is literally medieval!

Even with all these worries going on in my head, I can't stop watching the show

20-11-2012
backstage pass

I feel it's more PC-hype to nominate and support Peter and his character, but I'm not impressed. His character definitely is the most level-headed with the most self-awareness of the bunch, but I'm not impressed with Peter's acting. I don't buy his character, because he comes across to me exactly as if he's just... acting. I always tend to loose interest when the show concentrates on Peter's character. Same with Lena's character-- she's very much acting.
They're too much actors just playing their roles. I'm much more impressed with Kit, Nicholaj and Sophie's portrayal of their characters. They come across much more relatable, and real to me. For pure mean-girls fun, I enjoy Jack's Joffrey very much.

Anyway, looking forward to Danea and her gang in a new locale-- hopefully one that's less Xena / Hercules-attired so we can loose the tackiness.

20-11-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
Really? If they want to do something different then why not pair an old/ugly/fat/dwarf woman with a hot young muscular stud? Even Cersei's young lover is painfully effeminate Besides the sex scenes, the words/lines they use such as 'I'll put a son in you' or 'I squirted you into your mother's belly' is such a turn off and a bit scary! Peter Dinklage can have sex with as many women as he wants and he's a 'MAN' but all the women he sleeps with are 'wh##es' Not just the costumes and settings but everything is literally medieval!

Even with all these worries going on in my head, I can't stop watching the show
I think that you bring up some valid points, that although Tyrion is a dwarf, he still is a man and doesn't get treated poorly for sleeping around. Yet, this is one of the first times in mainstream media (that I can recall) where we've seen a character like Tyrion sleeping around. And it's not the typical "prince" character, like Jaime, who's sleeping around. Which I find very interesting. And yes, I do find Peter attractive, I don't care about his hight, the guy has a good looking face!

And I will readily admit that the show is very problematic in many aspects but it seems like G.R.R.M has slowly been taking the medieval aspect in a new direction. We have women like Sansa, Cersei, Daenerys, and Arya who are all quite complex characters. And while much of their relations and character stories center around men (like in the case of Sansa and her storyline with Joffrey or The Hound) we also have character's like Arya who dismisses typical gender roles (which she does in part for her own protection but also, earlier in the series because she was never a "girly-girl.") or like Daenerys who takes on the role of a leader. The last two, aren't something typically found in medieval history or stories inspired by this era, so for that I think the show is heading in a promising direction.

In terms of aspects of the show being problematic I personally feel that so much of the entertainment available is problematic in one way or another, but as long as we understand why it's problematic (and to always question the issues), it's okay to watch/enjoy it. But it's also important to continue to work towards improving the story-lines/characters that are part of mass media.

backstage pass

^^^Have you read/seen Tolkien's/Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings or read Tolkien's The Silmarillion?

The women portrayed in them are always strong-- sometimes even more so than the male characters. And these stories were written in the 1950s, so the strong female characters were quite ahead of the times. G.R.R.M. rips off-- or pays tribute to, depending on how you see it, Tolkien quite a bit for his stories. Even the names of many lands in his realm, are very Tolkien. It would make sense since these are modern stories, started in the 1990s, that the women would be strong characters. My problem with characters like Tyrion and Arya, are that they're too modern-- it's too desperate an attempt at having the reader/viewer identify and connect with them because they're there to represent the "everyman" and everywoman". I haven't read the books, nor am I interested in them, but the series-version of these characters are just too clever, too smart, too rational, too modern for individuals of their time and place, and it's distracting-- and very unreal, which takes me out of the story whenever Tyrion, or Arya are shown.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
game, thrones